Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

sugar

Replies

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited October 2014
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the lower the burden of inflammation. Why? They contain hundreds, perhaps thousands, of substances that squelch inflammation-rousing free radicals; some act as direct anti-inflammatory agents.

Bread = simple carbs.

What is a simple carb?

I think you already know.
    What makes something a simple carb?

I believe it depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed into the blood stream. You testing me ?

Also don't get me wrong , I love bread just cant eat it like I would like.
    Which chemical structure would cause that to happen?

I would think that if your an EMT you would already know these things, but hey maybe I'm wrong. :p

Your just trying to get me to say sugar, he he

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I would check with your doctor. I've had issues with my knees in the past and the problem wasn't actually with my knees or joints, but the muscles connecting to them being too weak or too tight. Some simple strength and mobility exercises made a huge difference for me. Sugar hasn't had anything to do with it in my experience.
  • Tigg_er
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I would check with your doctor. I've had issues with my knees in the past and the problem wasn't actually with my knees or joints, but the muscles connecting to them being too weak or too tight. Some simple strength and mobility exercises made a huge difference for me. Sugar hasn't had anything to do with it in my experience.

That was exactly my first post on this entire issue see a Doctor first.

• Tigg_er
    The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the lower the burden of inflammation. Why? They contain hundreds, perhaps thousands, of substances that squelch inflammation-rousing free radicals; some act as direct anti-inflammatory agents.

Bread = simple carbs.

What is a simple carb?

I believe it depends on the chemical structure of the food, and how quickly the sugar is digested and absorbed into the blood stream. You testing me ?

I would think that if your an EMT you would already know these things, but hey maybe I'm wrong. :p

Some fruits and milk are simple carbs right?

Okay I'l keep playing, yep, just get it over with I need to go to bed.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

This was my experience too. Also can be caused by foot issues, poor running form, and bad shoes, among many other things.
  • Tigg_er

Bread = simple carbs.

What is a simple carb?

Some fruits and milk are simple carbs right?

Okay I'l keep playing, yep, just get it over with I need to go to bed.
    Okay then.

Hey its been fun, and as another side note I have a lot of respect for EMTs , One saved my *kitten* in St. Louis when I caught a slug from a not so friendly person. B)

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This was my experience too. Also can be caused by foot issues, poor running form, and bad shoes, among many other things.

I'm 3rding the muscle/ligament tightness being a cause of joint pain. Once I started stretching daily my knee pain disappeared. I need to get back into habit of daily stretching...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    I was a paramedic for 10 years, doesn't mean I know diddly squat about sugar or nutrition. I've never heard of this symptom, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think consulting an orthopaedic physician would be the best course of action.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Here's a pretty good article in mainstream media about a sugar-pain connection. Light reading, but plenty of legitimate citations:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/health/food-cause-pain-daniluk/
  • Added sugar creates lots of issues but I have not heard knee pain once so for. Natural sugars are good. Common reasons for knee pain,
    - over weight / obese
    - Flat foot / leg arches
    - Wrong footwear
    - Over exertion of knees
    - If the pain is seasonal (esp. fall/winter), check if your protein intake is enough.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    I love sugar I gave up ciggies yrs ago I had 3 children and gave up a lot of my social life but sugar? no way am I giving up sugar I have zero knee pain or any other pains and you can see from my diary a lot of days im over on sugar , sugar is sugar in my opinion whether it be a "simple carb" or any other food eat it if its what you like don't if it isn't that's how I live my life im not going to say no to myself , actually I try but then I end up eating a whole cake because I said no to a slice.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    just to add I don't believe in bad foods I think there are foods you should eat more of than others but no such thing as bad food. I would only say no to a food if I was proven to be allergic or something serious, hope you sort your knee problem though.
  • BancroftLady
    BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
    I would have your knees checked by expert medical people. It could be some thing very simple like the shoes you wear or any other numerous issues.

Just as a side note; high blood gluclose levels can have an effect in causing inflammation of the joints. This can happen with a meal or snack of highly refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, French fries, sugar-laden soda, etc.) and can increase levels of inflammatory messengers called cytokines.

Not saying thats whats happening, just saying sometimes high sugar levels can help cause it from what I understand
    This is what my chiropractor suggested, as last Sat I had some alcoholic beverages and dessert - which I normally don't have), and Sunday is when knees were quite achy.. Monday they were better.. so I am thinking it is related .. but that was one day.. I am going to try and monitor.. and watch my sugars..
  • BancroftLady
    shai74 wrote: »
    I disagree, it's quite probably sugar, and more so wheat that's contributing to your joint pain. Why? There are many many studies showing that grains can cause auto-immune and inflammatory problems. I'm no scientist, but I am a member of a FB group with 10,000 plus members and have read many many instances of reducing simple carbs (grain,sugar) making a huge difference to joint pain and inflammation. I can also tell you from personal experience I'm 40 years old and I have arthritis in my hips. 12 months ago I could barely walk some days, and struggled to get out of my car after a half hour ride. Now, after about 6 months of cutting out sugar and grains I can ride my horse again, and I have very little pain when I get up in the morning. I'm not on any medication, and nothing else has changed other than what I eat.

I don't understand people who sit there and say "have as much sugar as you want as long as it's in your calorie allowance, it won't hurt you". Based on what? It will hurt you, sugar is not good for you, and it does nothing but bad things to your body. Do some research. Sure, people like sweet things, but don't try and justify liking something and not being willing to give it up by saying it's not bad for you.

I used to smoke, I liked smoking, I didn't have any breathing problems or health issues, therefore smoking is not the devil and people shouldn't stop doing it if they like it, right? Right ...

what facebook group are you in? Do you mind me asking..
  • BancroftLady

That was exactly my first post on this entire issue see a Doctor first.

Thanks - I do plan to see a doctor but since I have moved 6 months ago I am on a list for a doctor.. so it may take a while..
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited October 2014
  • BancroftLady
    ana3067 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm 3rding the muscle/ligament tightness being a cause of joint pain. Once I started stretching daily my knee pain disappeared. I need to get back into habit of daily stretching...

Thanks - this is completely possible too.. I have been thinking of doing more stretching, etc.. time to not just think about it and do it :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I disagree, it's quite probably sugar, and more so wheat that's contributing to your joint pain. Why? There are many many studies showing that grains can cause auto-immune and inflammatory problems. I'm no scientist, but I am a member of a FB group with 10,000 plus members and have read many many instances of reducing simple carbs (grain,sugar) making a huge difference to joint pain and inflammation. I can also tell you from personal experience I'm 40 years old and I have arthritis in my hips. 12 months ago I could barely walk some days, and struggled to get out of my car after a half hour ride. Now, after about 6 months of cutting out sugar and grains I can ride my horse again, and I have very little pain when I get up in the morning. I'm not on any medication, and nothing else has changed other than what I eat.

I don't understand people who sit there and say "have as much sugar as you want as long as it's in your calorie allowance, it won't hurt you". Based on what? It will hurt you, sugar is not good for you, and it does nothing but bad things to your body. Do some research. Sure, people like sweet things, but don't try and justify liking something and not being willing to give it up by saying it's not bad for you.

I used to smoke, I liked smoking, I didn't have any breathing problems or health issues, therefore smoking is not the devil and people shouldn't stop doing it if they like it, right? Right ...

Wrong ....:

Lol which part? The scientific studies? The people who have reduced their inflammation by changing their diet? Or my own experience? Idiot ... do some research. I would never tell anyone not to eat sugar, put whatever you like in your body, but don't tell people it's not harmful, when all other evidence points to the contrary.

i did not see any studies listed…

and you can eat sugar and maintain a deficit, eat sugar at maintenance level, or eat sugar while bulking and you will be fine...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I would never tell anyone not to eat sugar, put whatever you like in your body, but don't tell people it's not harmful, when all other evidence points to the contrary.

Sugar is the devil and I don't give a flying Hershey's miniature who says otherwise.

I also have chronic pain in my hips. When I give up table sugar, the pain is 80% gone within 48 hours and I can walk again without limping.

Sugar works on me like poison does. If other people can eat it and not suffer its ill effects, they can go for it and brag about it until the cows come home. I suspect it'll get to them as the years go by, whether they realize sugar is the culprit or not.

I'll also add that I love the taste of sugar and fantasize about eating foods containing it all day long and dream about it at night too. Bummer.

so fruit and bread are poison too???
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited October 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I would never tell anyone not to eat sugar, put whatever you like in your body, but don't tell people it's not harmful, when all other evidence points to the contrary.

Sugar is the devil and I don't give a flying Hershey's miniature who says otherwise.

I also have chronic pain in my hips. When I give up table sugar, the pain is 80% gone within 48 hours and I can walk again without limping.

Sugar works on me like poison does. If other people can eat it and not suffer its ill effects, they can go for it and brag about it until the cows come home. I suspect it'll get to them as the years go by, whether they realize sugar is the culprit or not.

I'll also add that I love the taste of sugar and fantasize about eating foods containing it all day long and dream about it at night too. Bummer.
    so fruit and bread are poison too???
    Also, it's very difficult helping someone with irrational behaviour.