Atkins Diet Revisited

Options

Replies

• sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've never done Atkins, but I've known some people who have. Like any diet, some have kept the weight off, some still do it, and some gained weight back.

To get back to your original question: I think part of the reason for the bad reputation is that after Robert Atkins died, it was noted that he was overweight and had a history of heart problems, which were some of the concerns that other health professionals already had about a high-fat, high-protein diet. Some reported that his heart problems were most likely caused by a virus and not his diet. This paired with the fact that at the time of his death low-carb diet popularity was fizzling out, I think made a lot of people turn against the Atkins diet in particular. People who were already against it had even more reason for their position--that's all.

I think there were also a lot of people doing Atkins back in its hey-day when my parents did it (them included) that didn't really understand the diet or the nutritional theories (for lack of a better word) behing it, and they just sort of thought, "oh, just take the bun off this super greasy restaurant burger and that's Atkins". I remember asking my parents questions about it out of curiosity and they really couldn't tell me much. They didn't know what porportions of fat and protein to eat. There were some fruits and veggies they could eat, but they still refrained from eating them and getting some variety and some sort of balance within whatever nutritional framework they were following. But I don't think that's indictitive of Atkins itself. I think it's just indicitive of anyone looking for a quick fix and doesn't inform themselves about whatever program or non-program they're following.

I think people have to do what works for them. Since you grew up surrounded by it and you seem to like it so far, then it could very likely turn into a long term thing. And if not, at least you tried it and found out for yourself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    I don't think you read the post previous.

You can be in a negative calorie balance and still not burn fat- it depends on your glycogen stores. When you burn through your glycogen stores to a certain degree- about 50-70%- then you start to burn fat.

You HAVE to be in the fat-burning mode to burn fat- pure and simple.

Now, the heart is ALWAYS in the fat-burning mode, but on the aggregate the amount of fat burned is offset by the ingestion of carbohydrates and fats.

That's pseudo-science.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You can be in a negative calorie balance and still not burn fat- it depends on your glycogen stores. When you burn through your glycogen stores to a certain degree- about 50-70%- then you start to burn fat.

Now, the heart is ALWAYS in the fat-burning mode, but on the aggregate the amount of fat burned is offset by the ingestion of carbohydrates and fats.

That's pseudo-science.
    The trick is to only pseudo-eat breakfast.
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out here that what Atkins does is cut out ALL sugar. There are plenty of medical studies out there (now) to suggest that sugar is what is causing the obesity epidemic in our country, and NOT fat. I am in week five of Atkins - and I'm still doing Phase 1. I haven't lost weight that quickly, but I do a lot of my own cooking, have been experimenting with a lot of recipes, and think I could do this for a long time.

Also it's important to note that Atkins doesn't support the idea that you can live on steak and bacon and mayo. These things are portion controlled within the diet - so you get 2 tablespoons of mayo as a serving, or two TABLESPOONS of heavy cream as you have to still be conscious of your calories.

Since giving up sugar I haven't felt this good in MONTHS. My asthma and my allergies have been 100% better, and I pay more attention to the food that goes into my body. I eat plenty of vegetables, and I spend money that I used to spend on junk on good quality meat - which tastes way better anyway. I believe everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't work for someone else - this works for me. If it works for you - then who cares.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that JAMA did a study on this that was published a few weeks ago - and while Atkins was the most successful at weight loss in the early stages (6 mos) it was nearly identical to low fat diets in the long run (1 year +). What's important is that doing anything is better than nothing.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    most everyone I've met doing low carb is doing keto, whereas people used to talk more about Atkins and I'd not made a distinction, as I said. So thanks, I've learned something, even if I still think your response was a little off target given the substance of my post and the question.

Just to clarify (not that anyone cares, but it bugs me that I can't edit), this is true if you don't consider paleo a low carb diet, although I think it generally is in practice.
    Do you mean you can't edit your post? If that's what you mean then just click on the post and a little settings wheel will appear, click it, click edit.

That's exactly what I meant.

Thanks so much!

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

That's pseudo-science.

Steve, who seems to think he's actually Sebastian Johnston, a professor of respiratory medicine, likes to spew out random crap that he believes are facts.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/AP/faces/pages/read/Home.jsp?person=s.johnston&_adf.ctrl-state=39wt4x7mc_3
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out here that what Atkins does is cut out ALL sugar. There are plenty of medical studies out there (now) to suggest that sugar is what is causing the obesity epidemic in our country, and NOT fat. I am in week five of Atkins - and I'm still doing Phase 1. I haven't lost weight that quickly, but I do a lot of my own cooking, have been experimenting with a lot of recipes, and think I could do this for a long time.

Also it's important to note that Atkins doesn't support the idea that you can live on steak and bacon and mayo. These things are portion controlled within the diet - so you get 2 tablespoons of mayo as a serving, or two TABLESPOONS of heavy cream as you have to still be conscious of your calories.

Since giving up sugar I haven't felt this good in MONTHS. My asthma and my allergies have been 100% better, and I pay more attention to the food that goes into my body. I eat plenty of vegetables, and I spend money that I used to spend on junk on good quality meat - which tastes way better anyway. I believe everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't work for someone else - this works for me. If it works for you - then who cares.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that JAMA did a study on this that was published a few weeks ago - and while Atkins was the most successful at weight loss in the early stages (6 mos) it was nearly identical to low fat diets in the long run (1 year +). What's important is that doing anything is better than nothing.
    No, the obesity epidemic is caused by too many calories and not enough activity. You can become obese on any diet if you eat too many calories.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's this kind of thing that actually turns me off of the diet even more than the idea that I'd have to cut carbs heavily (although that too, as I like the level of carbs I'm at). I really don't understand why you'd want such a prescriptive diet. I also am always puzzled when people talk about how they are eating veggies or whatever on it, as if they couldn't be if not doing a prescriptive diet. I eat lots of veggies, and I just count calories and focus on the macro levels that works for me (which has changed over time due to changes in my activity level and so on).

I'm not being critical--and I agree with you that the rap on Atkins for being for people who eat nothing but bacon and cheese 24/7 is unfair (although part of this is that the diet itself changed from the early days, I believe, and some supporters still like to talk up this aspect that you say is no more)--but it's something that I never do understand, just as I don't get why people like diets that give you a specific daily meal plan.

But I certainly can see that cutting carbs would be for some people a relatively easy way to cut calories and feel fuller.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    ON HERE, Atkins and low carb eating plans are shunned because it's apparently bad to do anything other than IIFYM. I've been doing keto for over a year. I find eating this way easy and delicious. If I know I'm going to be going out to eat, I look up the menus online and pre-select a low carb meal. SOME people can't sustain this way of eating and that's fine. But for some to say that it can't be sustained in general, that is just not true.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for several years about 8-10 years ago. I lost lots of weight and kept it off fairly well. The problem was I did get very bored of the limited food options. I don't eat seafood because it grosses me out so that limited my options even more. It also felt like the minute I decided to splurge on something sweet It set me back by 2-3 weeks.

I think if I'd tried a little harder to stick with it as a lifestyle and learned how to cook more dishes with variety of flavors I would probably have been fine... but after several years of eating the exact same thing every day I just couldn't do it. Even now many years later I pretty much want to throw up at the site of bacon, pork rinds or heavy whipping cream. :pensive: (My fault for not creating other stuff or experimenting with new flavors)

With that said. I think Dr. Atkins was a genius and I will always give him props for proving there's another way to lose weight... (people around here will argue with you till their last breath that you cant possibly lose weight eating MORE calories and It makes me smile). Even now 30 years later a lot of studies trying to disprove the low carb lifestyle end up showing its just as good, if not better for you, than low calorie/low fat lifestyles.

These days I'm keeping my carbs low-ish (shooting for 75 and below) so I can still have a bit of fruit and the occasional bit of bread and it seems to be working. Its tricky balancing the numbers but I can have the variety I need this way. Plus, keeping the carbs low and protein up has definitely helped with appetite on a low calorie plan.

That's the key thing that I really enjoy about it, I'm not always craving carbs anymore the way I used to. I think there is still quite a bit to be said for the low-carb diet if you can come up with a variation of interesting dishes and create options whenever you eat out with friends. You don't have to always observe the induction phase stage of the diet, especially if you are already a really active person.

If you do any kind of circuit-training or high-intensity exercise getting some carbs in your diet is just a must.

75 and below is really good all things considered; I think it's generally smart to try and avoid really high-carb foods if you're conscientious of your weight.
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    My whole family did the Atkins plan together after my first child. It worked really well for initial weight loss. I also had no problems maintaining a fairly rigorous work out program.

I learned alot about portion control, different types of carbs, different types of fats, and about different types of proteins and how they affected my body. I stayed on a relatively low carb lifestyle for about 10 years.

I didn't feel restricted most the time, I still had treats, made cookies, ate out, and even made bread on occasion. I monitored my weight and made adjustments when I started eating too many processed foods.

Ultimately my downfall was a second hard pregnancy with some absolutely awful cravings that I gave into every time. And beer. Beer is a luxury that I enjoyed way too much for a few years as well. And I didn't keep up my workouts for a few years.

I don't feel like going through the first 2 phases again as strictly as I did then, if I plateau in reaching my pre baby self, I might consider it again. I did give up beer, it was sad, but ultimately I don't need it. I am going with calorie counts for now.

I still monitor my processed foods pretty closely, and will typically choose full fat over low fat. I try to get enough fiber and protein as they make a huge impact on how I feel. I try to stay away from sugar treats, but an occasional brownie makes it in there.

Overall, I always thought if it as a lifestyle choice and not just a diet to lose weight. The maintenance part was stressed to me as well as getting rid of processed foods.

If it works, you feel good, and can maintain a healthy balance, then it might work for you.

An augmented version of the Atkins diet seems best; if you try to follow it to the letter for years at a time I think it'll be really hard to keep up because everybody has a beer and a brownie every now and then.

I've never been pregnant but I do see myself having children at some point in the future. Whenever I'm hormonal I tend to crave salty meats; I'll have to chuck the book then but hopefully it won't be difficult to return to this lifestyle choice of eating.

It's neat to hear from someone else who also came from a generation of Atkins users. I know it was very popular whenever I was in high school.
  • Edsgirl55
    Edsgirl55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Alana Tedmon Personally I think it is different strokes for different folks. You need to find what works for you. I am a diabetic and so far doing a low carb diet has helped me immensely. Can't say I am losing any faster but I do feel better. My son has been doing Atkins with his girlfriend and they both have lost considerably. You can use lower fat proteins to keep it healthier, and they do have cheat days, which may be what helps them losing pretty consistently. Atkins was known for being high fat protein but I do not believe they still push for example excessive amounts of bacon etc. like we used to hear about. I also don't believe anyone can stick to a food plan or diet whatever you want to call it, without on occasion indulging a little, keyword being a little. So who cares if others think Atkins isn't the best, if it works for you then do it, over time you will see if you can stick with it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I think it's generally smart to try and avoid really high-carb foods if you're conscientious of your weight.

Why?

• TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know where the Atkins diet gets so much flack sometimes. I started it this week and I love it. You don't get cravings inbetween meals and you always feel full and happy! High-fat and high-protein is awesome! I'm burning off fat while eating cheese and mayo. What's not to love?

For me, it's talking to people who are on the Atkins diet/low-carb. And the cult like mentality a lot of people on the diet seems to adapt.

A coworker of mine and a friend use low-carb, and they talk about their diet constantly. From talking about what they can and can't eat and how it's helping them lose weight or maintain their weight. And it's great that they have found something that works for them,but I've never mentioned my diet to them, even after I changed it to lose weight.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's this kind of thing that actually turns me off of the diet even more than the idea that I'd have to cut carbs heavily (although that too, as I like the level of carbs I'm at). I really don't understand why you'd want such a prescriptive diet.

Dr Atkins ran a weight loss clinic, it was prescriptive as that is what is called for in those situations - many people need to be told precisely what to do. The sort of person that is nearing or just had some medical catastrophe and claiming they can't lose weight at 300 lbs for example.

Limits on things like mayo, cream or nuts are there to stop the patient from filling up on "free foods" that are calorie dense and preventing weight loss.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As in my long post, the only way to lose weight is to spend time in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit. You can get there through fasting, through exercise, or through a totally or predominantly fat-protein diet.

Very simple.

If it's "very simple", why do you keep getting it wrong?

Your body is ALWAYS in fat burning mode. The bigger your deficit, the more fat it'll burn. The bigger the surplus, the less fat it will burn.

There is no switch.