Where do you guys find the time?!

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Finding time is a passive endeavor. Making time is more proactive.

Somehow I doubt that you are actually in class for 12 hours per day. Learning time management will be a valuable tool in the real world.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I cycle to and from work, it takes about an hour each way. It would take me about the same amount of time on public transport so it doesn't take any extra time out of my day, and it burns about 1500 calories :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You make time! I get up by 3:30 a.m. to gym by 5:00 a.m.. Others would do this in the evening, but as a single parent that works full time and has to feed a child, keep a house and play soccer mom, that one isn't an option for me.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    OP, suggest you work on time management because if you're finding it tough now then believe me it's going to get harder! Commute + full time job + relationships/ family/ kids + household chores = not enough hours in the day without some clever juggling and prioritising. Honestly, I'd kill to be a full time student again :wink:
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier. I get up at 5 a.m. because I know I won't exercise after work.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 to work out. I work from 7-4:30/5. If I have time when I get home, I work out again. And I work out on weekends. But I like knowing that I have my morning workout as a buffer if anything else comes up.
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I work from 4pm to 6am (if I get relieved from work on time). I'm exhausted, but I work out before I start my shift. It's simply time management. If you really want to work out, you make the time for it.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It not about having time, its about making excuses. I get up at 4:30am to workout and then my day begins too. I work full time and have a 5 year old to take care of. I dont get home until 7 on most nights. If I dont workout in the morning, chances are I wont workout at all. So you just have to make the time to do it.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It may not seem like it to many, but for me, my health is my number one priority. With it, I can do more of everything, without it, almost nothing else is possible. Like one poster said, make health a Big Rock. I have a very demanding job, a family and I'm a competitive Bodybuilder. What I give up is sleep. I function on about 6 (or less) hrs a day. Now some may argue that sleep is equal to working out when it comes to health but for me, that isn't true. The more fit I am, the less sleep I need. I then put working out as the first thing I do in the morning (except to have breakfast). That way nothing else impedes on my workouts
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Finding time is a passive endeavor. Making time is more proactive.

^ Quoted For Truth. If you look for time, you'll rarely find it. You need to look at your schedule and ask yourself: what do I do now that I could do more efficiently, delegate to someone else, do less often, or just not do?

Cooking, for example: I love home-cooked meals but I don't always have a lot of time, so I often cook big batches and freeze leftovers. I also like watching Jeopardy, but I'll do simple cooking while it's on, or take care of things like cleaning and tidying the kitchen during commercial breaks.

As much as possible, I combine exercise with other activities. I commute by bike to work. It adds 10 minutes to the commute each way, but for those extra 20 minutes, I get 30-40 minutes of exercise (I live just a few miles from work). I do brisk walks or hikes with my wife, and we use the time to catch up on one another's days. I try to think through problems with my various work projects while running or cycling, though often I just get into a meditative state.

Finally, you don't have to exercise every day. When I was in grad school, I ran 3-4 days a week, usually for 30-40 minutes each time, and I did a couple of 20-minute circuit weight workouts a week. That was plenty, considering that my main form of transportation was walking 3-4 miles a day.
  • LAH3001
    LAH3001 Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why not do a quick burst of exercise (i.e.: HIIT, like a Tabata protocol) when you first get home in the evening? A Tabata takes only about 8 minutes, is very challenging, and after that you can do a little weight training for 15 minutes or so before you settle into dinner and your study routine. That's a 23-minute workout.