I'm all about that bass, no treble.

Options
1235»

Replies

• TitikiOoh
    TitikiOoh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top.

Finally, a decent song promoting a healthy mental body image.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/tpsr/44816-all-about-that-bass-by-meghan-trainor
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Representing for the skinny *kitten* .. wad up!!
    And no she ain't playing :p
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    elsie0o0 wrote: »
    except the lyrics go on to say "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night." so there's that.

Nothing like gaining value and self esteem based on what "boy's like"
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    this song is awful. not to sound stupid, but what exactly is "treble" meant to be in this song anyway? dumb lyrics are dumb.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    this song is awful. not to sound stupid, but what exactly is "treble" meant to be in this song anyway? dumb lyrics are dumb.

It is dumb.

• CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Here's something to argue about:
    Does no one have any trouble with their preteen/teenage girls singing about "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night"? Because young girls totes need to be singing about groping and sex, like, all the time.

I was a lot more offended when my young daughter was singing about licking it like a lollipop.

Eta: And that stupid Whistle song.

Yes!! My daughter started singing that in the car one day. I wasn't happy.

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

The symbols used in sheet music? ;)

• BinaryPulsar
    edited October 2014
    Options

That's what it is, but it doesn't really make sense. I guess bass is deep/low, and treble is high. But, the song isn't even bass (as others have pointed out).

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

yes, i get that. bass is an analogy for butt in the song, but what body part is treble? it makes no sense, thus rendering the song really stupid.
  • Kindlesprite
    Kindlesprite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okay. Here's the nitty gritty on that song.
    It is not about body positivity in the way it is being interpreted. This song falls under something that I like to call the fat-acceptable movement, not the fat acceptance movement it should have been a part of.
    She is not singing about how she is proud of her body and it is her own, but rather that it's okay for her to be her size because "don't worry! A man will still love her!". Not to mention that the singer is not even a plus size woman!
    What this song should be emphasizing is that it is NOT IMPORTANT for people to be able to sexualize you. You should love your body REGARDLESS of how others view it and not just because, "Oh well men like curves".

And yes, there is a large amount of skinny shaming that was an unnecessary and hurtful part of the song -- regardless of if she was teasing or not.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I said the line in the song about a little more booty to hold at night is not bothersome to me. But, I don't play the song for my kids. It's not the type of music i listen to. And I said adults can listen to sensual or sexual music. That doesn't mean I play it for my kids. But, I think sexuality is a healthy part of life. They teach it in school as part of body science, we talk about it at home. I would rather raise kids that learn about sexuality from me in a healthy way as part of body science and love, etc. Than for them to have to find out on their own. Don't kids know where babies come from? Is it really so terrible for kids to know that adults hold eachother at night. Kids will get hormones and desires with puberty. You can't shelter them from that. And they will do better and safer in life with open lines of communication, and undertstanding healthy ways of navigating the new feelings they have. I don't think sexual repression leads to healthy adults. This is just my opinion. But, we should all do what we think is best. My kids are very innocent and childlike and academic oriented. They also know where babies come from as part of body science, and they know that their parents have a loving relationship, share a bedroom, close the door, see eachother naked, hug. And i think it's healthy for them to have parents that model a healthy, loving relationship. Their childhood is very different from my own. I wasn't protected and kept safe, and i did not see healthy relationships. My kids are protected, very much so. And they are also educated, and not repressed.

I don't think that sexual repression is the same thing as being conscious of the influences in your child's life and/or limiting those you deem inappropriate.

My children are innocent and child-like and academically-oriented. They know where babies come from, that mommy and daddy kiss and sleep together, and we model a healthy relationship as well. We keep an environment where it is safe for them to be children and not overexposed to sexuality too early. They are free to ask questions and will receive age-appropriate answers. That's not repression; it's parenting.

• BinaryPulsar
    edited October 2014
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I said the line in the song about a little more booty to hold at night is not bothersome to me. But, I don't play the song for my kids. It's not the type of music i listen to. And I said adults can listen to sensual or sexual music. That doesn't mean I play it for my kids. But, I think sexuality is a healthy part of life. They teach it in school as part of body science, we talk about it at home. I would rather raise kids that learn about sexuality from me in a healthy way as part of body science and love, etc. Than for them to have to find out on their own. Don't kids know where babies come from? Is it really so terrible for kids to know that adults hold eachother at night. Kids will get hormones and desires with puberty. You can't shelter them from that. And they will do better and safer in life with open lines of communication, and undertstanding healthy ways of navigating the new feelings they have. I don't think sexual repression leads to healthy adults. This is just my opinion. But, we should all do what we think is best. My kids are very innocent and childlike and academic oriented. They also know where babies come from as part of body science, and they know that their parents have a loving relationship, share a bedroom, close the door, see eachother naked, hug. And i think it's healthy for them to have parents that model a healthy, loving relationship. Their childhood is very different from my own. I wasn't protected and kept safe, and i did not see healthy relationships. My kids are protected, very much so. And they are also educated, and not repressed.

I don't think that sexual repression is the same thing as being conscious of the influences in your child's life and/or limiting those you deem inappropriate.

My children are innocent and child-like and academically-oriented. They know where babies come from, that mommy and daddy kiss and sleep together, and we model a healthy relationship as well. We keep an environment where it is safe for them to be children and not overexposed to sexuality too early. They are free to ask questions and will receive age-appropriate answers. That's not repression; it's parenting.

I perhaps perceived you to be coming to incorrect conclusions about me (and others) which were disturbing. I was clearing that up. I was not making claims about you. I think we have no problem here. Just a misunderstanding. The things i was saying about my kids were explanations of us, not judgements on a specific person. I wasn't even reading the thread that closely.

I don't play the song for my kids, and as far as I know they have never heard it (unless it was playing in a store). I'm also not disturbed by it's existence in this world. That was my main point. That is way too little information to jump to huge conclusions.

• SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm a soprano, so I'm all about that treble, tyvm.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Okay. Here's the nitty gritty on that song.
    It is not about body positivity in the way it is being interpreted. This song falls under something that I like to call the fat-acceptable movement, not the fat acceptance movement it should have been a part of.
    She is not singing about how she is proud of her body and it is her own, but rather that it's okay for her to be her size because "don't worry! A man will still love her!". Not to mention that the singer is not even a plus size woman!
    What this song should be emphasizing is that it is NOT IMPORTANT for people to be able to sexualize you. You should love your body REGARDLESS of how others view it and not just because, "Oh well men like curves".

And yes, there is a large amount of skinny shaming that was an unnecessary and hurtful part of the song -- regardless of if she was teasing or not.

This_gif.gif
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I think we are both coming from a good place. I'm not disturbed by the song's existence other than it is annoying. I was annoyed by the line itself and my sis-in-law's performance of it. (My children range in ages from 12 to 3. The way she was carrying on was inappropriate.) And it got me thinking about influences on children, like songs and movies and television. And so I tried starting a discussion about it. Sounded like something more interesting to me anyway, as opposed to the same ol' "skinny girl" vs. "fat girl" war.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

yes, i get that. bass is an analogy for butt in the song, but what body part is treble? it makes no sense, thus rendering the song really stupid.

Bass is the round one and treble is the long, thin one? Whether that is correct or not, does it really matter? It's not just the title.

I agree with most of this author's opinions on what's wrong with the lyrics and video. http://haleyweaves.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/the-treble-with-all-about-that-bass/