I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
I've decided to slightly modify and subsequently liberate this important message from the confines of my news feed and present it to the larger MFP community for consideration.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE.

It REALLY pisses me off when words that should be pronounced a certain way because of how they are spelled are pronounced otherwise, usually because they are a proper name. This message was brought to you courtesy of the Weber grilling sauce commercial I just watched. From my couch. At work. Having said that, it's pronounced WEE-BUR not WEB-BER. If you want people to say WEB-BER then spell it with TWO Bs. Sorry that WEE-BUR doesn't sound as cool to the American ear and as such is not as marketable but that does not give you the right to OFFEND MY FINELY-TUNED SENSIBILITIES.

What say you, friends? Are you equally offended? Of course you are. Don't hold back. UNLEASH YOUR RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!

* Topic Locked *

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Ummm, hearing the word "penalized" pronounced"pee-nal-ized" sounds kinda dirty to me. Does that count?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    "Loosing" weight offends me.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Ummm, hearing the word "penalized" pronounced"pee-nal-ized" sounds kinda dirty to me. Does that count?

Yes! Yes it does! Thank you for sharing this!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    this is the exact reason i have changed my name to a symbol that is unpronouncable....
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    and susequently
    subsequently*
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options

O.M.G. To the power of 9000 this!!!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have fought the pronunciation of the picture file format .gif for more than 20 years. I was vindicated earlier this week by the creator. It is indeed a soft G, not a hard one.

bugs.gif

'sokay, I fought the same battle with Star Wars being 9 films for longer... and was right all along. I'm not crazy, I swear. Much.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    and susequently
    subsequently*

I'm sorry, what?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything pisses me off, but this thread is the last straw. Where's the fist-waving smiley? :mad:
  • emtjmac
    Options
    I have fought the pronunciation of the picture file format .gif for more than 20 years. I was vindicated earlier this week by the creator. It is indeed a soft G, not a hard one.

bugs.gif

'sokay, I fought the same battle with Star Wars being 9 films for longer... and was right all along. I'm not crazy, I swear. Much.

You are entirely correct and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am a real stickler for proper grammar and pronunciation and it really does get to me when people don't do these things right - like my ex had a horrific time pronouncing things (the confusing name of the Asian supermarket, okay, I'll give him that - foreign language and all) but even simple words were like above him.

If Grammar Nazis were not hated all across the internet, I'd likely be one, but I just keep my mouth shut and cringe when I see some of my friends don't know the difference between your/you're or their/there/they're....
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    and susequently
    subsequently*

I'm sorry, what?
    I'm offended that you're not using a browser that would have placed a squiggly red line under that when you posted it.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    I am a real stickler for proper grammar and pronunciation and it really does get to me when people don't do these things right - like my ex had a horrific time pronouncing things (the confusing name of the Asian supermarket, okay, I'll give him that - foreign language and all) but even simple words were like above him.

If Grammar Nazis were not hated all across the internet, I'd likely be one, but I just keep my mouth shut and cringe when I see some of my friends don't know the difference between your/you're or their/there/they're....

The only solution is constant correction. What good is a friend if they can't perform simple contractions? NO GOOD IS THE ANSWER!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Here baby, have some cheese to go with your whine.

:drinker:
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You should sit in the same room as me and you will really be offended. I just ate beans and broccoli.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options

Ugh, this totally gets under my skin too.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options

bugs.gif

how does he intend to keep it from being confused with the peanut butter?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.

Hey m y kid does that.

cons-strate instead of concentrate

..........................and I love her for it. :love: