Have you ever had to give up on a workout?

Options
Ive been ill this last week and not done any workouts at all as i was really too week to do so. On my return to work today i thought i'd at least give the dumbbells a go .. an easy paced quite relaxed workout ..or so i thought.
About 40 minutes into it my head started getting hotter n hotter, almost to the point i thought i was about to pass out, so i had a lie down,but for the life of me i couldn't restart and finish my workout.
i know i haven't eaten much in the last few days and thats probably why,but i felt ok when i started.
Follow the warning signs and stop i said to myself…

Hope this doesn't continue into the rest of the week .. visited doctor today for a referral to dietician/nutritionist .. You can see our nurse for things like that .. WTF …looks like ill be going down the private route then.

Has Anyone else had to GIVE IN ?

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I've been sick. When I had the flu two years ago, it took about five weeks after I was technically no longer sick to get back to my pre-illness duration and intensity. Sorry to disappoint you.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You don't give in when you're sick. You just have to save energy for recuperating then take a few steps back before you can go full force again.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i couldn't do any workouts at all while i was sick..i was too weak .. i normally do try n work through them but i work 12hrs a night,so i had to save the strength i had.. thanks for disappointing me.. lol
    think ill try n start back with walking tomorrow n leave the weights till i feel ok again :) it was quite a shock when it happened though ..never felt anything like that before.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had to defer workouts when they are sick. I had to take weeks off when I had my appendix out last year. You shouldn't even be trying yet, especially if you're getting light headed and don't have the energy. A plus 40 minute workout when you aren't well? You are a die hard. :)

You don't need to workout to lose weight and you're not being "bad" for taking off a few days because you're ill. Save your energy for getting better.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just got over being sick but you have to eat to be able to workout...Keep in mind healthy foods are fuel for the body. Also a 40 min work out is way to long for me with dumbbells and I have been at this for 2 years and lost 70 lbs.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lol even when I'm not sick, I've failed to complete workouts. Get better soon
  • jyogit
    Options
    Thanks sueinAz ..im not a die hard i just felt bad for having a week off n thought i'd get back on the horse as it were .. i guess i have learned the hard way.. lol
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    After several days without working out, you always need to go easy on yourself. Jumping back in too hard, too fast, can cause problems. Forunately (or unfortunately?) after zonking a few times you'll learn the warning signs in a workout and know when to slow down ahead of time so that, even if you don't finish full steam, you finish.
  • jyogit
    Options
    only had a sore throat n tickley cough .. lol ill live ..i hope ..lol
    oh .. and i wasn't crazy..i started back on the small weights first off … :)
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have when sick. It's more important to take care of yourself! Body definitely telling you that you need to rest. Kill it when you feel better :)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got a severe case of the dizzies while doing a long dumbell routine at a time when I was restricting my eating to lose weight. I had to sit down and drink an orange juice to restore my blood sugar levels. The long routine used up my blood glucose because I was eating only a few calories and so had drained my "ready use" glucose stores. Normally my sets are heavy but short and my body has time to replenish my blood sugar levels between sets. I don't do that routine any more and, if I need to exert myself for any longish time, I ensure that I have a glucose "hit" before and during the exertion.

The only two other times I had to abandon was when I broke the cable on the leg curl machine and thought that my absence would be tactful until it was repaired.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there have been times where I just need to listen to my body. If I am not feeling well (for what ever reason) I go for a 5 minute warm up and see how I feel after that. If I struggle through the warm up then a rest is more beneficial than trying to push through a workout.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    Yeah, there have been times where I just need to listen to my body. If I am not feeling well (for what ever reason) I go for a 5 minute warm up and see how I feel after that. If I struggle through the warm up then a rest is more beneficial than trying to push through a workout.
    Yes. You need to listen to your body and it takes time sometimes to build back up (though if it's only been a week or so it shouldn't take long).
    You made it 40 minutes. Be kind to yourself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I left a spin class on Wednesday after 20 minutes. It was the first time ever, since I started going to them in high school, that I left a class. I felt like complete poo and I wasn't even burning any calories because I was spinning like an idiot. I felt guilty but screw it. This is just not my week.

Hope you feel better. Take it easy!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just today I abandoned part of my workout. As I was doing the strength/weight portion, I just felt a bit off, so opted to do a lighter workout than I had originally planned. I did get through that part of it, but then decided to skip the run. I just wasn't feeling it, and given that I have only been at it for a couple weeks (the running part, that is) and am still struggling with "liking" to do it, I decided it was best to wait until tomorrow and give it another try.

I have pushed through workouts in the past, and ended up paying for it, either through extreme fatigue at the end of it, minor injuries, or just feeling even worse than I did before hand. It's ok to listen to your body and know when you are having an off day. Sometimes your body simply needs the rest more than it needs a good workout.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    a few times while rehabbing my knee.

You just start over again the next day.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I think most people have had to cut a workout short and it definitely doesn't make you a failure. Failure is not trying again tomorrow.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Plenty of times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Most recently, about nine months ago, I was in a 400 metre sprint interval session. Fifteen minute warm up, intervals and then a fifteen minute cool down.

I managed the part way way into the third interval and folded, had to slow to a walk.

I hadn't eaten properly for a couple of days, and I was tired and pretty stressed after the day at work.

It happens, I took it easy for a couple of days and then managed again the following week without major issue.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! There's days when you hit the gym and just nothing works whether it's due to illness, bad form, lack of proper rest, and a host of other factors. I've stopped workouts after not completing warm up sets, after crashing hard in the lower cage, and a whole pile of other reasons.

Some days just stink. It happens.