Daughter going vegan.....help!!!!!

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Just in the interest of making your life simpler, you might want to organize most of your dinners around separate dishes: a grain or starch (preferably whole grains or a starchy veg that everyone can eat), veggies prepared without animal or gluten products (or any sauce containing those things served on the side), an animal-based protein (roasts, steaks, chops, chicken whole or in parts, fish, etc.) for most of you (again, with any gluten-containing sauce, like a wheat flour-thickened gravy, on the side), and a vegan protein (whole beans or lentils are generally the most versatile and least work -- you can make a potful from dried beans at the beginning of the week, or use canned if money and sodium aren't issues, and add different seasonings to go with each night's dinner-- or better yet have your daughter do it herself; tofu, tempeh, and seitan are other options -- keep the seitan away from your older daughter, as it is essentially all gluten).

This is in contrast to making a lot of casseroles and stews and such where the animal protein is all mixed in, so you have to make a completely different meal for your younger daughter (although you could do a veggie and grain based stew, and serve separately cooked proteins for people to add to their individual bowls -- some people might want both meat and beans added to their chili, or whatever). But, obviously, if your family likes casseroles and stews enough for it to be worth it to you to make two different meals, ignore this advice. :)

As far as her getting enough nutrients, I think you're hitting most of the bases, with the addition of B12 which someone mentioned (some nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12, and some people find it to be a tasty replacement for cheese -- I like it well enough, but I don't think it tastes like real cheese).

I'm not vegan, but I have a lot of meals and even days that are either meat-free or animal-product-free. I think soy milk is probably the best substitute for dairy milk from a nutritional standpoint; try different brands, because if she doesn't like one, she might like another (personally, I prefer the ones without added sugar; the ones with sugar are a lot sweeter than dairy milk). Without meat, dairy, and eggs in her diet, all else being equal (and assuming a relatively healthy diet that doesn't consist of french fries twice a day and a "vegan" pastry for breakfast), she should easily be able to afford the extra fat and calories from a serving or two of nuts a day (I probably averaged about two servings of nuts a days while I was losing 40 pounds in my 50s, so a growing teenager with no weight problem, or at least none that you've mentioned, should be able to handle that). Chia and flax seeds are also good sources of fat, fiber, and protein (add to cereal, smoothies, cooked grains, baked goods). If she gets a lot of legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, veggies, and fruits, and you address the B12 issue, she should be fine. Since a lot of people manage to survive their teen years by eating fatty burgers, fries, pizzas loaded with fatty meats, soda, chips, and candy, she'll probably be OK being a vegan with a mom as conscientious as you.

I would second the suggestion to see a nutritionist together, if that's an option, or (cheaper and honestly, perhaps better, because you won't be limited to one person's views, and I've heard some questionable things from people calling themselves nutritionists) just do some research and reading (again, together -- she needs to know about this herself because you're not going to be preparing all her meals for her for the rest of her life).

Good luck with this. You sound like a great mom.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since birth....and vegan since 16...I am now 25 and have had no major health concerns in my life...being vegan doesn't mean shes going to lose nutrients and be unhealthy
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Just in the interest of making your life simpler, you might want to organize most of your dinners around separate dishes: a grain or starch (preferably whole grains or a starchy veg that everyone can eat), veggies prepared without animal or gluten products (or any sauce containing those things served on the side), an animal-based protein (roasts, steaks, chops, chicken whole or in parts, fish, etc.) for most of you (again, with any gluten-containing sauce, like a wheat flour-thickened gravy, on the side), and a vegan protein (whole beans or lentils are generally the most versatile and least work -- you can make a potful from dried beans at the beginning of the week, or use canned if money and sodium aren't issues, and add different seasonings to go with each night's dinner-- or better yet have your daughter do it herself; tofu, tempeh, and seitan are other options -- keep the seitan away from your older daughter, as it is essentially all gluten).
    This is essentially how my family eats when we're all together -- I'm veg, my mom and dad are 90% veg, my sister has Celiac disease and my brother would be happy eating just meat and potatoes.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    If swearing doesn't offend you, www.thugkitchen.com has a lot of good recipes. All of the recipes are plant-based, but it's pretty clear where you could add meat products so you're not having to make a ton of different things all the time.

As for the nutrition portion, going to a registered dietitian seems like a good call.
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Alice! That sounds like us (ok, mostly). I love your take on it and do think my daughter would not think of replacing stuff that she is cutting out.

I liked lynn's advice as well. I already cook stuff separately so that my other daughter can eat part of what I am making. Definitely veggies and/or salad, rice/risotto/quinoa/potato, and usually a protein separate. My older daughter will eat some of the protein if it doesn't have gluten in the sauce.

I don't think vegetarians/vegans are unhealthy...just wanting to make sure I have the appropriate options for protein if she isn't eating meat/poultry/fish/eggs/dairy. That's a lot to cut out and at 15, I don't think she would look at the overall vitamins she is getting or not getting (example: recently having blood work and realizing she is Vit D deficient). That is not a general statement about anyone else, just our recent experience.

Thank you niccipotts1 for the link. I sent it to my daughter and she was very happy/excited.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You sound like a really good mom!

It took me WAY longer than it should have taken to figure out that a portobello isn't a good substitute for a burger, even though they can function the same way within the meal (because I wasn't approaching it from a carbs/fat/protein perspective). I'm having the same kind of struggle with trying to teach my BF how to cook for me (he doesn't always think that marinara sauce =/= meat sauce, nutritionally speaking). The more she learns about overall nutritional concepts, the healthier her eating plan will be.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Get some wagyu filets and serve them medium rare. She'll change her mind.
  • rwieber
    Options
    Thanks Alice :-) I'm trying!

Chief...she may not eat it but I would! I respect my daughter's choices but we all can make our own.

Snikkins....thank you....ThugKitchen looks hilarious! I'll check it out.

Thank you Docbanana for all the great info!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell her to make her own food. Problem solved.

^^^^^^^
    This. Exactly this. :mrgreen:

• slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    rwieber wrote: »
    So, we recently had her blood tested and she was low on Vit D. She has begun taking Vit D and I will have her take B Complex (6/12) as well. Since she is also stopping any dairy, she is drinking Almond milk which is fine. I think the iron is something to note, so I will have her take a multi vitamin. I'm sure I will also make an appt to see the Dr. again to discuss the vegan choice.

I think we will explore the veggie/bean burger. I love that there are so many options now for vegetarians/vegans. Lots of fabulous ideas. Protein bars are awesome on the go! Cereal is a definite in our house. She likes the almond milk so that helps.

It sounds like you have most of this well in hand. I'm impressed with your attitude to something a lot of parents would not be happy about, especially considering you already have a child with a food allergy.

I just wanted to point out one other thing to watch for... not all multivitamins have iron. I have a digestive issue which causes me to have problems with many pills not dissolving in time for them to do me any good. As a result, I'm taking gummy vitamins. I've not yet found one with iron. As a result, I also take an iron supplement. I had a lot more difficulty than you'd suspect finding one that wasn't too much iron. Recommendation for iron is 18 mg for adult women of childbearing age (15 mg for teenage girls). The most common strength I was able to find is 65 mg and I found that to be far too much iron for me on a daily basis. I was finally able to find a 27 mg pill and I take it every other day since I do get some iron with my food as well.
  • rwieber
    Options
    Thanks Sue! Good to note the iron as well!
  • barrypaulm
    Options
    Google Dr John McDougall, Dr Neil Bernard, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, DR Dean Ornish, and T Colin Campbell and watch their lectures on YouTube. They all promote a vegan diet for health.

• yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    veganism isn't that scary! it's super easy to get the recommended protein amounts through tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans, lentils, veggie burgers, protein drink/ bars (optional), nuts, non-dairy milks and such things! I am 19 and have done all my own cooking (vegetarian and vegan) for the past 5 years because no one else in my house is vegan. You could help her cook vegan, and maybe have the family eat vegan once a week. Seeing a dietitian is always a good idea! They will help give you a better picture of what you need to focus your attention on (also will help in case there's any suspicion of an eating disorder) and a daily vitamin is probably a good idea to start off with (:
  • savgar32
    savgar32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's already so much great information in here but I'll throw my two cents in as well~ stir fry/grain bowls... easy to make and she can load them up with the veggies she likes and add soy sauce or teriyaki etc. Black bean burgers- I add mine to a stir fry or chop them up for a burrito or anything I feel like needs more bulk. Every morning I make a smoothie and add a scoop of soy protein powder. I don't know if you have a juicer or could get one but making a fresh veggie juice is a really great way to get all the nutrients without feeling like all you eat is vegetables lol you can add orange or carrot to make it sweet and it's fun to make your own combinations. Coconut based yogurt, ice cream, milk etc. are good when she wants something sweet. I've found that the key to tofu is MARINADE! It tastes so much better and is really versatile. I usually us balsamic vinaigrette or soy sauce. Eggplant, mushroom, cauliflower and a few other veggies can be used as a base for meals if she wants to avoid eating fake "meats" or frozen alternatives. Last thing, you can probably find nut based "cheese" at your health food store. They really are delicious and it's healthier than the soy cheese~ I wish my parents had been as supportive as you are! I started eating veg when I was 16 and as someone stated already it really is helpful to have other people around you eating similarly on occasion. Good luck to ya both!
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @rwieber this is one of the most informative, and science based, websites we've found http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12/dr-gregers-2011-optimum-nutrition-recommendations/ also get your daughter perhaps to look on there and do some of her own research too :)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that as tasty as almond milk is, it has very little protein in it. So just know that it's not a protein source like cow's milk or soy, which is not a problem if she's getting protein elsewhere.

I'd recommend doing some research (I second the Vegan Health recommendation, he also cowrote "Vegan for Life" which is very sensible and I highly recommend it) then seeing an RD to get advice specific to a teenager. Your doc is unlikely to know much about nutrition, just because docs are generally not trained in it, so don't rely on him/her as a source of nutritional advice.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I would never pander to a 15 year old's dietetic preference. She's a teenager. For all you know she'll be trying Freelee's fruitarian diet after a week. Have her eat what you fix her, or have her make her own food. If she's old enough to start making demands of what she eats, she's old enough to make it herself. Stop enabling her. What happens if your other kids start insisting that they all want to follow different diets? Are you going to cook separate meals for all of them? You're setting a dangerously exhausting precedence, here.
  • Khankimba
    Khankimba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a woman who has raised 3 amazing children, I absolutely agree with your support of your daughter! I assume she is going vegan for ethical reasons, and she absolutely deserves your respect for that. In turn, she will be more likely to listen to your advice about her nutritional needs. You sound like a great mom!