What About ?

Options
muffinsandcakes
muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
To sum it up
I'm fed with all these threads talking about metabolism stop when you follow 1200 calorie a day.
some post about "Starvation Mood myth" I read a lot of comments and actually get LOST
so I want Clear and direct answers:
1. Is it true they will feel hungry more and will eat more when they are on the 1200 ?

2. Should those who are doing the 1200 a day stop after two weeks and raise it to 1300-1400-1500 a day to turn ON their Metabolism again because it stopped working??

3. Will they lose when they raise it ?

4. After they raise the calorie intake is it fixed for the end of life and ... they still lose ?

thanks for answering and stopping by :)

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    1. I know *I* feel more hungry eating less (who doesn't). Some of us (ME! lol) would end up with too many "cheat" days with such a low calorie goal, thus "sabotaging" in a way.

2. ??? Your metabolism only stops when you're dead.

3. I started with the "1200" diet when I first started. I lasted 10 days. Promptly raised my intake to at least 1500 calories (much happiness, lol). Still lost weight (and still losing pretty steadily on 1700-1800/day). Basically, as long as one eats less than their body needs to maintain, loss will happen.

4. I don't understand this one, I guess. I eat whatever number of calories I feel like. If I want to stop losing, I eat more. Eat less to lose. There's no "fixed" thing happening here.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You should check out this video on reverse dieting by Layne Norton.

It is true that initially at a low calorie goal you will lose weight, but after a while, the body adjusts and your metabolism slows down. Then when you increase your calories people typically gain weight back at a higher level. The concept of reverse dieting is important to slowly add calories weekly without gaining weight to increase your metabolism! Hope this helps.

You also don't have to stick to this forever. By increasing your metabolism, you allow yourself at times to dip calories (cut) to lose fat. Hope this makes sense.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    To sum it up
    I'm fed with all these threads talking about metabolism stop when you follow 1200 calorie a day.
    some post about "Starvation Mood myth" I read a lot of comments and actually get LOST
    so I want Clear and direct answers:
    1. Is it true they will feel hungry more and will eat more when they are on the 1200 ?

2. Should those who are doing the 1200 a day stop after two weeks and raise it to 1300-1400-1500 a day to turn ON their Metabolism again because it stopped working??

3. Will they lose when they raise it ?

4. After they raise the calorie intake is it fixed for the end of life and ... they still lose ?

thanks for answering and stopping by :)

1. I was miserable when I tried 1,200 calories/day. I was also very ignorant as to how to utilize this website correctly, how to eat back exercise cals properly, and calories in/calories out. Luckily that was years ago!

2. Metabolism doesn't turn on and off. "Confusing" your metabolism by changing up calories isn't a real thing. Your metabolism is what it is, and it is always running. It's just faster for some more than others.

3. I lost when I started back out on a higher calorie goal. I still had a deficit, and I was burning more than I was consuming through my BMR and exercise.

4. To lose you need to be in a deficit. To maintain, you need to eat to meet the needs of your body. For some it may mean eating close to their deficit (ex: really short people). But for others, like myself, it will eventually mean eating at around 1600-1800 to maintain, which is several hundred more than what my deficit is.
  • muffinsandcakes
    Options
    i appreciate your answering :D thanks
    so I should (after 10 days of 1200) to raise calories gradually like 100 per week, right ?

and then what
    I want a fixed things for the rest of life or there is not ?
    and how to know the range you are allowed into between calories to still have a deficit ?

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    so I should (after 10 days of 1200) to raise calories gradually like 100 per week, right ?

and then what
    and how to know the range you are allowed into between calories to still have a deficit ?

I go by what MFP tells me based on my activity level, exercise goals, ect. Input your stats into the website (make sure they're accurate), and set your weight loss to the appropriate level. I've been on .5lb/week since I started 200+ days ago. Since I have a small amount left to lose, I'm keeping it at .5lb/week. Generally .5lb to 1lb a week is appropriate for weight loss. 2lbs a week should be used if you are obese and not that active.

When you want to maintain, MFP will also calculate this for you, so it's really easy to figure out as long as you follow the website's instructions, and all of your info is up to date and accurate.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

and then what
    and how to know the range you are allowed into between calories to still have a deficit ?[/b}/]

I use a Fitbit (basically a "fancy" step counter) to estimate my daily calorie burns. I find it so less confusing and more accurate than adding the exercise through MFP. It tells me, on average, my body needs about 2100 calories a day to maintain my current weight. But I want to lose a little more weight, so I eat less than that number. What that "less" amount is, doesn't matter. Although, too low of an intake, and fatigue and lack of energy and lack of nutrition may happen.

That said, I don't mind losing slowly (and I don't like to be "hangry"), so I eat just a little less. I set the MFP goals to "0.5 lbs/week" and then eat what it tells me as closely as I can. I'm in the camp of "eating as 'much' as I can (i.e. a small deficit) while still losing." The bonus of that is when I do get to goal weight, I shouldn't have to adjust my calories too much (just a couple hundred maybe). That way, I'm already accustomed to a certain way of eating--no re-learning anything.

• covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is the one case in which I would follow the scale. I hate saying that because it is not always an accurate predictor of weight loss, health, or progress. So I would weigh yourself and slowly add in calories.

Additional questions? What are your goals? How long have you been at 1200 cals? Message me and we can talk more if you like.
  • muffinsandcakes
    Options
    (*) (*) (*)
    you all great