Questions about Stronglifts 5x5

Options
I did a little bit of reading up on this routine just have a few questions...

1) Do women also begin at 45 lb?
2) Will this only give my arms definition.. i would also like to see definition in my abs and butt, should i do additional ab exercises?
3) I am a complete beginner when it comes to weight training... how hard is it?
4) If you have done this what are your results/ thoughts on the program.. how soon did you see progress.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bump also. From what I have read about it I would start with what is semi hard to do 5 reps of. If 45LBs is too easy increase the weight.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you go to the StrongLifts website it gives a very detailed summary of what to do, should answer all your questions.

No, exercise alone will not reveal muscle definition. To reduce bodyfat one must have a nutrition plan that supports the goal of fat loss. Exercise will help augment weight loss but will not reduce bodyfat on its own; you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:

1) If this is light enough, then go ahead. You should start all exercises light, at this point form is way more important than weight.

2) This will depend more on your diet. AFAIK no need to add abs exercises, squats and deadlifts and even overhead press are excelent exercises for your abs.

3) I guess this depends on the person. My advise would be to get someone that helps you to get your form right for every exercise. Or watch a lot of videos. Youtube is a great source. I have had a lot of fun doing this program, but that is me, I like the challenge.

4) As a beginner it is normal to do quick gains, stick to the program (Again SL website provides a lot of info for free, I would recomend to read it all). I am not the most disciplined trainer, off and on, and I have increased the weight I can lift around 40% than when I started. Again I am fairly weak and started all exercises with empty bars.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Read the website, it will answer most of your questions.

When I started getting into lifting I started with SL 5x5. Even though I know I could lift more than what I started with I started light to really focus on form before it got heavy. I would suggest starting with the bar. I would also suggest following the program as it is laid out, but if you want to add in a few accessory lifts to hit weak areas that's fine, just don't over due it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, except for overhead press, usually. If you're not strong enough, get a lighter bar to start.

2. Definition comes from your diet. If you've never strength-trained before, you will see some difference just from your newb gains, but most muscle definition comes from cutting your bodyfat in the form of a calorie deficit.

3. It's supposed to be hard. If it's not, you're not lifting heavy enough. ("Hard" is not to be confused with "pain." If it's too painful for you to do, either deload, fix your form, or both.)

4. It's an excellent beginner program, and one that I'm currently doing. I have increased strength on most lifts about 30% in two months. In conjunction with my calorie deficit, I am starting to see my abs and shoulders in ways I hadn't ever before. Squats 3x a week are a little hard for me since I have knee troubles, but otherwise the program is good. You can apply the 5x5 format to other lifts besides those outlined on the website, which is what I do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

2) Will this only give my arms definition.. i would also like to see definition in my abs and butt, should i do additional ab exercises?
    4) If you have done this what are your results/ thoughts on the program.. how soon did you see progress.

1. DTPC
    2. It won't give definition. Definition may be earned if BF% is low enough.
    3. It's hard.
    4. I did this for a little bit before hiring a coach. I saw progress weekly.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do them and I have seen amazing progress so far. I have arthritis in my shoulders, hips and knees so I started low. It does work
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of SL 5X5. Although I had lifted for some time I followed the program from the beginning and started with just the empty bar. Seemed easy at first but it progressively got tougher. Did this with my brother who lives 1500 miles away and we compared notes regularly - I stopped because of work constraints and he kept going until he was able to squat 225..... He gained a lot of definition and major muscle mass on his legs. I agree with reading the entier web site and watching videos. Workout in front of a mirror and make sure you get the form correct while you are still on working with light weight. Enjoy! (BTW - I am back at it and enjoying it just as much!)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    There's a Stronglifts 5x5 for Women group on this site. There are guys who are members as well btw.

I hate the SL website and Medhi's emails. He's a douche. The group here has helpful links and personal stories on it. So I suggest searching for it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

1) if you're strong enough to do so comfortably, then yes. If not, start at a lower weight.
    2) Nope. I lost 3 inches off my waist & 3 from my hips within the first few months. The routine is a full-body workout.
    3)Not very hard at all. Form is very important. Meet with a trainer and watch a zillion youtube vids.
    4) I was seeing improvements physically within a month. I felt stronger within weeks. I lost inches. I think its a great program.

Good luck!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

1) I've doing this for about 3 weeks. I've been able to progressively get heavier at the squats and deadlifts, but the bench, overhead and rows has been slow progress. I started bench at 40 lb. Start at what is best for YOU.
    2) The squats for every workout will work your gluts, abs and quads. The deadlifts will work your hamstrings...so definitely more than just your arms. I still do additional ab work on strength training days after the weights.
    3) if you follow the program....easy peasy
    4) just starting and I was sick for a week, so minimal results so far, though I do see a bit in the shoulders. It will take longer for me to see it in the butt and legs as that is where I carry most of my weight.
  • dbmata
    Options
    for the folks saying it is easy.

Are you following the progressive loading? you should be working at a weight intensity where those last reps are extremely challenging.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Are you following the progressive loading? you should be working at a weight intensity where those last reps are extremely challenging.

I'm thinking that those folks just mean that the program is easy to follow, not that the workout is easy.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to start stronglifts! :D
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts is probably easy at first, or at least easier for the Squat & Deadlift. It should progressively get harder of course.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I'm thinking that those folks just mean that the program is easy to follow, not that the workout is easy.

I would hope that is what they mean. Nothing about it should be easy when it comes to doing the work.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Join this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Great summary of the exercises and suggestions for what many women may need to start at.

I do StrongLifts (modified) and enjoy it. I had to start lighter than 45lb on the OHP. Everything else, 45lb wasn't a problem. The progression slowed quickly for me. I was not able to add 5lb per session on all the exercises. I now have to progress with smaller increases, like 2.5lb. You'll want fractional plates at some point.

StrongLifts will give you overall strength. You'll gain definition as you lose fat. While I now add some extra core work, I wouldn't at first. Start the program and see how you do/feel. Proper form on all the exercises will give your core plenty of work.

The real key is to learn form and do all the exercises properly.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    2014-10-15_14.31.08_zpszovjo6gh.jpg

These pics were taken from June 2014 through last night (10/14/14). I started really working the SL5x5 program on July 15th. This past month I have been really focused on eating better.

I love the program! It gave me the confidence to keep going since I wasn't starting at a weight that was too heavy. The progression was quick at first but has since slowed down. Since July and now, lifting has become a priority along with my health. I didn't realize the changes that happened until I made this collage.

Good luck on your program!