Please flag the spam !

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is that it's taking waaaaay too long for simple measures to be put in place here that would make all this effort unnecessary. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    You're a mod. I get that. But asking the members to do an administrative task? All it does is delay a permanent solution to the problem.

But if y'all have nothing better to do...

...whack away.

;)

Do you really participate on MFP because it's the most important thing you could possibly be doing with your time? Well then you're a much better person than I
    I don't recall ANY staff or volunteers ever contacting me to go after spam. I enjoy a challenge ... ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Spammer starting up in Getting Started

That didn't last, lol
  • snickerscharlie
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're a mod. I get that. But asking the members to do an administrative task? All it does is delay a permanent solution to the problem.

...whack away.

;)

Do you really participate on MFP because it's the most important thing you could possibly be doing with your time? Well then you're a much better person than I
    I don't recall ANY staff or volunteers ever contacting me to go after spam. I enjoy a challenge ... ;)

I think I need to clarify. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying that the mods asked people to flag the spam - I'm well aware that this thread was started by a member. ;)

But note how old this thread is! And this is a problem that is not that difficult to solve on the admin end. Yet here everyone is - all this time later when a solution has supposedly been in the works - still having to flag the freaking spam? Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Not to mention highly unprofessional for a commercial (read: revenue-producing) venue? I've been on a lot of forums, and I even admin a few, and I've *never* seen a situation where the spam isn't capable of being deleted behind-the-scenes before it ever reaches the public view.

And I respectfully suggest that for as long as the members here are willing to continue to do something that should've been dealt with ages ago, where's the motivation for them to fix it?

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

...whack away.

;)

I think I need to clarify. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying that the mods asked people to flag the spam - I'm well aware that this thread was started by a member. ;)

But note how old this thread is! And this is a problem that is not that difficult to solve on the admin end. Yet here everyone is - all this time later when a solution has supposedly been in the works - still having to flag the freaking spam? Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Not to mention highly unprofessional for a commercial (read: revenue-producing) venue? I've been on a lot of forums, and I even admin a few, and I've *never* seen a situation where the spam isn't capable of being deleted behind-the-scenes before it ever reaches the public view.

And I respectfully suggest that for as long as the members here are willing to continue to do something that should've been dealt with ages ago, where's the motivation for them to fix it?

Please read this. If you have future comments, please post them in the forum feedback thread where the post is linked from, as we do use this topic to efficiently identify and remove spam. If you don't want to flag spam, don't.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33476915/#Comment_33476915
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A few have already been taken down! :-)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    A lot have already been taken down! Thanks everyone! Get ready for the next onslaught
  • jb32hss
    jb32hss Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So many issues with this site that I never noticed when I used it in 2012! Loads of spam and the ap glitches constantly.. Yesterday I couldn't comment or like any statuses and everyones exercise was showing as 1 calorie burnt!

Guess Thats what happens when a site grows so quickly lol
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Why do we have to go into every thread to flag the post? Why can't you just ban the user??
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    robspot wrote: »
    Why do we have to go into every thread to flag the post? Why can't you just ban the user??

Mass spammers are banned. It just takes a moderator or staff to do it, and unfortunately there aren't many of us, and we have to sleep sometime. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

...whack away.

;)

On this note...no mods didn't ask anyone to do anything. MFP in the new forum format introduced the flagging system as a way to counter the spam so in effect...MFP has asked the users to do it.

Is it an issue...yes it is.

Can it be fixed easily? I have no idea.

but the flagging system was specifically introduced to deal with it by users....

For those still doing it...have at...but again I won't pay for Premium until something is done about the massive spam and I know a lot who feel the same way.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

...whack away.

;)

On this note...no mods didn't ask anyone to do anything. MFP in the new forum format introduced the flagging system as a way to counter the spam so in effect...MFP has asked the users to do it.

Is it an issue...yes it is.

Can it be fixed easily? I have no idea.

but the flagging system was specifically introduced to deal with it by users....

For those still doing it...have at...but again I won't pay for Premium until something is done about the massive spam and I know a lot who feel the same way.

As I've said elsewhere, the idea that Vanilla forums can only focus on one thing at a time, and not even deliver on them, and this thread is almost a year old means I will NOT flag spam, and I sure as hell not even consider paying for Premium.

MFP is taking advantage of its members by failing to hold its providers to account on the absolutely useless job that they are doing in managing this forum.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    And it's interesting to note that on the post that JaneiR36 linked me to above, the priority feature request that is apparently being worked on is an "Ignore User" one? Really? I would have thought that the ridiculous levels of spam that hit this board would have been the priority. And to think that it's impossible for the developers to only work on one issue at a time is completely laughable. Yet, here it is, a year later and *neither* feature has been implemented?

I hope that UA got a real bargain purchasing this platform. The old adage, "You get what you pay for" certainly seems to hold true. And would I upgrade to premium when it appears the business model here is not skewed towards the client? No. Hell, no.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And it's interesting to note that on the post that JaneiR36 linked me to above, the priority feature request that is apparently being worked on is an "Ignore User" one? Really? I would have thought that the ridiculous levels of spam that hit this board would have been the priority. And to think that it's impossible for the developers to only work on one issue at a time is completely laughable. Yet, here it is, a year later and *neither* feature has been implemented?

I hope that UA got a real bargain purchasing this platform. The old adage, "You get what you pay for" certainly seems to hold true. And would I upgrade to premium when it appears the business model here is not skewed towards the client? No. Hell, no.

Many of the things that they have been "working on" have been requested the day after the new forums went up. Very few were delivered, and mostly ones that don't matter (woohoo for round avatars!). Although, up and mostly running much quicker? Many of the improvements that were folded into the paid version. Priorities people. It's all about the monies.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    And so the members are expected to continue flagging spam while behind-the-scenes the only things being worked on are those that these same peeps will have to pay for? That's actually kinda freaking brilliant.

It completely sucks as a business model, though. ;)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    If you do not wish to flag the spam, that is your choice. If you wish to object on the flagging of spam, that is also your choice, but do not do so in this discussion. If you wish to complain about flagging the spam or object to the flagging of spam, please do so here.

This discussion is for people who are flagging spam; all other posts will be removed.