Where do you guys find the time?!

Options
One obstacle for me in the past with regards to weight loss has been time management. Some quick background info, my average day is awake at 6.30 for university (I commute and gotta et the early bus), home at around 6.30 ish in the evening 12 hours later. Between cooking, studying etc, I get about 1/2 hrs to myself every day, if I'm lucky!

I walk an absurdly high amount every day though while in university, so I guess that's a plus. Trying to squeeze in dedicated exercise every day is really hard, especially with exams coming up where I cannot afford to spare any free time at all! Any tips or ideas?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I workout at night after everything is said and done as I'm not a morning person.

You could get up earlier than you do now and squeeze in a workout then. You also have days off or weekends where you should have some more free time.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    6:30a-6:30p, in class the entire time? No free gym access on campus for students? :frowning:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am a dad have two preteens at home wife works full time have a house hold to take care of.
    First you said you walk a lot on campus what is your calorie intake maybe you just need to eat less or healthier and or plan your meals. Also I just started with a strength routine about 1 hour at the gym 3 days a week on my way home. I get my run in during my lunch hour and I always take stairs at wok. You will make time if you want to. Every one is busy. There are plenty of single parents of small children that make time. Maybe get a bicycle to get back and forth instead of bus?
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Time management is a valuable lesson to learn.
    I have an analogy for this.
    You have some high priority items: think of them as bigger rocks.
    You have some other things that are pretty important too, they are smaller rocks
    Then you have some nice to haves, they are sand.
    If you put the sand in a jar first, you won't have room for the big, important rocks.
    If you start with the important things first, the sand can fit in just fine.

Figure out what is important and put it in your time, fill in the gaps with the less important items.

Signed,
    Mom of 2 kids, full time employee with 2 hour+ commute, that takes a full course load (rocking a GPA of 4.0) and hasn't skipped a workout in 3 months :wink:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    I am a dad have two preteens at home wife works full time have a house hold to take care of.
    First you said you walk a lot on campus what is your calorie intake maybe you just need to eat less or healthier and or plan your meals. Also I just started with a strength routine about 1 hour at the gym 3 days a week on my way home. I get my run in during my lunch hour and I always take stairs at wok. You will make time if you want to. Every one is busy. There are plenty of single parents of small children that make time. Maybe get a bicycle to get back and forth instead of bus?

Agreed. Maybe if you (OP) give us more details about your day we can make suggestions to fit bits of activity and exercises in. And, do you have days off?
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    Oh there is a gym on campus, but it's gotta be booked! I've been there a few times and yeah, I get very little free time between classes, the days are very long! I guess I just need to kick my *kitten* a little harder!!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    You have some other things that are pretty important too, they are smaller rocks
    If you put the sand in a jar first, you won't have room for the big, important rocks.

Figure out what is important and put it in your time, fill in the gaps with the less important items.

Signed,
    Mom of 2 kids, full time employee with 2 hour+ commute, that takes a full course load (rocking a GPA of 4.0) and hasn't skipped a workout in 3 months :wink:

Perfect! Awesome advice and congrats to you! I too believe that if you want something badly enough you will find a way to make it happen.
  • Legend1945
    Legend1945 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    my social life is in the gym
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    Weekends off, usually spend a few hours doing study but definitely can spare a few hours for workouts on weekends, I thought you had to exercise everyday?

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Keep walking .. that is great exercise and will very good things for you. You do not need to do anything crazy to get benefits.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Signed,

Great analogy. I saw and idea for cleaning your house that might work for this...put a bunch of indiviual things you want to do on popcicle sticks in a jar. In the original case it was stuff like wipe the kitchen sink...small tasks. For you, it could be things like "do 20 squats". Anytime you find yourself with a spare moment, grab a stick and do the task. Depending on how many you have, try to get through the jar every day or something.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise at nights, when I'm too tired to study anymore. This way I don't interrupt my train of thought when I'm working. Usually this is around 10:30pm, then I go to bed after. I don't get up at 6:30 though...
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Weekends off, usually spend a few hours doing study but definitely can spare a few hours for workouts on weekends, I thought you had to exercise everyday?

If your just looking to loose the fat then all you need is a calorie deficit how much do you eat per day do you track and I started strong lifts 5 by 5, 3 days a week. What are your goals if its just to loose weight that may be accomplished just by paying closer attention to your diet and maintaining a calorie deficit. I run so I can eat a bit more and I enjoy it, I started strength training because I want to increase my lean mass. and lower my BF.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:30 am work out, get ready for work, get my lunch ready and possibly dinner if one of the kids has sports that night, get two young boys up and in gear, drive to work, work 8 hours, go home, homework with the kids, finish up dinner, most likely a sports practice and family time then bed. My "alone time" is my work out time. It is the best thing I can do for me every single day. I MAKE time for it.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Signed,

And even after you put the sand in, there's still room to put some beer in. Not saying you have to drink, but it's important to remember to enjoy yourself sometimes, too.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Just like everything else, the more of a priority it is the more likely you are to find time for it. When it became a big enough thing for me I made it fit into my schedule. Yes, it was at the expense of some other things - but this became more important to me than those other things. When it becomes important enough for you, you'll also make the time for it.....
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I start slowly by going on 30 minute runs 3x/ week. 30 minutes out of your day is nothing ! also, eating healthy helps a lot !! you don't have to worry about working it off when you eat well and don't go over your calorie budget :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »

Signed,

Great analogy. I saw and idea for cleaning your house that might work for this...put a bunch of indiviual things you want to do on popcicle sticks in a jar. In the original case it was stuff like wipe the kitchen sink...small tasks. For you, it could be things like "do 20 squats". Anytime you find yourself with a spare moment, grab a stick and do the task. Depending on how many you have, try to get through the jar every day or something.

oh I love that idea!!!
    I am terrible at cleaning up- but I'm also really inefficient once I get home (I'm fine with a plan and when I have things scheduled- but once I get home- I tend to melt onto the couch and stop functioning)

I would also like to say- no one finds time.
    Working out is something prioritize and make time for.
    No one "finds time" to pick up their kids. They just do it- because it has to get done.
    For me- dance class- working out- these things MUST get done- I must be there.

So that's what happens.

Make it an appointment and just do it.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know that when I was in Uni walking everywhere (with a 1.5 hour bus commute) I maintained my weight (ish), while consuming loads and loads of food. Sure, I would be starving after walking to the grocery store and lugging 6 bags of groceries back, but then I'd fill up on the frozen foods, ice cream and packaged foods I'd bought! I don't know what your diet is like, but I see you haven't logged any food in your diary.

So honestly during this time you should probably just focus on your food intake, and keep on walking everywhere - get off the bus a few stops early, try to walk at a faster pace (as though you're late) to get to where you're going, etc.

Those dedicated workouts aren't strictly necessary if you are generally active, especially with exams - and if you ever do a dissertation, forget about it! There's always time to get back into a dedicated routine over the summer, or Christmas break, especially if during those times you're usually less active.
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options

Signed,

Fantastic analogy