How Do I Get Out of Starvation Mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" as its used as a buzz word around MFP doesn't actually exist. However, it is possible to damage/slow your metabolism by chronically undereating. Since you say you get that message in your diary a lot, it's very possible that you've been eating too little.

Taking that into account, I would disregard the people telling you to eat less. Like, she's already eating under 1200, guys... we're going to tell her to eat even less than that? That's called an eating disorder. Cool.

Of course, if you're not logging accurately, that changes. But if you're sure you are 100% accurate and you're still constantly eating too little, you need to slowly increase your intake to an appropriate amount of calories for weight loss. I agree with the person who said set your goal to lose .5 pounds a week, and then make sure you meet your calorie goal every day. You might see a temporary weight gain, but as long as you are logging accurately, you should be back on track soon. Hang in there.
  • oh_tree
    oh_tree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is NOT a myth it's the same as starvation response ... the only way to get out of it is to eat which will result in your metabolism not being dead--- usually I've heard it used to imply that your body is eating it's own muscles to survive though so at that point it's irrational and dangerous to continue weight loss.
  • Newtonville
    Newtonville Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback and information. I'm going to try upping the caloric intake a bit and see if I can't get my metabolic rate up too.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    oh_tree wrote: »
    starvation mode is NOT a myth it's the same as starvation response ... the only way to get out of it is to eat which will result in your metabolism not being dead--- usually I've heard it used to imply that your body is eating it's own muscles to survive though so at that point it's irrational and dangerous to continue weight loss.

The only way your metabolism dies is if you are dead. OP is not in starvation mode, he or she is at maintenance... with only 3 lbs to go that is very understandable. In order to continue losing weight, you have to be in a deficit and that won't happen by increasing caloric intake. But with only 3 lbs to go, I'd not worry about it since your weight can fluctuate 3 lbs between morning and night depending on many things and when you weigh yourself.
  • oh_tree
    oh_tree Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback and information. I'm going to try upping the caloric intake a bit and see if I can't get my metabolic rate up too.

:D (*) that should do it! (and if you very very lightly increase exercise like maybe just stretching/yoga type stuff you should lose those 3lbs no prob is my GUESS ) <3
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

dbmata wrote: »
    I'm three pounds away from my goal weight, but I've put myself into starvation mode. How do I get out without gaining weight?

Left Down Up Right, B A B A Select Start

007-373-5963
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try holding in the Power button while simultaneously pressing Reset.

If that fails, take out the cartridge and blow in it, then put it back in and press Power.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm three pounds away from my goal weight, but I've put myself into starvation mode. How do I get out without gaining weight?

Have you been starving yourself for months? If not, then my opinion is that you are not in starvation mode.

Eating more will not cause you to lose weight. If eating more increased your metabolism, then no one would ever be overweight. Their body would just keep revving up the metabolism to burn all that fuel.

Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs per day due to water weight, "regularity", etc.

If you have been stuck for more than 3-4 weeks you are at maintenance, and need to lower your calories or increase your exercise to lose more weight. Some people do find that if they change things up, like restructuring meal timing or changing workouts, they will start losing again, but I would guess that is only because the changes they made slightly increased their calorie deficit.

Many people would consider you at goal weight, considering normal daily weight fluctuates. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Have you been starving yourself for months? If not, then my opinion is that you are not in starvation mode.

Eating more will not cause you to lose weight. If eating more increased your metabolism, then no one would ever be overweight. Their body would just keep revving up the metabolism to burn all that fuel.

Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs per day due to water weight, "regularity", etc.

If you have been stuck for more than 3-4 weeks you are at maintenance, and need to lower your calories or increase your exercise to lose more weight. Some people do find that if they change things up, like restructuring meal timing or changing workouts, they will start losing again, but I would guess that is only because the changes they made slightly increased their calorie deficit.

Many people would consider you at goal weight, considering normal daily weight fluctuates. Congrats on your weight loss![/quote]

This.