Everything in moderation? Really?

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
Am I the only person on MFP who *doesn't* believe in "everything in moderation"? That some foods just aren't worth eating, so I don't? That some foods are processed to the point that they don't really seem like food anymore and the only reason you *think* they taste good is because you are conditioned to believe they taste good? That the excuse of "if I don't eat it, then I'll just crave it more and that will destroy my diet" is just that, an excuse? That maybe, just maybe, the "secret" to ending a "bad relationship" with certain foods that ultimately cause you to stumble in your diet is to stop eating them entirely (and then learning that once you do, these foods no longer have such power over you)?

:huh:

ETA: And please don't misunderstand, I'm not talking about *never* eating something that isn't totally healthy for you. I understand that sometimes, certain foods *are* worth the dietary hit. I'm talking about the constant insistence that *nothing* is ever off limits (and then the subsequent problem: a frequent indulgence in foods like these).

Replies

• cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, I haven't written any food off for good. And I'll readily admit to consuming some aspartame every day, which I know is horrible.

But I do tend to read ingredient lists, and choose foods with ingredients I recognize as actual food, and can pronounce. And after a while, some of the highly processed stuff does start to taste, well.... fake.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't.
    Everyone has their opinion, and we all have things that work for us and things that don't. To each, their own. I do believe in everything in moderation but can see how it doesn't work for all.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean by any means and I don't eat crap all the time. However I refuse to deprive myself of things. I count for it, I log everything daily. However, I do eat better now then I use to eat. I think people fail to see this, some people are just starting and are just learning, some people believe they can eat what they want as long as they count it. Some people eat better then they did before even if it's not clean. I'm taking little out at a time. I have done away with fried foods and Soda's sugar is another story, I have taken it out a lot but I have days that I cave in. Yup moderation is key, I do believe that, it is for me. What works for me might not be your thing, but I'm not going to knock you for how you do it. I'm healthier now then I've ever been and I do workout and my muscles are becoming more and more visible.

ETA: Sorry the edit was not on there when I posted this.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No, you aren't.
    Everyone has their opinion, and we all have things that work for us and things that don't. To each, their own. I do believe in everything in moderation but can see how it doesn't work for all.

Indeed...and here is another of my opinions:
    My thought is that many of the biggest proponents in "everything in moderation" are using it as a crutch and they may not even know it. And that belief may be what is making their attempts at a new dietary lifestyle so difficult to keep. That overcoming what some may even call an "addiction" (but I will just call a "strong reliance on") may not be a lifetime of deprivation that they think it will be, but instead a liberation from the power that food has over their lives. But until they get out from under "everything in moderation", it's a liberation they may never know.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    To each, his own. I like food, especially sweets, so I eat it, in small quantities. That's what works for me. For someone else, those are just junk, not something that's worth the caloric hit. As long as we each find a sustainable path to being fit, all is well.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I agree. I don't believe in cheat days either. There are plenty of things that I just can't bring myself to eat. No eating experience is good enough to be worth how bad I feel afterwards.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't.

My thought is that many of the biggest proponents in "everything in moderation" are using it as a crutch and they may not even know it. And that belief may be what is making their attempts at a new dietary lifestyle so difficult to keep. That overcoming what some may even call an "addiction" (but I will just call a "strong reliance on") may not be a lifetime of deprivation that they think it will be, but instead a liberation from the power that food has over their lives. But until they get out from under "everything in moderation", it's a liberation they may never know.

You are making an assumption here that a 'moderation' lifestyle is 'so difficult to keep'. It is the easiest thing I've done. I eat pretty much the same way I always have, just in smaller quantities. What's so hard about that?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't believe in cheat days either. There are plenty of things that I just can't bring myself to eat. No eating experience is good enough to be worth how bad I feel afterwards.

Oh that's sorta a pet peeve of mine, I don't like cheat days because calling it a cheat is like saying you are doing something wrong. Honestly I only allow myself a glass of wine when I've worked hard all week and have given it my all. To me it's a treat and its something I feel I worked hard for.
  • CrysButcher3
    CrysButcher3 Posts: 322
    Options
    Well....I will say that what works well for one may not work well for another? I refuse to give up my potatoes, but I have given up my love of butter and bread. I eat ONE potato a day instead of like 4-5 like I used to. I admit that giving up some things is essential...like fast food....to me that is a waste of our money. (I say that now that I'm not eating it anymore.) I know how bad that stuff is for us.
    I'm still trying like heck to give up my sugar free drinks (because I drink like a gallon a day)...it contains that aspartame and I've heard nothing but bad things about it (but yet sadly the dang thing continues to be on our shelves...don't get that actually) I love my sugar free drinks....and I absolutely hate water. But....another thing I will agree with you on is *re-training* our selves to like something....so in my case water.

Not that it matters, but I half agree with you. I agree that fast food should be eliminate altogether just because it is LOADED with sodium, and well....maybe 3 months from now I will be on full ride with you and eliminate those potatoes altogether....who knows?

P.s....even if I was to totally disagree with you....you are still my buddy.((and as I say that I see that elf from buddy!)) lol....I have some serious issues obviously.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't believe in completely depriving myself of delicious, unhealthy foods that I enjoy. I love me some taco bell, or barbeque, or chocolate cake. However, I hate when people use the "everything in moderation" phrase to justify eating these things on a regular basis. When I say I try to eat these things every once in a while, I mean it. So yes, I do eat these things in moderation, but for me moderation means treating myself every few weeks or even months, not every weekend or every day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off-limits to me. There are things that I would decide against eating, but nothing that I would say "never" to. Maybe if you have a difficult relationship with food, your attitude makes sense, but to me "everything in moderation" works just fine.
  • CrysButcher3
    CrysButcher3 Posts: 322
    Options

^^ I agree. Cheat days to me personally is my downfall and in the past has been the reason I failed all to often. I won't do cheat days, it is a lifestyle change, and I have to be able to live with that change....I don't want to have to have a *day* to cheat....if I'm living a healthy lifestyle I won't have to really *cheat*.... :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I don't eat clean by any means and I don't eat crap all the time. However I refuse to deprive myself of things. I count for it, I log everything daily. However, I do eat better now then I use to eat. I think people fail to see this, some people are just starting and are just learning, some people believe they can eat what they want as long as they count it. Some people eat better then they did before even if it's not clean. I'm taking little out at a time. I have done away with fried foods and Soda's sugar is another story, I have taken it out a lot but I have days that I cave in. Yup moderation is key, I do believe that, it is for me. What works for me might not be your thing, but I'm not going to knock you for how you do it. I'm healthier now then I've ever been and I do workout and my muscles are becoming more and more visible.

This is a good point...that many may be transitioning to new habits that ultimately eliminate the foods that are causing them problems (but on their way, are keeping the "EIM" mantra). For those people, I would say good work, keep it up.

However, for those who have tried this many times (each time with "EIM"), and find that they are *not* making progress towards their goals, that it continues to be a struggle for them no matter how hard they try, that I believe questioning "EIM" is worth considering...because there are people who *have* accomplished their goals without "EIM" by making a clean break from certain foods, and that these certain foods are what kept them from being successful.

(And the ultimate irony in all of this is that *after* reaching and maintaining their goals, having broken their reliance on these foods, they have been able to successful indulge in them *if/when they want* in *moderation* without falling back into their old habits.)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    To each, his own. I like food, especially sweets, so I eat it, in small quantities. That's what works for me. For someone else, those are just junk, not something that's worth the caloric hit. As long as we each find a sustainable path to being fit, all is well.

This. To each their own. Life is to be enjoyed and if some of that enjoyment comes from less than clean foods, then so be it. And no, saying that's what got me here in the first place wouldn't work as I have never in my life been overweight ;) I have had my share of eating clean, vegan, not eating at all, etc etc, and am happy settling on allowing myself to eat what I fancy, which fortunately happens to be mostly healthy foods, but also some cake, chocolate and ice cream.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I gave up all processed foods and I don't miss anything but processed meat. I happen to like tyson chicken strips. But I have given them up too :( thought of getting some today but I walked away and got some fruit instead. I know my body is better off without it. It was just so convenient and kinda like fast food.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No, you aren't.

You are making an assumption here that a 'moderation' lifestyle is 'so difficult to keep'. It is the easiest thing I've done. I eat pretty much the same way I always have, just in smaller quantities. What's so hard about that?

This is an easy one. Are you telling me that people (on MFP and elsewhere) do not struggle in reaching their dietary goals? That "EIM" has a great track record for success and longevity? I don't believe that's the case and I also don't believe it's just my assumption.

Now, I'll admit, it *is* my assumption that "EIM" is part of the problem for the failure rate of dietary changes, but that "moderation" lifestyle is often not effective seems to be supported by plenty of evidence.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That overcoming what some may even call an "addiction" (but I will just call a "strong reliance on") may not be a lifetime of deprivation that they think it will be, but instead a liberation from the power that food has over their lives.

You CAN crave some foods...like chocolate....and get rid of the cravings by avoiding it for an extended period of time, yet not give it up for life. I went off chocolate cold turkey for 30 days. However, I have not given up chocolate out of fear I may crave it again. I eat it on rare occasions and in moderate amounts. I no longer crave it but have not given it up, either.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard the real story of a professor who lost weight by eating Twinkies? So your assumption is wrong, sorry.

I understand what you mean & even I gave up eating junk frequently although I still have it occassionally (I'm just a human being who also have a right to enjoy these things). Although personally I eat as clean as possible however I believe that eating everything in moderation works, yes & that includes on processed foods. So to each their own.

And please never push us to believe on your assumptions simply because you don't believe what the majority thinks. Yes you are entitled to your own opinions but you must also learn to respect other people's opinions too.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Nothing is off-limits to me. There are things that I would decide against eating, but nothing that I would say "never" to. Maybe if you have a difficult relationship with food, your attitude makes sense, but to me "everything in moderation" works just fine.

I believe my relationship with food is remarkably healthy, but *I* am the one who is in control of the relationship. I think a dietary habit with frequent "cravings" is a far more "difficult relationship".

And I should have been more clear about this from the beginning...if someone is able to change their dietary habits and reach their goal and maintain while still adhering to "EIM", then that's awesome. No seriously, that is really great. This isn't really for them. This is more for those who have tried and failed...many times...who continue to find the strength to try again, but can't quite seem to get there...or who get there, but can't stay there. It's those people that I want to know that there may be another way, and it doesn't take any more "effort", and in my opinion, may actually be "easier" especially once you get through the early stages of the transition.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I like my bad relationship with food. I've just learned how to keep that relationship to the occasional get together. ;)

Sure, my body could be better fueled without the occasional donut, but I can't imagine my life without it. And that's just it; it's MY life and my choice what I put into it. If you don't want to have that kind of relationship with food, I'm glad that works for you!