Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Only lost 1lb in nine days

Replies

• mitchfergustitus
    mitchfergustitus Posts: 28 Member
    Portion sizes may need to be looked at. If you're not accurately logging in your food, you may be deceiving yourself as to the number of calories you are truly consuming. Drink lots of water, do your exercises, and be patient. Results will come.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    I have to say, the question is good, the answers are good and it is refreshing to see the OP not fighting against the advice! Last several threads along this line went sooo bad.

OP, take notes, these people are all on the right track.

Be BRUTALLY honest about what and how much you eat (allow a little OCD action for awhile without becoming one eternally) eating at a calorie deficit. I hate the word "clean" here, but try to eat the simplest foods with the most nutrients, hence "clean eating". Research it. Then kill it with cardio and strength training. And no matter what the scale says or what minor or major setback you feel you have had, keep going, and going, and going.

If one man has done it, any man can do it.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    I agree with those above, you need to log more accurately.

On the bright side, even though it is only 1 pound, you are 1 pound lighter than you were 9 days ago, it is still progress in the right direction! I started at 325 pounds, and some weeks I'll lose 1 lb, other weeks it will be 2. There are so many variables, so I just celebrate any loss, regardless of how small!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    I made more accuate modifications to my diary. I'm eatting a little too many carbs and sodium from not prepping food and rather just getting pre made. I know I need to cook ahead of time but it's hard with a one year old.
  • AmberMagdalena
    Thank you all for the advice! A friend of mine on facebook gave me this grocery list for the week:
    Carton of eggs (Organic if possible)
    Almond Milk (optional)
    Asparagus (21 spears)
    (2) Packets of turkey bacon
    (1) Red pepper
    (2) Green Apples
    (1) Container of almonds
    (1) Box of spinach salad
    (1) Box of strawberries
    (1) Small container of reduced fat feta cheese
    (1) Small container of walnuts
    (1) Bag of baby carrots
    (1) Box of 100 calorie wholly guacamole
    8 oz of chicken
    Brown rice cakes (no salt added, Lundenburg brand)
    (1) Container of almond butter
    (1) Tomato
    4 oz of wild caught salmon
    greek yogurt
    Bananas
    (2) Medium sweet potatoes
    1lb of ground turkey (99% lean)
    (1) Can of black or pinto beans (organic please)
    (1) Can of tomato sauce (gluten free!)

Hopefully I can find all of these things in my small town :) Does this look ok to all of you?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    With your one year old, look at it this way. As you prepare good, healthy foods for the both of you, you are teaching him to eat well and grow up healthy without a weight problem. Science shows kids love salty and sweet flavors so it may be a bit of adjustment for him. Cooking from scratch can be really easy. If you'd like, you could tell me some things you like and I could suggest some easy ways to make something similar. I'm retired and cooking is my hobby so feel free to message me.

Also, you may want to look at the Healthy Eating Plate at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/. Nutritionsource is a great site for good information about what we should be eating.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I made more accuate modifications to my diary. I'm eatting a little too many carbs and sodium from not prepping food and rather just getting pre made. I know I need to cook ahead of time but it's hard with a one year old.

You are on the right track. I've lost 118 lbs and I eat processed foods, carbs and buffets. I wasn't picking on you about the buffet, I pointed it out as sometimes you'll have more water retention due to the sodium.

Learning to log accurately took me a little while, when i was first starting the only thing I worried about was how many calories. Once I got a hang of logging and was making progress I started tracking carbs, protein, fat and fiber.

Take it one step at a time, one pound at a time, and one meal at a time. If you are consistent it will work, you just have to have patience. Also remember the scale is one way of measuring progress, don't get hung up on one number, track the weight, and watch for overall trends. If it's heading downward you are on the right track, if its upward time to start looking at what you can tweak. But also track your progress on fitness, is that improving? How are you feeling? There are many gauges of progress use them all.

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for opening the diary....culprits in my opinion...sodium, carbs and portion control...as for the workouts don't burn out on the cardio...try some brisk walks outside to change up the routine grab that stroller and kiddo and bundle up while ya still can...add sodium to your food tracker try to stay under 1500-2000mg for starters and then like 200-250 grams on carbs per day to get you going. You can friend me if you like. (I rarely pre prep food portion control is key read labels to know what a serving size is)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Thank you all for the advice! A friend of mine on facebook gave me this grocery list for the week:
    Carton of eggs (Organic if possible)
    Almond Milk (optional)
    Asparagus (21 spears)
    (2) Packets of turkey bacon
    (1) Red pepper
    (2) Green Apples
    (1) Container of almonds
    (1) Box of spinach salad
    (1) Box of strawberries
    (1) Small container of reduced fat feta cheese
    (1) Small container of walnuts
    (1) Bag of baby carrots
    (1) Box of 100 calorie wholly guacamole
    8 oz of chicken
    Brown rice cakes (no salt added, Lundenburg brand)
    (1) Container of almond butter
    (1) Tomato
    4 oz of wild caught salmon
    greek yogurt
    Bananas
    (2) Medium sweet potatoes
    1lb of ground turkey (99% lean)
    (1) Can of black or pinto beans (organic please)
    (1) Can of tomato sauce (gluten free!)

Hopefully I can find all of these things in my small town :) Does this look ok to all of you?

While this list has some good items on it, is this what you like eating? And never ever buy turkey bacon. Get the real thing.

Don't over think this. Keep it simple track what you eat, don't make lots of drastic changes as that will just make it more difficult on you. It really is as simple as calories in vs calories out. You can look at my diary if you want. I eat everything chicken, veggies, pasta, gelato, brownies... I just make it fit into my day.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I think you might be overestimating your calories burned during your workouts-->600 calories burned on the elliptical in 30 minutes is pretty high...
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    My sister lost 89 pounds in 2012. She named it The Year of "her name". She exercised everyday, although I don't think that was smart. She just had a knee replacement from too much of the wrong exercise at her weight. She was over 300 lbs at one point. She also got herself a personal trainer for a few months. I think it was great for accountability. Exercise is very important but for her, her diet was the most important change in that year. Being a binge eater, it really helped to log "all" foods. She did not weigh her food after the first month as she could eye it after that. She gained back some weight but is now down under 200.
    I'm not an expert at anything but, like you, I love learning. I read all I can on nutrition and health along with many other things. There is so much new info out there on eating too much protein. Very interesting stuff. I am now on a low carb (have been for years), med protein and high fat. It works! I am losing weight that I gained in the last few years, I am not fatigued and I don't feel hungry. Fat does not make you fat! Glucose does and if you eat more protein that your body needs, it will be turned in to glucose by your liver. Low carb is not an easy thing to do if you are use to eating lots of it. Find some info, get some books, read.
    Don't make excuses as to why you can't do something. A lot of us women have had kids and still cooked ahead. The time is there, use it wisely. Sorry, I sometimes just have to call it as I see it. Probably from being the oldest of 8. Hang in there, if you continue to make it your life, you will see progress. Don't do the surgery!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited October 2014
    One of the things I'm noticing is that you measure alot of your solid food in cups and/or by the slice/piece... Word of advice, weigh ALL solid food in grams (nutrition labels have the gram measurement in parenthesis) with a digital scale. Only use cups/tsp/tbsp/etc to measure liquids.

Another word of advice, don't measure peanut butter like you would a liquid lol... Made that mistake before. What I thought was 2 tbsp, really was about 4-5 tbsp when I weighed it out.
  • AmberMagdalena
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I think you might be overestimating your calories burned during your workouts-->600 calories burned on the elliptical in 30 minutes is pretty high...

I actually train on the arc trainer and it gives me a calorie estimate as well which is pretty similar. I go hard on that thing lol. All jokes aside, while it's true that it may be an over estimate, I never go over my calories anyway to dip into the exercise cals...at least not how i've been logging. I made a bunch of adjustments to my logs, and I still wasn't over in calories. ::shrugs::
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member

I actually train on the arc trainer and it gives me a calorie estimate as well which is pretty similar. I go hard on that thing lol. All jokes aside, while it's true that it may be an over estimate, I never go over my calories anyway to dip into the exercise cals...at least not how i've been logging. I made a bunch of adjustments to my logs, and I still wasn't over in calories. ::shrugs::

Have you had any blood work done lately? I used to be in the same situation. I weighed and measured EVERYTHING! I used my own recipes and all. I did not check your diary, but there are some of us who cant eat what we want and lose weight, some of us are insulin resistant,pre-diabetic,PCOS,or have hormonal problems. Before I was aware of my health issues I told everyone that I WAS doing everything correct, but they assumed that I was incorrect.

Now, I lose weight easily when I take my medication, cut the carbs,eat real food and SLOWLY(very slow) when I don't. So,if you haven't I would suggest talking to your Dr. about this.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Your friend left one important thing off of that shopping list...

3831S_detail.jpg

It really does make a difference
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    For your first fortnight, I think you've made a great start logging everything you eat. The second stage, where you're at now, is making this more accurate. This is why people are talking about measuring to the nearest gram and millilitre whenever possible.

The third stage could be looking at the accuracy of your calorie burn. Burning 600 calories in 30 minutes is unlikely.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Hi! first of all WOW your picture! you are so pretty (in a not creepy way!)

I see a couple of things that might be affecting your results...

First, I don't see the sodium count in your diary, I am a sodium sucker, my body bloats like crazy with something like a bag of spicy Cheetos...you might be retaining A LOT of water!

Like some other people said, your logging are not accurate (I made that same mistake before!) try to find the food with more "confirmations" and if you are eating stuff that is packaged, SCAN SCAN SCAN the bar codes!

last, I truly feel that you are over estimating your Calorie burn, machines usually are wayyy higher than real life... what I do is I under estimate my burns, I run almost every day 2 to 3 miles, 3.8 mph, and I always calculate my burns at 100 calories... One hour of body pump , for example, its about 300 calories and that is INTENSE cardio plus lifting...

I would recommend to lower your burn estimates to about 200 calories, and drop your calories to 1600 or 1800 ? try it out!

best luck!!!
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rainbowblu wrote: »

Have you had any blood work done lately? I used to be in the same situation. I weighed and measured EVERYTHING! I used my own recipes and all. I did not check your diary, but there are some of us who cant eat what we want and lose weight, some of us are insulin resistant,pre-diabetic,PCOS,or have hormonal problems. Before I was aware of my health issues I told everyone that I WAS doing everything correct, but they assumed that I was incorrect.

Now, I lose weight easily when I take my medication, cut the carbs,eat real food and SLOWLY(very slow) when I don't. So,if you haven't I would suggest talking to your Dr. about this.
    You know maybe instead of writting out a post full of possibilities of disease and excuses you should have taken the time to actually look at the diary. I wish people would stop hoping on the I've got this or that disease bandwagon and realize how terrible their logging is.

Feel free to call me rude if you'd like. I'd rather be rude than give thoughtless advice.

My advice was not thoughtless. I have been in the same position so my information may be helpful to the OP or someone else in the same situation.

You seem to go into EVERY thread being rude to everyone, sorry sweets but I have a life so I'm not going to have an internet argument with you.

• AmberMagdalena

I've been diagnosed with PCOS since 2009. It was great the whole time I was breastfeeding but now it's back and worse than ever.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    MrM27 wrote: »

You know maybe instead of writting out a post full of possibilities of disease and excuses you should have taken the time to actually look at the diary. I wish people would stop hoping on the I've got this or that disease bandwagon and realize how terrible their logging is.

Feel free to call me rude if you'd like. I'd rather be rude than give thoughtless advice.

No, that post should be written, that's why the diet books say "see your Dr. first" so many people start a "diet" without seeing their Dr. and try to lose weight not knowing if they have something that can hinder their progress. I tried to lose weight for months before I was diagnosed with Pcos and Prediabetes.I was losing 1 pound a month before I saw my Dr. now I'm losing 6-8 lbs. a month. These diseases are not an "excuse" they actually make weight loss harder, had I continued on my 40% carbs diet and not saw my Dr. I would still be struggling to lose weight. My diet is not different, I'm not logging any differently, my body is just under control and doing what its supposed to now that I'm medicated.