Atkins Diet Revisited

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    Fat burning mode is an actual chemical process.

Calories are simply a measure of liberated heat due to the breaking of chemical bonds.

But, yeah, dude, if it makes you feel better to think that calories are king well okay then.

Hey, M 27, have you talked to all your doctor friends about Guyton's?
    Calories are king. Decades worth of metabolic ward studies have confirmed it over and over again. The metabolic ward studies are over two decades old, because it’s settled: restriction of caloric intake causes weight loss
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Like all restrictive diets it only causes weight loss if the restrictions of food groups and accompanying exercise causes an ongoing deficit beyond the initial period. Anyone who eventually out eats their restrictions and exercise will maintain or gain whether atkins or vegan.

Specifically regarding atkins I believe he died really over weight with a lot of heart damage in his autopsy which isn't a great advert for his methods to my mind.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So you can say that calories are king, but we've known about calories for more than half a century and people continue to become obese at an alarming rate.

Yes, because they continue to eat too much... dude.
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2014
    Options
    But, yeah, dude, if it makes you feel better to think that calories are king well okay then.

It doesn't make me feel better... it's reality.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    tanek747 wrote: »
    Like all restrictive diets it only causes weight loss if the restrictions of food groups and accompanying exercise causes an ongoing deficit beyond the initial period. Anyone who eventually out eats their restrictions and exercise will maintain or gain whether atkins or vegan.

Specifically regarding atkins I believe he died really over weight with a lot of heart damage in his autopsy which isn't a great advert for his methods to my mind.

Ah, no. Wrong. Good try though.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Steve - why are you pressing answers from people when you're refusing to answer my question of why your picture is not of you? Why are you pretending to be someone your not?
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Being a fat engineer several years back, I always studied things before I did them...so...I read the Atkins book along with South Beach, some Weight Watchers info, Build Muscle Burn Fat, etc. I chose to do Atkins to try to lose weight.

It made sense for me based upon my food likes and dislikes and what the other diets recommended. This is KEY!!!

I set up spreadsheets to measure everything, weight, chest, hips, waist. I went through all the phases from very low carb to lowish carb. End result, I lost 75 pounds in 18 months using Atkins while still consuming my favorite adult beverages (a big no no on any diet as it slows results). Granted, this slowed down the weight loss, but it was my choice.

I switched to calorie counting after Atkins. I have been in maintenance for over 3 years now with no problems and no weight gain other than normal day to day fluctuations.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Steve - why are you pressing answers from people when you're refusing to answer my question of why your picture is not of you? Why are you pretending to be someone your not?

Because as the Brad Paisley song goes... "I'm so much cooler on-line..."
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Atkins but know someone who did and successfully lost, he stopped the diet and gained back all the weight. I also know someone (me) who successfully lost by a calorie deficit and gained again by no deficit and greediness. As so many are saying it is all about the lifestyle change, i am learning this the hard way. I guess Atkins can work if you stick at it and i suppose that this is down to personal tastes. I find watching calories more sustainable as no foods are off limits.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    tanek747 wrote: »

Ah, no. Wrong. Good try though.

It looks like we may never really know.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/nyregion/just-what-killed-the-diet-doctor-and-what-keeps-the-issue-alive.html
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    the only way to lose weight is to spend time in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit.

Spend time in the fat-burning mode BY running a calorie deficit...

Point of clarification.

You can be in the fat burning mode by eating only fat and protein. If you ingest enough calories through the protein and fat that you eat, then you will gain fat.

So you can be in the fat burning mode and gain weight.

It's a little more difficult though because meats tend to be very filling. You tend to eat less on a low-carb diet just because the foods fill you up quickly.

I can't for the world of me manage to eat over 2000 calories on this diet because I just feel way too bloated.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »

That is a rumor that vegan groups have propagated. Atkins died from a concussion when he slipped on ice to his way to work. He had been suffering from cardiomyopathy for several years, which is a viral condition that can be caused by a variety of things. There is no proof that his diet had anything to do with the cardiomyopathy. He was not fat at the time of his death, he died from the blunt force trauma to his head when he slipped and fell.

The idea that he died from coronary failure because of his diet is false.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    You tend to eat less on a low-carb diet just because the foods fill you up quickly.

And this is why low carb diets work when they do. Not really much to do about a fat burning zone...

• AlanaTedmon
    Options
    Being a fat engineer several years back, I always studied things before I did them...so...I read the Atkins book along with South Beach, some Weight Watchers info, Build Muscle Burn Fat, etc. I chose to do Atkins to try to lose weight.

It made sense for me based upon my food likes and dislikes and what the other diets recommended. This is KEY!!!

I set up spreadsheets to measure everything, weight, chest, hips, waist. I went through all the phases from very low carb to lowish carb. End result, I lost 75 pounds in 18 months using Atkins while still consuming my favorite adult beverages (a big no no on any diet as it slows results). Granted, this slowed down the weight loss, but it was my choice.

I switched to calorie counting after Atkins. I have been in maintenance for over 3 years now with no problems and no weight gain other than normal day to day fluctuations.

I tend to take recommendations from friends and family. I buy the books and read up on them a little first as well even though I didn't really look into particular case studies online. I just heard that Atkins methods worked for people I personally know who have similar dispositions and personal habits.

What kind of beverage did you have to include in your diet?

I sometimes have a hard time avoiding alcohol on the Atkins because I am a very social person and go out at night pretty often. It's tough this time of year because Fall fests are in full swing and I love delicious harvest ales and pumpkin beers.

It's been interesting though abstaining because now I get the opportunity to be the DD and keep an eye on everyone else.

I'm glad that the Atkins helped you get back into the shape you originally were hoping for; maybe your method is a good one, since so many people complain that maintaining Atkins for years is pretty difficult since it restricts so much.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    I have never tried Atkins but know someone who did and successfully lost, he stopped the diet and gained back all the weight. I also know someone (me) who successfully lost by a calorie deficit and gained again by no deficit and greediness. As so many are saying it is all about the lifestyle change, i am learning this the hard way. I guess Atkins can work if you stick at it and i suppose that this is down to personal tastes. I find watching calories more sustainable as no foods are off limits.

It sounds like there are also some people who use Atkins for only a short period of time to cut calories and than they go back to the general MLP method of just watching their calorie intake and exercise.

I think knowing the pros and cons of the diet can end up helping you if you know what the diet is good for and take advantage of it's benefits. Maybe it's better to just use it for a short period of time and than once you've cut those calories switch back to an easier to maintain diet that allows more food options.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    In contrast, any carbohydrates that you digest basically have been processed to that degree after an hour and a half.

Yes... Which is exactly what you want after an intense glycogen demanding, muscle building workout.

• AlanaTedmon
    Options
    After trying out the Atkins for about half a month... I discovered it's not a realistic diet choice for someone who is very active. I feel like protein is awesome in how it keeps you full and it's a necessary component of a healthy diet but unfortunately your body can't really pull immediate energy from meats when you do a ton of cardio.

Can't avoid carbs.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the update @AlanaTedmon what's ur next step? Do u think that u will just control the cals? I could recommend the 5:2 diet, it works for me but once again not everyone, might be worth looking in to though?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    After trying out the Atkins for about half a month... I discovered it's not a realistic diet choice for someone who is very active. I feel like protein is awesome in how it keeps you full and it's a necessary component of a healthy diet but unfortunately your body can't really pull immediate energy from meats when you do a ton of cardio.

Can't avoid carbs.

No.

And that is the problem with most diets. They can't be kept up as a lifestyle. After 5 years, all diets fail.

There is away to discipline yourself to be in the fat burning state long enough to burn fat over time. That involves a consistent daily morning fast, with a 8 hour "eat" period from noon until 8 p.m. at night.

The rest of the time is water fasting.

With this discipline, the restrictions on what you eat and how much you eat in the 8 hour are very lenient to non-existent.

There is, of course, a discipline needed to maintain the water fast for 16 hours, but the carrot is that you don't have to deprive yourself in the eight hour period .

Believe it or not, after a few days on this protocol you are hungry urges will change and you will begin to lose weight.

So after 5 years of eating over 1000 calories for breakfast alone (because of personal preference of course), hit the gym an hour later, losing 312 lbs., going from being homebound to doing just about anything I want, and maintaining this lifestyle for the last 2 years, means I have totally been doing this all wrong from the beginning?? Well crap..... I have absolutely no problem with people doing any kind of a diet plan that they can adhere to long term but to say any ONE way is the only way when all that is needed is to hit your DAILY caloric intake and come as close to hitting your Macros as you can, and getting your *kitten* moving and stay off the couch will produce just as good of results as long as you do adhere to it is just as good of advice.... I lost the vast majority of my weight eating over 3000 calories a day and have maintained at over 4000 calories a day and I can tell you there is no way on earth that I would try to fit all of those calories into a 8 hour window. Not saying I could not do it, just cut me lose on the pizza buffet but I would miss my macros daily and that I wouldn't do.....