What one dietitian recommends

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why do people (supposedly educated people) have to make things so complicated? Eat whatever you want at every meal as long as you are eating at a deficit every day!
    Easy Peasy

Because they have outrageously high student loans to pay off?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Putting this out there to inform and get your reaction.

I joined a "biggest loser" group at my local gym, and we just had our first session with the dietitian. I found it interesting, as she didn't advocate a calorie counting regime (though she didn't oppose it). Instead, here's what she said

- eat carbs only in the morning and afternoon, no carbs at night
    - aim for about 1 gram of carbs per pound goal weight
    - women should eat one to two servings (15 grams per serving) of carb rich foods at breakfast and lunch and one with snacks. none with dinner. (so that's 75 grams of carbs a day)
    - men should eat two to three servings of carbs at breakfast and lunch, and one to two with a snack.
    - eat .5 to 1 grams of protein per pound of goal body weight
    - women should eat 1 to 2 services of protein at breakfast and snacks, 3 to 4 ounces at lunch; men should eat 2 protein servicings at breakfast and snacks and 6 oz at dinner
    - eat small amounts of healthy fat with every meal

So, just as a back of the envelope calculation, as a woman, with these limitations, I don't see how you can get up aboe 1200 cals a day. What do you think?

All women should weigh 75 lbs. Got it.

This is what I was wondering...my goal weight is 160 lbs...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    BTW!!!! she also recommends these calorie formulas for losing weight 10x goal weight for sedentary, 12 x for light exercise, (1-3 times a week), 14x for moderate exercise (3-5 times a week); 16 for vigorous exercise (6-7 times a week) 18x for daily exercise and physically demanding job. with thesenumbers I would gain!
    That would be 1900-2200 calories for me...which is actually not that far off from what I'm eating now to lose 1 lb/wk...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    - eat carbs only in the morning and afternoon, no carbs at night
    - aim for about 1 gram of carbs per pound goal weight

Good grief! I eat probably 200-250g of carbs every day, a lot of them at dinner (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, vegetables, etc.). No wonder I haven't lost any weight.

Oh, wait a minute...

34527787.png