Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bumpity-bump-oh
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tore my rotator cuff and could not take the Lortab because I drive a lot and doing it stoned is such a bad idea. I had acupuncture for about six weeks and the pain was gone and I healed rapidly. The American belief is that the treatment stimulates the immune system-- who cares what the Asians called that three thousand years ago? For what it's worth, using magnetized beads as acupressure works as well and is less annoying, giving the boot to the debunking report about toothpicks on the skin being effective. The toothpick delivery method is called acupressure. Not a surprise since specific interventions seem to work. Look up "Acudetox" online and see how it's used to curb alcohol ingestion. Federal Probation used to purchase a lot of that services because it doesn't matter what the client thinks about their sobriety, the sessions cut use of alcohol and other drugs.
  • seqndluvnun
    Options
    I had shoulder pain for about 7 years, horrible pain. Doctors, sport medicine people and chiropractors all recommended surgery. Three acupuncture and the pain was gone!!!! I wasted 7 years writhing in pain, when three! three! visits and I was pain free. I'm a believer.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law has 3 back surgeries for major sciatica issues. His doctor finally told him to go to accupuncture (B-I-L is pretty much as old-school, down home, none of that hippy crap, kinda guy as one can get). He went and has gone from spending up to 3wks laid out at least 4 times a year to only having it happen once in the last 5yrs. And he went in right away when it happened and was back up and moving and to work within a week.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I tore the rotator cuff in one shoulder in a car accident while in my teens. Several years ago I was having acupuncture treatments and after three treatments, I was pain free for a solid year until I re-injured the shoulder.

Yes, it works. It is used on horses and dogs, and no doubt on other animals too.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ive used accupuncture for a back injury before it helped with that to a degree (as in 24 hours or so). But ive never tried it with weight loss.
  • Gongfu_1960
    Options
    It's nonsense.

Similar to the unsupported, knee-jerk opinions of attention seeking compulsive posters who average 10 posts a day for 2 years? :yawn:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense.

Similar to the unsupported, knee-jerk opinions of attention seeking compulsive posters who average 10 posts a day for 2 years? :yawn:

How does this post apply to the issue of acupuncture? The only contribution youve made to this thread has been ad hominem to those with differing opinions. You should find another outlet for yourself, as you have certainly shown you lack capacity for intellectual discourse.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    thank you to all the informative responses (despite the typical forum drama/ridiculousness here and there). as luck would have it, a Living Social Deal for Acupuncture popped up in my inbox yesterday, and the reviews are actually good... so i bought a 4-pack for $50. not too shabby! lets hope it helps! xoxo
  • Gongfu_1960
    Options
    It's nonsense.

How does this post apply to the issue of acupuncture? The only contribution youve made to this thread has been ad hominem to those with differing opinions. You should find another outlet for yourself, as you have certainly shown you lack capacity for intellectual discourse.

You are in the "10 Post A Day" Club as well? Small world! :wink:
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Acupuncture CAN work - for the reason that the placebo effect can be very powerful.

Children with asthma is a bad example to use - children can and do grow out of asthma very quickly.

Pets are an interesting one - but animals can also experience the placebo effect!

There is WEAK (not strong as claimed somewhere here) evidence that it performs better than placebo for lower back pain.

There is NO conclusive evidence that it outperforms placebo for the majority of conditions.

Also crucial is that the practice is not well regulated and techniques and competency can vary hugely between practitioners.

Of course, none of this means it DOESN'T work or it CAN'T work - just that there is no evidence that it does! If it worked for you then I see no reason not to continue.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with acupuncture at all, but has your Dr. checked for P.C.O.S.? It's a condition that is associated with hormone imbalance in women, especially the insulin/glucose balance. Also associated with P.C.O.S. is highly irregular cycles. Another TMI alert: You should have your gyno look into it. The only way to truly diagnose it is with an ultrasound. I was diagnosed with it about 5 years ago.