How Do I Get Out of Starvation Mode?

Options
I'm three pounds away from my goal weight, but I've put myself into starvation mode. How do I get out without gaining weight?

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode does not exist. It is a myth. If you burn up more calories than you take in, you will lose the weight. If you are not losing, then you are not eating at a deficit.
    3lbs is also less than what you can gain a day in water weight. Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day? (preferably first thing in the AM after the bathroom and before you eat breakfast)

3lbs isn't a lot.. and you may want to set your goal to 0.5lbs a week - it will take longer, but you will have a better time keeping it off.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You were never in starvation mode.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are not in starvation mode. Please explain in detail the issue you are having so you could get some appropriate advice.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What do you consider to be starvation mode exactly?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does exist, but it's extremely rare.
    If you're eating food, probably you're not there.

The body prefers to consume carbs (glucose & glycogen), then fat, then protein.
    Starvation mode = the body consuming its own muscle for fuel in a desperate attempt to find food before dying from not being able to breathe or have a heartbeat.

Keep eating at a slight calorie deficit (like maybe 12 cal / lb of goal weight) and exercising.
    And realize that you can fluctuate 3 lb in a day just from what you eat, drink, & excrete.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, her ticker says "16 lb lost, 1 lb to go".
  • Newtonville
    Newtonville Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes, I understand "starvation mode" is a bit of a myth, but I often get that message from MFP when my caloric intake in under my goal. Anyway, it appears that despite being on or slightly under my daily caloric goal, the weight just isn't coming off. I've gotten stuck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm three pounds away from my goal weight, but I've put myself into starvation mode. How do I get out without gaining weight?

Left Down Up Right, B A B A Select Start
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It's possible you may actually be eating too little as well, try upping your calories a little and see if that helps, weightloss tends to get frustrating as some times it stops coming off and you stall, you just need to play around with your calories and see what works. Good luck
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you have stopped losing weight you are no longer in a deficit. Plain and simple.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Obvious Troll.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand "starvation mode" is a bit of a myth, but I often get that message from MFP when my caloric intake in under my goal. Anyway, it appears that despite being on or slightly under my daily caloric goal, the weight just isn't coming off. I've gotten stuck.

What do you mean you gotten stuck? How long have you been maintaining the same weight?
  • Newtonville
    Newtonville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks. I got it. Feeling the love.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is BS!!!! If your not losing your not in a deficit! So maybe eat less and move more! And are tracking accurately, cuz you may be eating more than you think!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You haven't provided enough information in order to receive help.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options

What do you mean you gotten stuck? How long have you been maintaining the same weight?

Yes, it would be helpful if you answer the above questions and add as much info as possible. With what little has been given, not many suggestions can be made. Besides, maybe you've reached your comfortable weight and don't need to lose any more?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You're starving? Eat more. Duh.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist, so you have to get in deficit mode.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You get out of starvation mode by eating more. Your body is struggling to keep whatever nutrients you are consuming. It sounds crazy but weight loss doesn't mean food loss. It means watching what you eat and staying within your calorie goals and getting at least 30 minutes of cardio in a day or at least 5 days out of the week. You may be scared to add more calories, I know I was, but I am still losing weight by eating more and not getting sick from not eating enough.