Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

sugar

BancroftLady
BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I have recently been having achy and sore knees and it has been suggested to me that my sugar levels could be a bit high on some days causing this.. I have been doing a bit of research and am surprised I haven't heard of this before - learn something new everyday..so i am going to start tracking sugar on MFP.. I am assuming the sugar in the column is grams?

Does sugar affect you and if so are there certain foods you try and stay away from now? I see one percent milk seems a little high..

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    unless you have some medical condition then no, and I have never heard of this …sugar is not the devil …i eat at least forty grams of sugar a day and have no issues...
  • ndj1979
    LOL at added sugar….I love when one form of sugar is superior to another…totally legit..
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Unless you have been diagnosed a diabetic, you have no need of worrying about the amount of sugar in 1% milk or any other milk. Who "suggested" the sore knee/sugar connection? I would get some expert medical advice.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    I don't even add sugar grams to my custom foods, so I have no idea. I know that too much sugar makes me hyper of course, but i don't notice any real issues with joints related to food intake. Actually, too little fat would be something to consider for this as well.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    I had knee pain for most of my adult life until I ordered arch support inserts. The pain in my knees stopped the day I wore them! This might be your problem too, you never know. I have high archs apparently, which means underpronation, which can lead to knee pain. Weirdly enough, flat feet can also cause knee pain because of overpronation.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Sugar makes me awesome, just sayin'
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited October 2014
    I would have your knees checked by expert medical people. It could be some thing very simple like the shoes you wear or any other numerous issues.

Just as a side note; high blood gluclose levels can have an effect in causing inflammation of the joints. This can happen with a meal or snack of highly refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, French fries, sugar-laden soda, etc.) and can increase levels of inflammatory messengers called cytokines.

Not saying thats whats happening, just saying sometimes high sugar levels can help cause it from what I understand
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    I disagree, it's quite probably sugar, and more so wheat that's contributing to your joint pain. Why? There are many many studies showing that grains can cause auto-immune and inflammatory problems. I'm no scientist, but I am a member of a FB group with 10,000 plus members and have read many many instances of reducing simple carbs (grain,sugar) making a huge difference to joint pain and inflammation. I can also tell you from personal experience I'm 40 years old and I have arthritis in my hips. 12 months ago I could barely walk some days, and struggled to get out of my car after a half hour ride. Now, after about 6 months of cutting out sugar and grains I can ride my horse again, and I have very little pain when I get up in the morning. I'm not on any medication, and nothing else has changed other than what I eat.

I don't understand people who sit there and say "have as much sugar as you want as long as it's in your calorie allowance, it won't hurt you". Based on what? It will hurt you, sugar is not good for you, and it does nothing but bad things to your body. Do some research. Sure, people like sweet things, but don't try and justify liking something and not being willing to give it up by saying it's not bad for you.

I used to smoke, I liked smoking, I didn't have any breathing problems or health issues, therefore smoking is not the devil and people shouldn't stop doing it if they like it, right? Right ...
  • Tigg_er
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have some medical condition then no, and I have never heard of this …sugar is not the devil …i eat at least forty grams of sugar a day and have no issues...

If your eating 40 grams or less of sugar a day then you are putting forth the effort to reduce the amount of sugar in your system and I would say great job.
  • ndj1979
    shai74 wrote: »
    I disagree, it's quite probably sugar, and more so wheat that's contributing to your joint pain. Why? There are many many studies showing that grains can cause auto-immune and inflammatory problems. I'm no scientist, but I am a member of a FB group with 10,000 plus members and have read many many instances of reducing simple carbs (grain,sugar) making a huge difference to joint pain and inflammation. I can also tell you from personal experience I'm 40 years old and I have arthritis in my hips. 12 months ago I could barely walk some days, and struggled to get out of my car after a half hour ride. Now, after about 6 months of cutting out sugar and grains I can ride my horse again, and I have very little pain when I get up in the morning. I'm not on any medication, and nothing else has changed other than what I eat.

I don't understand people who sit there and say "have as much sugar as you want as long as it's in your calorie allowance, it won't hurt you". Based on what? It will hurt you, sugar is not good for you, and it does nothing but bad things to your body. Do some research. Sure, people like sweet things, but don't try and justify liking something and not being willing to give it up by saying it's not bad for you.

I used to smoke, I liked smoking, I didn't have any breathing problems or health issues, therefore smoking is not the devil and people shouldn't stop doing it if they like it, right? Right ...

Wrong ....:
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    shai74 wrote: »

Wrong ....:

Lol which part? The scientific studies? The people who have reduced their inflammation by changing their diet? Or my own experience? Idiot ... do some research. I would never tell anyone not to eat sugar, put whatever you like in your body, but don't tell people it's not harmful, when all other evidence points to the contrary.
  • Tigg_er
    The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the lower the burden of inflammation. Why? They contain hundreds, perhaps thousands, of substances that squelch inflammation-rousing free radicals; some act as direct anti-inflammatory agents.

Bread = simple carbs.
  • Tigg_er
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the lower the burden of inflammation. Why? They contain hundreds, perhaps thousands, of substances that squelch inflammation-rousing free radicals; some act as direct anti-inflammatory agents.

Bread = simple carbs.

What is a simple carb?

I think you already know.

• Tigg_er
    edited October 2014

Bread = simple carbs.

What is a simple carb?

I think you already know.
    What makes something a simple carb?

I believe it depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed into the blood stream. You testing me ?

Also don't get me wrong , I love bread just cant eat it like I would like.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    It's ok to hate on sugar if you want. Don't let the sugar shills bully you.
  • Tigg_er
    edited October 2014
    >:)

I'm the devil !
  • You may be in a subset of metabolisms which do suffer from a affects from sugar - joint inflamation while rare can be one. The body can express anomalies mutations and oddities well outside the norm..

In this case sugar doesnot seem to be a direct cause and effect situation..as you havenot disclosed an amount being consumed..or a change in type, or if you are insulin dependant.

You didnt say so it can only be assumed that your knee pain at first blush is orthodontic or your current body weight is causing to many shearing forces on your joints..

A knee pain - Sugar relationship is easy to decipher..take a blood meter and track the result for 72 hours, eat sugar free for this period but increase beneficial fat life krill or fish oils

Exercise lightly 12 to 20 minutes using multi plain movements involving your knees, supported lunges, sit and stands from a stool and seated leg extensions..

if there is pain without sugar then its orthopedic related..

repeat using single digit sugar intake ..increasing to double digit sugar intake over the same 72 hour period monitoring blood sugar levels every few hours..

If there is [NO PAIN] you again know its not sugar..

the idea is to isolate when there is pain using each self test scenario.

Theres no need to go to battle over whether sugar is bad..Sugar is not bad.. the body needs sugars every waking moment.. every hour of every day..some people have work horse hormones in their pancreas that can handle high levesl of sugar with out any side effects others one trace of sugar and alarms triggers and all sort of abnormalities show cause.

Its how you manage your metabolism around an outside the norm survival response than what is usually seen thats at issue here.

Hope this helps
    Dances with wow

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Oh for the love of god not this crap again. If they want to completely abstain from sugar just let them. We can all laugh about it in a few years when scientists trot out the next excuse for people to obsess over so they can believe that their weight is the fault of the government or big business giving them "wrong food" rather than them sitting on their bums and eating too much.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Why not just ask your doctor instead of looking things up on the internet and saying it may be that? Sugar in moderation is fine, most things in moderation is fine. If you're in pain go see your doctor.
  • Tigg_er
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god not this crap again. If they want to completely abstain from sugar just let them. We can all laugh about it in a few years when scientists trot out the next excuse for people to obsess over so they can believe that their weight is the fault of the government or big business giving them "wrong food" rather than them sitting on their bums and eating too much.

I did not read in this post anyone talking about weight, or big business or goverment. Guess I missed some thing.