Runner's Problems

Options
124»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    All of the above and the added pleasure of dumb butt (i didn't know that's what it was called until a friend sent me an article about it!)!
    ? what is dumb butt ?

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »
    Keys are a problem, even if you have a key necklace. They just jangle and it's annoying. I don't have the peeing problem, even tough I've had a baby. (That problem occurs when I do burpees or jumping jacks ugh...)
    I run on the university campus, and it's supposed to be "pedestrian first" but let me tell you that is only a slogan!

I thought I was the only one with the jumping jacks. I won't even do them anymore.

Nope. No jump rope, no burpees, no trampolines. Nothing involving jumping. Running is hard enough.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    for those complaining about keys...

i made a separate set of keys specifically for running or cycling. my three house keys and bike lock key on one ring. no supermarket key tag-barcode things, no giant car keys, nothing.

these can fit comfortably in a zippered pocket on running pants or shorts, or a jacket, or in many little crevices on running clothing designed for holding keys. or buy a running belt with a zipper. perfect for carrying some cash, keys, and ID.

I take my house or car key off the ring and put it on my shoelaces (unlace the first cross and slide the key on, then relace and tie). No pocket or pouch needed and the key isn't going anywhere.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Re: Keys. I either lace my car key into my shoes or safety pin it to my cellphone case that I wear on my arm. When I return to my car, I have to scramble to get my FOB and deactivate the alarm once I'm inside (opening the door with just the key activates it), but it is better than running with a bulky set of keys.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My running shorts/tights have a very small zippered pocket that I can put my keys into. I am not sure the gentlemen have a similar design in their running clothing.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Keys - my running tights all have butt pockets. Just big enough to stick a key in. I absolutely rely on that pocket, and won't buy tights that don't have it.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have also peed myself on multiple occassions during races - I'm told this is exclusive to women as a problem though.

That's because guys can reach down and squeeze it off.

One of my local half marathons the line to the port-a-johns before the race is about 1/2 to a block long so I couldn't go before. There was a couple port-a-johns on the course but there would either be a small line or someone just went in and I was not going to wait and did not feel a huge need to go. So I get to the finish and while still in the chute waiting for my timing chip to be cut off I have the sensation of flow starting and I clinched everything from midchest to my knees. Luckily at that point there is no longer a line to the johns because at that point I am on the verge of needing to squeeze it off to keep from peeing myself. Same experience both times I have ran that race.

The last time I ran it I saw a lady squating between cars in a parking lot before the race and then during the race I was running down the street and I look over at a runner that is on the sidewalk and he is peeing as he runs. Both times I wished that I had just kept my eyes forward and not seen it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    12846044674_c6c826c2a8_b-1.jpg
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    *knock on wood*

I haven't had emergency "bathroom" problems yet, though I've had long runs where I felt an urge. I don't drink or eat on runs unless they're in the half-marathon range because my stomach is sensitive when running. Don't want to have an accident if I can help it.

Keys: I separate my car key from my other keys and it fits fine in my running tights' pocket. I'll soon have a RooSport Wallet. Going to see how that does for holding extra items.

Feet: Been lucky here. no lost toenails and only the occasional blister. Usually when a sock is wearing out and I've been lax about retiring it.

My biggest runner issue has been walkers. I usually run on a major jogging trail with two-way traffic. Walkers, please don't walk 2-4 abreast on the narrow parts of the trail. Hello, tons of people are passing you. Get in single file, then continue your conversation on a wider section.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No pee problems here; keys safely in pocket in shorts.

I like toenails but they don't like me - they all keep jumping ship.

My current complaint is dogs in strollers. I don't mind people taking their dogs out for a jog and I don't mind people taking their kids out in a stroller, but taking up the trail with your yappy puppy in a stroller is completely unnecessary.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    fleetzz wrote: »
    melduf wrote: »
    Keys are a problem, even if you have a key necklace. They just jangle and it's annoying. I don't have the peeing problem, even tough I've had a baby. (That problem occurs when I do burpees or jumping jacks ugh...)
    I run on the university campus, and it's supposed to be "pedestrian first" but let me tell you that is only a slogan!

I thought I was the only one with the jumping jacks. I won't even do them anymore.

Nope. No jump rope, no burpees, no trampolines. Nothing involving jumping. Running is hard enough.

I don't usually have a problem, but arrrgh--the trampoline! I always have to warn my mom friends before they try out my son's trampoline!

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    JTick wrote: »
    Wondering if you have enough time to drop a squat and pee before the next car comes along.
    How far are you running that you have to stop to pee?

Half marathons, any other questions?

I used to struggle with drinking too much water before a race and not balancing all that water with enough electrolytes so my body wouldn't retain water, so there was always a constant urge to pee during half marathons.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    being OCD about bib placement
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running on jelly legs just after getting off the bike.

Bleeding nipples. Vaseline seems to do the trick ok, for a while.

Chafing under the shorts.