Eggs v. Egg Whites

Options
13»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i eat four whole eggs a day and my cholesterol is fine…I also add in some egg whites to that to get more calories/protein….

On my high fat days, I do at least 4 whole eggs as well.....with dinner.
    Very tasty. :D
  • erinb419
    Options
    Egg whites may have less cholesterol, but the yolks contain all the protein.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should do an experiment. Eat low fat/cholesterol foods for a couple of months, then test; then eat high saturated fat/cholesterol foods for a couple of months and see what happens.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the nutritional side of it but real from the egg carton egg whites taste better than pourable ones. So I use one of those yolk separators.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Perhaps I should do an experiment. Eat low fat/cholesterol foods for a couple of months, then test; then eat high saturated fat/cholesterol foods for a couple of months and see what happens.

That would mix the effects of saturated fat and cholesterol, but my understanding (based on the experience of my dad and a friend) is that that's basically what they do with people who have high cholesterol--see if they are one of the minority who are responsive to diet. But that doesn't mean that cholesterol in the diet itself makes a difference even for those people (although it might).

It's not a reason for people without high cholesterol to start tossing yolks, although if you do have it you should see if you can lower it through dietary changes (my understanding is that just losing weight makes a difference for some too).
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Now that I think of it, I did essentially do an experiment though it was unintentional. When I stopped eating high cholesterol, greasy fast food on a regular basis, my cholesterol did go down over 100 points in less than a year with no other changes. So I suspect I might be susceptible to dietary cholesterol while most probably are not since everyone else in my family is medicated for high cholesterol even though they practice healthy eating habits. I was on medication, too, several years ago, but no longer need it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've never actually eaten egg whites only except in a meringue on top of a pie! Whole egg: scrambled, fried, boiled, over medium. Yum.
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i eat four whole eggs a day and my cholesterol is fine…I also add in some egg whites to that to get more calories/protein….
    Ditto, I eat an average of 4 eggs a day,

My last cholesterol blood tests were in the range of Excellent-Very Good.

Love eggs!! :blush:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm young and I don't need to worry about my cholesterol right now. I'll take the whole egg, please.

I'm old - I'm still eating the whole egg.

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I usually throw the yolks away so I can eat more egg whites in a single sitting, without ingesting too much calories.