Everything in moderation? Really?

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    <
    I do believe the quote in my profile pic to be true.

The longer it can sit on the shelf and still be edible, the shorter the life one will actually lead.

Go ahead and enjoy those twinkies............I, for one, will not.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What does this have to do with the conversation???

I'd say that's something that's not okay in moderation.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You say this as if cravings are a necessary part of our food choices. I am offering a differing viewpoint. My argument is that it *may* be possible for at least *some* people to break the pattern that is causing those cravings.

And based entirely on my n=1 research, I have found that when I do deviate from my food preferences (either out of "necessity" or "convenience"), I just do not succumb to the "quitting my diet out of frustration" feeling. Instead, I get the "okay, time to get back on track" feeling...and then I get back on track. Despite the seeming "absoluteness" of my dietary approach, I think I still maintain a perspective of the bigger picture. (Although this may entirely be an individual personality thing far more than a dietary approach thing. *shrug*)
    For what it's worth, I found this interesting and am glad you posted it. I wish this was in your very first post. (I'm one who had a problem with your original approach).
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. I find moderation works for me, although junk does look less and less appealing. But it fits my lifestyle to have the odd treat. Like, I enjoy going for drinks with friends. Alcohol is empty calories, I know, so I drink less and use lower cal options, but I still go out for drinks because I enjoy it.
    Last night, I had an indian takeaway with friends. I went for a smaller portion and stayed away from the super creamy curries and didn't ate about a zillion poppadoms like I would usually, but I was still a part of a nice evening treat with friends. I enjoy these things, and the lifestyle, so why should I cut out enjoyment and fun and social eating if I can do it, on occasion, within my calorie goals? If I was eating that way every day, yeah, that's a problem, but once in a while isn't going to do my any major harm.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    meth-not-even-once.jpeg
    ha! ok, that was funny.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    its just a matter of personal opinion and preference.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

I CANNOT eat just one York peppermint patty. If I try, I'll do the food equivalent of waking up in a seedy motel in Tijuana covered in hookers and blow. I just don't eat them anymore.

aaaahaha.. this is me and any chocolate, totally.

I eat what I want to in moderation. However, "whatver I want to" has very, very greatly changed. No guilt, life's short. The town that I live in is home to the "second best glazed donut in the country" and you are damn skippy I am stuffing one or two in my face on the boardwalk this weekend. Why not?
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I find it utterly ridiculous to equate happiness with food. That is an unhealthy emotional attachment with something that can be very detrimental to one's health.

Centuries worth of cultures around the world would find your statement utterly ridiculous. Food is part of life. It's part of ritual, and family, and local custom and many other things. All throughout time people found joy through food and celebration. It wasn't until the scientist got involved that food got a bad rap.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And have you noticed it's always the crowd that has eliminated things from their diets that try to get everyone else to do it as well? It must be the "misery loves company" mindset. Otherwise why be so judgemental of what others eat?

And have you noticed it's always the crowd that follows the "everything in moderation" that try to get everyone else to do it as well? It must be the "misery loves company" mindset. Otherwise why be so judgemental of what others eat?

I come to these boards a lot and I think I've seen very few, if any, posts saying "everything in moderation" is the only way to lose weight or eat healthy. Usually people are just saying it works for them., and usually in response to someone suggesting they should cut something from their diet (meat, grains, legumes, dairy, etc.). In my experience, it is those that follow a restriction diet that try to convince others that <insert restricted food here> is unhealthy and/or will inhibit weight loss.
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person on MFP who *doesn't* believe in "everything in moderation"? That some foods just aren't worth eating, so I don't? That some foods are processed to the point that they don't really seem like food anymore and the only reason you *think* they taste good is because you are conditioned to believe they taste good? That the excuse of "if I don't eat it, then I'll just crave it more and that will destroy my diet" is just that, an excuse? That maybe, just maybe, the "secret" to ending a "bad relationship" with certain foods that ultimately cause you to stumble in your diet is to stop eating them entirely (and then learning that once you do, these foods no longer have such power over you)?

:huh:

ETA: And please don't misunderstand, I'm not talking about *never* eating something that isn't totally healthy for you. I understand that sometimes, certain foods *are* worth the dietary hit. I'm talking about the constant insistence that *nothing* is ever off limits (and then the subsequent problem: a frequent indulgence in foods like these).

You are not the only one. Eating healthy foods is a much better option, imo.
  • Loulady
    Options

I find it utterly ridiculous to equate happiness with food. That is an unhealthy emotional attachment with something that can be very detrimental to one's health.

Centuries worth of cultures around the world would find your statement utterly ridiculous. Food is part of life. It's part of ritual, and family, and local custom and many other things. All throughout time people found joy through food and celebration. It wasn't until the scientist got involved that food got a bad rap.

+1

Food is about so much more than nutrients and fuel.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd rather enjoy the things I like and still get the desired results.

If I want something I eat it.

The only two things I don't really see as being okay in moderation are:
    alcohol and soy.
    they're both useless.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I kinda try to avoid the food without an ingredient list on them. hahaha. (i.e. veggies, fruits, meat, nuts) It's easier to keep track. :)
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I don't eat clean by any means and I don't eat crap all the time. However I refuse to deprive myself of things. I count for it, I log everything daily. However, I do eat better now then I use to eat. I think people fail to see this, some people are just starting and are just learning, some people believe they can eat what they want as long as they count it. Some people eat better then they did before even if it's not clean. I'm taking little out at a time. I have done away with fried foods and Soda's sugar is another story, I have taken it out a lot but I have days that I cave in. Yup moderation is key, I do believe that, it is for me. What works for me might not be your thing, but I'm not going to knock you for how you do it. I'm healthier now then I've ever been and I do workout and my muscles are becoming more and more visible.

This is a good point...that many may be transitioning to new habits that ultimately eliminate the foods that are causing them problems (but on their way, are keeping the "EIM" mantra). For those people, I would say good work, keep it up.

However, for those who have tried this many times (each time with "EIM"), and find that they are *not* making progress towards their goals, that it continues to be a struggle for them no matter how hard they try, that I believe questioning "EIM" is worth considering...because there are people who *have* accomplished their goals without "EIM" by making a clean break from certain foods, and that these certain foods are what kept them from being successful.

(And the ultimate irony in all of this is that *after* reaching and maintaining their goals, having broken their reliance on these foods, they have been able to successful indulge in them *if/when they want* in *moderation* without falling back into their old habits.)

you can qualify anything until it's true in X cases but not Y cases.

it works for me, and for some other people, by the stories on here. why does your way have to be the best way? does it help your journey or anyone else's to feel like you've figured out The Superior Way?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    alcohol and soy.
    they're both useless.

I have both of these most every day. Soy could be replaced by other things, but I like it and it provides nutrients I need.

Alcohol useless?? That's crazy talk. :drinker:
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options

+1

Food is about so much more than nutrients and fuel.

Understandable, but it shouldn't be worshiped and over indulged. It should be eaten for sustenance, enjoyed, and end of story. Right? The thought that food is such an important part of out lives and that we NEED it triggers our mind to always "need" it. We need it to a certain point, for health and energy. And this is coming from a culinary graduate who loves food herself. Food is a humongous part of our lives as human beings, BUT that doesn't mean that we should give it so much time of our lives, eating every second that we see food., thinking about it all the time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My take on EIM - I'm not going to beat myself up or get emotional because I ate pizza, pasta, cookies, ice cream, etc. I eat it, enjoy it, log it, done. I see too many people on these forums that are crying for "help" because they ate something they have been told was bad for them. They are freaking out and don't know what to do. Why is food worth that level of panic? I enjoy food, but it's not worth disrupting my life like that.

With that said, there are some foods that just aren't worth it to me - soda and fast food (only have it on rare occassions). I don't eat/drink them because it's a waste of calories and money (to me). I'd rather use my calories for things that I really love.

Some people need to cut out a certain food due to an unhealthy mindset or a medical condition. That's fine. But most of us just need to learn about moderation and what that really means (and it's not an excuse to eat junk all the time).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    you can qualify anything until it's true in X cases but not Y cases.

it works for me, and for some other people, by the stories on here. why does your way have to be the best way? does it help your journey or anyone else's to feel like you've figured out The Superior Way?

Is this really what people are hearing in my posts on this thread? If so, I'm even worse at this communication thing than I thought. (My guess is that you didn't read through all six pages...not that I necessarily blame you for that.) Or is this just the MFP way when someone starts a topic like this that is contrary to someone's personal beliefs/feelings?

I'll admit, my initial post could have been more thorough, could have been phrased better, blah blah blah, but it never ceases to amaze me the extent to which our views are colored by the tint of the glasses we wear in discussions like this (and yes, I realize I am not immune either). But still, wow.

(EDIT: because I'm willing to edit a post to move a close parenthesis inside a period where appropriate, but I'm apparently not willing to fix/rephrase that confusing second paragraph. *shrug*)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off-limits to me. There are things that I would decide against eating, but nothing that I would say "never" to. Maybe if you have a difficult relationship with food, your attitude makes sense, but to me "everything in moderation" works just fine.

I believe my relationship with food is remarkably healthy, but *I* am the one who is in control of the relationship. I think a dietary habit with frequent "cravings" is a far more "difficult relationship".

I don't have a "relationship" with food any more than I have a "relationship" with the bed I sleep in at night. I need sleep, and the bed is a tool I use to get it. I need nutrition and fuel, and food is the tool I use to get it. I enjoy my nights more when I have a nice. comfy mattress and soft sheets, and I enjoy my meals more when the food I am eating tastes good.
  • Loulady
    Options
    alcohol and soy.
    they're both useless.

I have both of these most every day. Soy could be replaced by other things, but I like it and it provides nutrients I need.

Alcohol useless?? That's crazy talk. :drinker:

Many of us wouldn't even be here if it weren't for alcohol!