Everything in moderation? Really?

Options

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am approaching this with the EIM mindset, but I am making a concious choice to avoid the foods that aren't going to help me reach my goals. In other words, I can still eat everything, but I choose not to on a daily basis. I love fried foods and sweets, but I choose not to eat them the vast majority of the time because they aren't going to help me be healthier. If I choose to have something that is less healthy, I only eat a very small portion of it. I think this is sensible, and it is a lifestyle I can maintain. If I said to myself "I *can't* eat that," I know I would end up binge eating that very thing and then feeling like a failure. If I think "I *can* have that, but I'm choosing not to" I feel successful and get closer to my goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    There are many people here who come from different cultures and have cultural food that isn't the healthiest to eat. I for one will engage in cultural food whenever my family has a big get together with no regret. Fried lumpia, chicharone, pansit, kare kare are some of the dishes that are NOT that good since they are high in fat and calories.
    I've personally been eating 80/20 my whole life and not had a real issue with it at all. The only time it was tough was when I was doing contests and diet had to be spot on to get down to single digit % body fat numbers.
    So YES you can do everything in moderation and it's an easier lifestyle to lead because then you still eat what you like AS LONG AS you are controlled with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    For me, the idea of 'everything in moderation' means that I'm not denying myself anything. It's a mindset more than it is about eating whatever I want whenever I want in moderation. Long years have taught me that denial of things will just end in failure.

It's not like I'm stupid and don't know what foods are healthy and what foods aren't. I do. I know that non processed foods are more healthy than processed. But I also know that I have to work within my own stress and thought process limitations.

When I restarted, while I stayed within calories mostly, I made poor choices in the health area. With every week I'm working at eating better. Downsizing portions of the bad stuff, up sizing portions of the good stuff, while staying in my calories.

Will I ever eat 100 percent clean and healthy. No,I'm not going to deny myself the indulgence when the cravings get too big, because if I try to, I'll binge, and comparatively a small portion of an unhealthy food on rare occasions is a heck of a lot better than binging on unhealthy foods on a more regular basis.

And if you're thinking I need more self control, you're right. I'm working on that as well.

for a lot of people, having that small portion of a trigger food just sets off the binge. Feeling that you are denying yourself is a choice. You dont have to feel denied. Your bosy certainly isnt "denied". It's only a few seconds of your taste buds that arent getting that fix. That wilkl go away when you retrain your taste buds.

Yes, you're correct in all you say there, but I think you're missing something important.

For some of us, particularly those of us who have reached my level of obesity, it's not just about the food. There is truly an aspect of mental illness involved. Screwed up thought processes that we can't suddenly change. If I could tell myself that not having my trigger foods isn't denial, and be able to sustain those choices, I'm pretty certain I'd be a heck of a lot thinner than I am now.

I can't. I've tried to fully change my eating habits in one swell foop, and what it has caused has been a period of time when I do well, which leads to a period of time when I get angry and frustrated regardless of how I mentally speak to myself, which is then followed by giving in and having 'a little' which turns into a binge.

Why on earth would I put myself through this horrible cycle again when I know I won't be successful?

I would much rather face the ridicule of people I suspect have never experienced what I live with day in and day out, and continue to do what I know is working for me.

I happen to like the feeling of success.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are many people here who come from different cultures and have cultural food that isn't the healthiest to eat.

True enough.

As for the taste buds changing, and the liking for some things going away, it has yet to happen to me. There are some things I eat when I go back home that are simply not available here. So, I'll go without eating it for years (I think our longest has been 5 years), then when I go home and it's put in front of my face, I eat it. And not in any sort of moderation. Some things taste good, period. If I had access these foods on a daily basis, I'd indulge in a lot less of it at a time, but will probably consume the same quantity (over time).

I don't have the "typical" bad habits of your average American. I don't drink soda, juice, coffee, tea, etc., indulge in potato chips, french fries or any fast food, really, and never have. My diet has always been high in beans, lentils, fruits, nuts, and vegetables, and yet I was gaining weight because I was simply eating too much of it all. Moderation has been key to dropping the excess, and in my case, extremely easy because all I've really changed is the quantity.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Show me a person who can't eat unhealthy food in moderation to satisfy cravings, and I can show you another person that can't completely cut out a favorite unhealthy food because if they try, eventually they'll end up binging on it later.

Find the way that works for you, and go with that. Both have merit. Or do both depending.

I CANNOT eat just one York peppermint patty. If I try, I'll do the food equivalent of waking up in a seedy motel in Tijuana covered in hookers and blow. I just don't eat them anymore.

Ice cream, however, if I try to completely cut out, I'll be miserable to the point of simply quitting my diet out of frustration. I try to eat some ice cream on occasion and generally do fairly well with that.

You say this as if cravings are a necessary part of our food choices. I am offering a differing viewpoint. My argument is that it *may* be possible for at least *some* people to break the pattern that is causing those cravings.

And based entirely on my n=1 research, I have found that when I do deviate from my food preferences (either out of "necessity" or "convenience"), I just do not succumb to the "quitting my diet out of frustration" feeling. Instead, I get the "okay, time to get back on track" feeling...and then I get back on track. Despite the seeming "absoluteness" of my dietary approach, I think I still maintain a perspective of the bigger picture. (Although this may entirely be an individual personality thing far more than a dietary approach thing. *shrug*)

That was entirely my point. This concept of foods in moderation is an entirely personal decision. I would argue that eating those unhealthy foods in moderation is 'better' but that's a matter of opinion (to use alcohol as a parallel, I similarly think the person who can have a few drinks on occassion has a healthier relationship with booze than the recovering alcoholic who can't have any, though there is of course nothing wrong with the recovering person's strategy since that's what he or she has to do to stay healthy). I think the reason a lot of people advocate this approach is because they, like me, believe it to be 'better' than total abstinence for just the reason I explained. Taking as an assumption that 'unhealthy' food in moderation (i.e. still allowing you to meet your nutrient and total caloric intake targets) isn't bad for you, being able to enjoy that indulgence from time to time could be seen as having a 'better' relationship with that particular type of food. At the end of the day, it entirely boils down to what works best for you individually. If you have to abstain, do that. If you have to have a treat from time to time, do that. People have been successful (and unsuccessful) with both strategies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is a wonderful way to live life! :happy:

Unless you are talking about your principles, in which case, I defer to Thomas Paine:
    A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.
    ~Thomas Paine

:smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm always very confused why people worry so much about what other people do. If restricting foods works for you, do it. If everything in moderation works better, do it. Who the heck cares what works for the next person? I personally don't care what others do to lose weight - I'm focused on me and my goals.
    {snip}

This^^ ... Everytime I see a thread like this one get started, I think this same thing. I can't understand why some people think it's their duty to be the lifestyle police of MFP. :huh:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I find it utterly ridiculous to equate happiness with food. That is an unhealthy emotional attachment with something that can be very detrimental to one's health.

Centuries worth of cultures around the world would find your statement utterly ridiculous. Food is part of life. It's part of ritual, and family, and local custom and many other things. All throughout time people found joy through food and celebration. It wasn't until the scientist got involved that food got a bad rap.

You just made my Anthropology degree squeal with delight.

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Centuries worth of cultures around the world would find your statement utterly ridiculous. Food is part of life. It's part of ritual, and family, and local custom and many other things. All throughout time people found joy through food and celebration. It wasn't until the scientist got involved that food got a bad rap.

TRUTH ^^^^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm always very confused why people worry so much about what other people do. If restricting foods works for you, do it. If everything in moderation works better, do it. Who the heck cares what works for the next person? I personally don't care what others do to lose weight - I'm focused on me and my goals.
    {snip}

This^^ ... Everytime I see a thread like this one get started, I think this same thing. I can't understand why some people think it's their duty to be the lifestyle police of MFP. :huh:

You can't understand why people would post their experience and opinions on food and nutrition in the "Food and Nutrition" forums of a fitness site?

Really?

:huh: , indeed.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Show me a person who can't eat unhealthy food in moderation to satisfy cravings, and I can show you another person that can't completely cut out a favorite unhealthy food because if they try, eventually they'll end up binging on it later.

Find the way that works for you, and go with that. Both have merit. Or do both depending.

I CANNOT eat just one York peppermint patty. If I try, I'll do the food equivalent of waking up in a seedy motel in Tijuana covered in hookers and blow. I just don't eat them anymore.

Ice cream, however, if I try to completely cut out, I'll be miserable to the point of simply quitting my diet out of frustration. I try to eat some ice cream on occasion and generally do fairly well with that.

You say this as if cravings are a necessary part of our food choices. I am offering a differing viewpoint. My argument is that it *may* be possible for at least *some* people to break the pattern that is causing those cravings.

And based entirely on my n=1 research, I have found that when I do deviate from my food preferences (either out of "necessity" or "convenience"), I just do not succumb to the "quitting my diet out of frustration" feeling. Instead, I get the "okay, time to get back on track" feeling...and then I get back on track. Despite the seeming "absoluteness" of my dietary approach, I think I still maintain a perspective of the bigger picture. (Although this may entirely be an individual personality thing far more than a dietary approach thing. *shrug*)

That was entirely my point. This concept of foods in moderation is an entirely personal decision. I would argue that eating those unhealthy foods in moderation is 'better' but that's a matter of opinion (to use alcohol as a parallel, I similarly think the person who can have a few drinks on occassion has a healthier relationship with booze than the recovering alcoholic who can't have any, though there is of course nothing wrong with the recovering person's strategy since that's what he or she has to do to stay healthy). I think the reason a lot of people advocate this approach is because they, like me, believe it to be 'better' than total abstinence for just the reason I explained. Taking as an assumption that 'unhealthy' food in moderation (i.e. still allowing you to meet your nutrient and total caloric intake targets) isn't bad for you, being able to enjoy that indulgence from time to time could be seen as having a 'better' relationship with that particular type of food. At the end of the day, it entirely boils down to what works best for you individually. If you have to abstain, do that. If you have to have a treat from time to time, do that. People have been successful (and unsuccessful) with both strategies.

Isn't it a false dichotomy though? I'm not saying the choice is between everything in moderation and nothing in moderation. People who have been successful in eliminating certain foods from their diets are most likely eating the foods they eat in moderation. So not only are they eating foods in moderation, but also they are completely omitting certain foods that they have deemed not healthy (or at least not optimal).

While I'm not saying those who follow EIM are necessarily being unhealthy, I believe it's a bit of a stretch to equate a decision to eat only a little bit of a food considered to be unhealthy as healthier than a decision to eat none of it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I agree with this except for blaming the scientists. It is when we started abusing ourselves with food that the problems started. Just as alcohol can be a fun and healthy part of gatherings and celebrations, so can food of all types. But when you party 24/7 you will run into problems.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I agree with this except for blaming the scientists. It is when we started abusing ourselves with food that the problems started. Just as alcohol can be a fun and healthy part of gatherings and celebrations, so can food of all types. But when you party 24/7 you will run into problems.

Eh, while I agree with your conclusion, I'm not entirely sure the food scientists are entirely blameless. Just because something we eat is *derived from* a food and doesn't appear to be immediately harmful to us doesn't mean it is still healthy (or not unhealthy) for us. And as we continue to modify foods for various reasons (some in an attempt to increase the healthiness of the food, others, for less-than-healthy reasons), I think we run an increased risk for there to be negative consequences from these endeavors.

And yes, regardless of which side of the EIM fence you are on (or which side you lean towards), I think we can all agree that certain things to excess are likely not to be healthy...(and I say "all" fully accepting that there will probably still be a few that disagree with this).
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    "Everything in moderation" doesn't work for food addicts. I think we all know this, but don't want to deal with the reality that to get a handle on bingeing and compulsive overeating, you have to do more than just reach for a "smaller" bag of chips.

But we are keeping the diet industry growing with this thinking, so somebody's winning.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. As a recovering anorexic/bulimic, the Ed (Ed=eating disorder) in me wants me to believe that it's possible to eat anything in moderation. That's because he knows that certain foods, my trigger foods, will cause me to binge. Not eat in moderation. And on the flip side, sometimes, Ed wants me to think it's impossible to eat ANYthing in moderation so that I starve myself.

All this is to say that I think it just depends on who you are and what your relationship is with food. If you have a healthy one like my daughter, you can eat anything in moderation. She never overeats, even when we tell her she can have as much as she wants. Even on Halloween 3 years ago when we told her she could eat as much candy as she wanted! She was 5 years old, and she stopped after 2 mini chocolates!

But I have to stay away from my trigger foods. I know what they are for the most part - chips (even healthy ones), popcorn, peanut butter and oatmeal. Yes, oatmeal. I love oatmeal with sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding mix added to it, but I will make a huge bowl of it before I go to bed..and then a second bowl. Once I start...

Eating in moderation works for my daughter. She doesn't even know any other way to eat. It doesn't work for me. I have to keep away from certain foods altogether or else I binge...and sometimes purge.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Except wine...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I truly believe everything in moderation. I lost and am maintaining just fine, still occasionally enjoying cookies, ice cream, and french fries.

Are there certain foods I don't eat? Sure. But I don't eat them because I don't like them or they make me fell sick. I don't drink soda much these days or eat fried foods because a) they just don't taste that good to me anymore and b) the upset my stomach. But if you like a food? Eat it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    {snip}

QFT!!! :drinker:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't.
    Everyone has their opinion, and we all have things that work for us and things that don't. To each, their own. I do believe in everything in moderation but can see how it doesn't work for all.

This! nothing is off the table for me literally, but because of MFP my dietary habits are broadening into things I wouldn't have thought to eat before. I wanted a bag of marshmallows last week... they're almost gone but they've been great! a change from jello.... then again I'm coming from the viewpoint of normal eating habits, not from those with eating disorders. I'm sure those guys have issues that need to be suited to their conditions..and I wish them all the best of luck...
  • lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do think that everything in moderation is a really good way to start. If you get someone who's just starting to change their eating habits, if you cut off everything they love for good then they won't last very long. I think for people who just want a better diet, everything in moderation is a good way to start, and you can certainly make room in your diet for any food weaknesses -- once in a while, anyway. If someone told me I had to live the rest of my life without ever touching another container of ice cream or slice of cake if I wanted to lose weight, I don't know what I'd do. x) It just makes a better diet more reasonable, and helps people stick to it if they know they're allowed to indulge once in a while. But if you have the superhuman ability to stay away from all junk food and never crave any of it, then more power to you!!