I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    There are many English speaking countries in the world that use different pronunciations for the same word. Even in the USA there are different dialects. They are all valid and rule-based.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    How Americans pronounce aluminium... Its Al- u-mini-um

Not... Il-um-inum

Jeez!

I know, but apparently "aluminum" is an older use of the word. I've heard that with quite a few "Americanisms" - they are using an older version, whereas the UK English version has changed (instead of the other way round). I can't think of any off hand.

I was also surprised to find out that the "grocers' apostrophe" (apple's, orange's, pear's, etc.) is actually an older use of punctuation. I try not to let that one bother me now.

My pet peeve is using a comma to join two sentences together, this sentence is an example of it. Phew, I hated typing that! But I think that's a case of grammar changing, because I see it more and more in official publications.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but...it rubs me the wrong way when people call soda "pop." You call it by the brand name/'soda' or you call it nothing at all!

That's a regional thing. What you call it depends on where you're from. Down here in Texas everything is a "Coke".

Where I grew up, all fizzy non-alcoholic drinks were called "ginger"!
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, could somebody please direct me to the rest room?
  • alpenpam
    alpenpam Posts: 27
    Options
    I've decided to slightly modify and subsequently liberate this important message from the confines of my news feed and present it to the larger MFP community for consideration.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE.

It REALLY pisses me off when words that should be pronounced a certain way because of how they are spelled are pronounced otherwise, usually because they are a proper name. This message was brought to you courtesy of the Weber grilling sauce commercial I just watched. From my couch. At work. Having said that, it's pronounced WEE-BUR not WEB-BER. If you want people to say WEB-BER then spell it with TWO Bs. Sorry that WEE-BUR doesn't sound as cool to the American ear and as such is not as marketable but that does not give you the right to OFFEND MY FINELY-TUNED SENSIBILITIES.

What say you, friends? Are you equally offended? Of course you are. Don't hold back. UNLEASH YOUR RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!

* Topic Locked *

First off: I love you, because you made me laugh, and I know exactly how you feel.
    Then: What offends me just as much as the wrong pronunciation of words are stupid sounds. Sounds that are sometimes used in commercials that just don't exist in real life or really don't make any sense. Once I notice that a commercial has one of those stupid sounds, I really want to just throw my TV out of the window every time I see that commercial. UGH. Drives me insane!
  • Iowadolls
    Iowadolls Posts: 7
    Options
    Interesting subject..
  • Iowadolls
    Iowadolls Posts: 7
    Options
    cell phone ringing in the ad Errrrr
  • rdukes08
    rdukes08 Posts: 4
    Options
    What drives me crazy is the "s" on the end of regard when used as such....".With regard to losing weight, with regard to your success, with regard to anything." The "s" on the end of regard should be used when used with Best regards, Kind regards, etc.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    These pretzels are making me thirsty . . .
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    the only thing that offends me are people who are the grammar police and correct and obbess over spelling mistakes. I am from Arkansas y'all that is how we talk arouund my neck of the woods. we have more important things to worry over besides grammar

I actually think that growing up in Arkansas is what made me so particular about grammar and spelling. If you tell someone you're from Arkansas they assume you're uneducated. I never wanted to give them any more reason to think that way.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Just reading the post about Arkansas made me think of a client who was adding a boat or trailer or something to an insruance policy and she described it as an "Are-Kansas Traveller" I struggled to get the correct spelling after a few "pardon mes" and then realized this idiot meant ARKANSAS Traveller. She got all hoity toity with me when I said "oh, you mean Arkansas?" LOL Moron.

Ps - she was from Ontario.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    What about those commercials where everybody is shipping their pants?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    GET OVER YOURSELF -- YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN.

^^^THIS!^^^ Who cares rather a word is pronounced right, or even if it's being used in the right context - if you know what the person is talking about and in 99.999% of the cases, you DO! Even in a written conversation, if the person is using the wrong form of the word: example: your, you're, or ever ur or u r - you still know EXACTLY what they mean!

You are OVER THINKING this! Over thinking = unnecessary worry = STRESS!!

Stress is the glue that holds my existence together.
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    Actually, it offends me when people who think they are language experts but in actuality know very little about language ***** about such trivial linguistic-related things.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It bugs me a little when I say something like "come to the park with Jeremy and me," and someone responds with "don't you mean come to the park with Jeremy and I?"

No, no. I meant it as it was said.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it is WEB-BER
    that shoul d be the least of your worries........................