Bulk and cut question

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good responses. I've been looking for a thread that better explains the cutting process. Stevehawkins99 mentioned above that for a cut you want to eat at a deficit of 500 Cals. Can anyone second this? or have different experiences? Also, should I increase my cardio during the cut to speed up the fat loss? or will I just loose the muscle?

Right now I've been "bulking" for 35 days. so far I've gained about 4lbs or so. I plan on continuing eating at a surplus until I gain about 20 lbs or so. Then consider cutting down at that point. I just want to make sure I do the cutting process correctly.

The 500 calories is more a rule of thumb, but in general, there is nothing wrong with it. I prefer to look at it as a % of body weight - ranging from 0.5% if you are lean to 1.5% if very overweight.

Cardio is fine to do - but I would suggest sticking to moderate amounts of LISS. HIIT is also fine to do, but you need to balance the recovery time for this with your lifting.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I was cutting I lifted the same but found I needed to reduce some weights as I just had less energy. Also make sure you do cardio after lifting.

My question to you is though - are you really ready to cut only 2 months in? I did a "mini" bulk that was 12 weeks and it wasn't enough to get the results I was aiming for. But I let the voice in my head get to me when I started gaining weight... ;)