What is your favorite way to eat beets?

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've never roasted beets at home, though I am a big fan... If you don't wrap them in foil, do they drip in the oven (like sweet potatoes do)?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    love some beets. I like to get golden beets and red beets. I wrap them in tin foil and roast in the oven for like an hour. When done, you can rub the skin right off with a paper towel. They keep in the fridge for up to a week, and I just add them to things as needed.

Right now my favorite is a salad with the beets, feta, arugula, and pistachios.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've never had a beet and by the posts here, I am missing out.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Roasted. Peel, slice, add a little olive oil and salt (or not) and roast in the oven at 425 until perfection.

Tomorrow night for dinner is a roasted beet salad with smoked chicken and blue cheese, dressed with a roasted beet vinaigrette (PM if you want the recipe).

THE BEST.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Roasted, with ginger butter sauce drizzled on top. I just discoverd the ginger + beets combo and I'm never going back.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    Roasted, with ginger butter sauce drizzled on top. I just discoverd the ginger + beets combo and I'm never going back.

Genius. Do you just grate the ginger and add it to butter as it melts?
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Raw, with chili powder and lemon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Roasted...
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Beet borsh soup. 1lb to 1-1/2 lbs of beets boiled & peeled & diced. Add to pot with shredded cabbage about 1/2 small head, a couple of carrots diced, 1/2 med. onion chopped,1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional), 2 med potatoes diced, approx. 1 ltr of chicken or veggie broth, depending on how much broth you want in your soup,you can add water for more broth as well. Ground pepper, salt, & chopped fresh dill weed to taste. Just before eating add 1-2 tablespoons of light sour cream to the soup. Enjoy
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a recipe for beet relish I have. I make a few jars of it every year. It's really good on cooked greens. I grow a lot of beets because I like the greens, so I have to do something with the beets. The ones I don't preserve I usually roast up with other assorted root vegetables. And I give some away, but usually nobody wants them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Snip8241 wrote: »
    Pickled with hard boiled eggs. So good and so pretty.

Do you mean pickled together with the eggs, or unpickled boiled eggs with pickled beets?
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    pickled or as a salad with a vinegar/oil spiced up with salt, pepper, garlic, and diced onion and whatever else is in season in my herb garden.
  • almostdownton
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    pickled. i am pretty sure after many tries that that is the only way i like them. there is the brand mama something or other, they carry at albertsons whole in a jar, they are delicious.

• almostdownton
    Options
    oh they are good. I have found the juice to be a great salad dressing. Want some now.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Borscht (or however you spell it).
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yummy recipes. I love beets. Thanks for sharing. Definitely buying beets!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I like them boiled, steamed, or roasted, cold in salad, with goat cheese, pickled ... but a couple of months ago MFP posted a smoothie recipe in its blog that used frozen cooked beets, along with berries and greek yogurt. It was really tasty, and since then I've been throwing frozen cooked beets into all kinds of smoothies. Goes great with spinach, pumpkin, banana, peanut butter -- pretty much everything!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like them boiled, steamed, or roasted, cold in salad, with goat cheese, pickled ... but a couple of months ago MFP posted a smoothie recipe in its blog that used frozen cooked beets, along with berries and greek yogurt. It was really tasty, and since then I've been throwing frozen cooked beets into all kinds of smoothies. Goes great with spinach, pumpkin, banana, peanut butter -- pretty much everything!

I do beet smoothies, too, but mostly with fresh grated. Might have to try frozen cooked. I had problems with the canned ones not smoothie-ing-out adequately so had little beet lumps. The grated has worked much better for me.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Toss them with a little olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, and salt and roast them. Yummy. Also love them raw in smoothies, and pickled.
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    There was actually a show called River Cottage on last night where the guy made beetroot chocolate brownies which looked so amazing!
    I really want to try it, well a healthier version.

I also like putting them in juices/smoothies. And when I used to eat cheese I used to love a good ol' beet, cheese and lettuce sandwich.