Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Only lost 1lb in nine days

AmberMagdalena
AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning MFPs! I've been dieting for as long as I can remember, trying to find lifestyle changes that'll stick forever. Since I had my son a year ago, I haven't beening modifying my lifestyle as much. I took advantage of burning a lot of calories breastfeeding and I hadn't had the energy to exercise. Well, now I'm back to it, following a low glycemic index diet as well as daily gym time. I've only lost ONE pound! ONE! I weigh over 300lbs here, people! I should've dropped more than one pound in 9 days! Help!

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    How many calories are you consuming? I lost all my weight with cardio. Now I am doing strength training to tone up. Good Luck on your journey.

29509743.png

Having multiple goals and rewards set up is a great idea.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    1 lb in 9 days is progress.

Are you logging your food? Your diary isn't open so can't see
    Are you weighing your food with a scale?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale?
    Do you measure your liquids with measuring spoons/cups? (or weigh them in ounces?)
    It is important to do this to get accurate readings of what you are consuming.
    Just going by the packages is misleading... 50 chips (1 serving according the bag) are not always 29grams. It is very rare I can eat what is considered a serving for chips myself... it take A LOT to make up 29 grams!

What are your stats?
    Age? weight? height? how many lbs is your goal set to on MFP?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Sometimes a scale loss doesn't show up for 2-3 weeks after dietary and workout habits are changed.

1. Weigh/measure and log everything that goes into your mouth, including condiments and beverages. Actually weigh or measure, don't eyeball, and be mindful of portion sizes on packaged products.
    2. Find some cardio you like and do some sort of strength training.
    3. Take measurements and photos, don't rely on the scale alone.
    4. Take stock of how you feel. Are you less tired? Less bloated? Etc.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    opening your diary will give more insight
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Are you weighing often? About a month ago, I weighed 205, then 9 days later I weighed 206.9 - thankfully I could see the trend, and I had actually lost 2lbs in 8 days, then got hit by a metric tonne of water weight on day 9.

I would definitely say start chugging as much water as you can, and keep going with your exercise and changes in your diet! Water weight is SO common, especially for women (tyvm monthly cycles), and ESPECIALLY if you just started a new exercise program. I guarantee you've lost more than you think, and it's just being masked by water weight!

And it would help if you had your diary open, then people could see if anything particularly may have caused water retention - meals with extra sodium, incorrect measurements, etc.
  • AmberMagdalena
    I log EVERYTHING. Most days I even add condiments and extra calories just if I think I haven't logged properly. I only drink zero calorie beverages such as water, green tea, oolong tea, etc. I do a MINIMUM of 32 minutes of cardio every evening (30 mins of 140bpm+ and 2 minute cool down). I strength train every other day. I haven't taken mesurments. I feel much better! I don't plan on stopping exersizing any time soon and as a matter of fact will be adding a zumba class once a week in addition to my 7 day cardio starting in a few weeks once my friend moves back. I'm 5' 8" I weight 308lbs. My highest weight was 336(5 years ago) with my most recent highest weight at 319lbs a couple months ago. My lowest weight since being an adult was 246lbs and that was 7 years ago. I am currently going through a process for weight loss surgery but I'd like to lose 40+lbs on my own first.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    I log EVERYTHING. Most days I even add condiments and extra calories just if I think I haven't logged properly. I only drink zero calorie beverages such as water, green tea, oolong tea, etc. I do a MINIMUM of 32 minutes of cardio every evening (30 mins of 140bpm+ and 2 minute cool down). I strength train every other day. I haven't taken mesurments. I feel much better! I don't plan on stopping exersizing any time soon and as a matter of fact will be adding a zumba class once a week in addition to my 7 day cardio starting in a few weeks once my friend moves back. I'm 5' 8" I weight 308lbs. My highest weight was 336(5 years ago) with my most recent highest weight at 319lbs a couple months ago. My lowest weight since being an adult was 246lbs and that was 7 years ago. I am currently going through a process for weight loss surgery but I'd like to lose 40+lbs on my own first.

Ok, my next suggestion is, as you are logging and weighing/measuring your foods/drinks - if you are comfortable with it, I would open your food diary.
    It MAY be a case of choosing the wrong food/drink entries? If more knowledgeable people on here can access your diary, they may have a better idea to give you more productive suggestions to try.
    Usually people aren't weighing and measuring food, and THAT is the problem... you seem to be doing that, so I would think maybe the foods you pick from the database aren't the right ones?

Always try to avoid the ones with an * or Generic in the name. Try to avoid any Homemade options....

• GiveMeCoffee

Exercising is great, not sure why you're doing 7 days of cardio. If you would like some help please open your diary.
  • AmberMagdalena
    Ok I'll open My diary
  • AmberMagdalena
    Diary now open
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's only been 9 days. Making sure that you're logging accurately, etc. isn't a bad idea, but it's too soon to tell whether or not your routine is working. The body has a tendency to do weird things for a couple of weeks when it's adjusting to a new diet and exercise routine and sometimes it takes a little while to see the results on the scale.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    First thoughts, lots of processed/on the go foods. Hard to know without weighing your exact intake if these calorie and macro counts are correct. Is it possible for you to meal plan in advance and bring your own meals and snacks to work/school/wherever you are headed to?

Secondly, but really goes along with the first, portion sizes. 2 cups of cheese grits is surely more than necessary, and may not be worth the calories they cost you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Good news you are on the right track, if you clean up your logging and have patience it will help.

When your logging stay away from generic entries.
    Generic - Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich, 1 sandwich (these type of entries are not remotely accurate)

Don't use homemade like this entry from your diary:
    Homemade - Smothered Porkchops and Gravy, 4 oz
    Homemade Eggplant Parm - Baked Eggplant, 6 Slices

You don't know what was used in that recipe, if you are making something use the recipe builder or enter the ingredients.

So in 9 days you lost 1 lb, you went to a buffet on Friday night. You are doing good, just clean up the logging and stick with it.

This link will help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • AmberMagdalena
    Yeah, Every friday my parents go to Ryan's buffet. I hate the place but they insist on my son and I going with them. I had a salad with spinach, egg, sunflower seeds, mushrooms and tomatos, baked fish, 1/2 sweet potato, and broccoli. about 4 or 5 glasses of water.
  • AmberMagdalena
    I made some more accuate modifications to the entries
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you just started back at the gym there is a good chance your muscles are retaining water. so you may have lost 3 lbs of fat, but gained 2 of water for this reason. I suggest when new to a program to stay off the scale for at least 2 weeks for this water retention to sort itself out
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Do you have a food scale? It can definitely help with accurately weighing out portion sizes, and get your logging more accurate!
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Watch this quick video just for a great example of why accurate tracking is so important: http://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

Also, how often do you weigh yourself, and do you have a specific day that you log it?
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Do you meal prep? I suggest prepping meals. This way there is no grab and go junk food. Also, I recommend upping your Protein. If you are weight lifting you need lean protein. Im 166ish and I eat 140-200g a day. Have you tried eating clean? No Processed food?