Butter and Margarine of any types....

Options
13»

Replies

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Fat is essential to the diet, in moderation. But some fats are better than others, and after growing up on margarine, I am now a butter fan! I do have other fat sources as well, just remember moderation, you only need a little bit of added fat.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    Does anyone still use lard?

Lots of great mexican food where I live. That means lard in the beans and lard in the tamales and lard in the tortillas. If you ate lard all day that's probably bad but a little animal fat won't hurt you.

• meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Does anyone still use lard?

yes, but i mix it with butter when i'm making pie crusts for the holidays. i keep a box of it in the fridge, just for that use. i grew up on margarine (it was cheaper and we were poor), but then when things picked up for my family we switched to butter and it took me a long time to get used to it. my ex hated butter but loved country crock... knowing what i know now about butter and margarine, i can't believe i ever used that crap.

i used to go through a LOT of butter when i'd cook, but my endocrinologist asked me to take it out until i get my next round of bloodwork tests done to see if i can bring my total cholesterol levels down. so i've switched to primarily olive oil and only use butter in recipes that require it, like baking or roasted veggie dishes that use a compound butter.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I quit buying butter when it would sit for months in the fridge, mostly unused. Now I just use olive/canola oil where I used to use butter. So I don't keep it at home, but I'd eat it if I were out somewhere.

Re: lard - it's in some commercial pie crusts.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    OMG LARD
  • erinb419
    Options
    I cook with olive oil instead of butter because unsaturated fats are better than saturated fats. However, between butter and margarine, I would choose butter because it's less processed.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have not eliminated it but I have cut it way back in favor of olive oil and coconut oil. In situations where those oils don't work for whatever reason, then I still use butter. Margarine... I use very little. When I do it is tub margarine. Stick margarine is horrible for you.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    nessab70 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has totally eliminated all types of margarine and butter out of their diets?

I love butter it satisfies me and makes me feel content. So that creates moderation. Margarine is the devil
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love butter flavor and use very small quantities of unsalted butter on vegetables. It adds maybe 15 calories to a serving of veggies. Worth it to me. For cooking I mostly spray olive oil.

I've never willingly eaten margarine in my life. :disagree:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    caminoslo wrote: »
    nessab70 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has totally eliminated all types of margarine and butter out of their diets?

I love butter it satisfies me and makes me feel content. So that creates moderation. Margarine is the devil

The devil?? Seriously? Which margarine is the devil? There are so many different varieties with different ingredients.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Margarine is nasty..why would you eat it when you can have butter? Mmmm...butter :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Mmmm butter. I love cinnamon raisin toast hot out of the toaster with butter slathered on it so it melts in. No problem with weight loss here.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    NO margarine, but YES to Butter all the way!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Butter is real. Margarine is fake. Why do you need to cut it out? Life will suck without butter...
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use country crock churn style. It's 60 calories a tablespoon and most times I don't need a whole tablespoon anyway. Except on baked potatoes. That is just they way it is :D
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Butter, olive oil, canola oil, and occasionally bacon grease.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I love them both, but rarely eat either. I use olive oil to coat cookware, but for spreads, I go with Laughing Cow Low Fat cheese. Comparatively speaking it's 35 calories and 2 grams of fat per wedge compared to butter's 102 calories and 12 grams of fat. Delicious on a piece of toast - dill rye being my favorite. It satisfies!
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Butter is delicious. Margarine is what I would classify as a "non-food." It's basically plastic with flavor. No benefits whatsoever. Flies aren't even attracted to a stick of margarine sitting out on a counter. Gross.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Butter is delicious. Margarine is what I would classify as a "non-food." It's basically plastic with flavor. No benefits whatsoever. Flies aren't even attracted to a stick of margarine sitting out on a counter. Gross.

This is nonsense. Even if you ignore the fact that there are a huge variety of margarines, some of which contain only natural ingredients, old school margarine was not plastic and I guarantee you that a variety of bugs, including flies, are attracted to it. I grew up on the stuff, bugs would be all over it if you left it out uncovered.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't care for margarine, but I'm all about butter!