I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to get technical..it's pronounced "veh-ber."

If I were speaking a language other than American English, this would perhaps be correct. It is important to make this distinction, thank you for the opportunity.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Who cares how people pronounce things? There are more important things to think about...like stuff in your own life. >.<

If all any of us focused on were the things that really mattered then life would be unbearably mundane and tasteless.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ...it really does get to me when people don't do these things right...

If only we could wish them away... :ohwell:

to the cornfield? ;-)
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......but we like it, we really like it! we dont need no stinkin perry como....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Who cares how people pronounce things? There are more important things to think about...like stuff in your own life. >.<

First-world problems...:grumble:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wiki says its an American company... so wouldn't WEB-BER be more appropriate. And since the company name is the founder's family name, I'm pretty sure they know how it's supposed to be pronounced. :huh:
  • llaskoske
    llaskoske Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who says, 'and all that rigamarow', and I want to smack her. It's "RIGAMAROLE"! And Mythbusters has a Canadian announcer who can't pronounce words to save his life. I can live with 'PRO-gress' vs "prog-ress', but the one episode he kept saying "PIE-laster" instead of 'PILL-aster' (for pilaster) and I wanted to throw the TV out the window.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    This is the English language, which is a conglomerate of hundreds of dialects and a great number of words from many other languages, so pronounciation could be anything...and they're mostly all correct. For instance, the word balcony was pronounced bal-Cony (emphasis on the second syllable) up until the late 1800's. The word Ask, was originally pronounced Axed throughout the middle ages (so is technically correct).

So, you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to, so what...We've got bigger issues to deal with these days !

The correct pronunciation is toe-may-toe, all others are incorrect. This ruling is final and binding on all peoples in all nations.

So speaks the King of the Grammar Police...I bow to your "finite" wisdom... :bigsmile: LOL
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ooh ooh I got another one! People don't use it on a regular basis, but I hate it even if it is pronounced right. It's happenstance. It's very annoying!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    *chest-bump*

I am sorry about that but I am not responsible for my actions on the dance floor while the apache is playing....
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Wiki says its an American company... so wouldn't WEB-BER be more appropriate. And since the company name is the founder's family name, I'm pretty sure they know how it's supposed to be pronounced. :huh:

I do not yield the right to pronounce one's own name incorrectly. Just because time, cultural influences and tradition have warped the pronunciation of a proper name does not change it's true and accurate pronunciation per the rules of English. I have spoken!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

what if they were talking specifically about the Pacific Ocean? lol
  • emtjmac
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

what if they were talking specifically about the Pacific Ocean? lol

Mind: blown.
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    How about effect and affect..?

I know, I know, it's more of a grammar thing but I am very bothered when they are used incorrectly.

Also, the when people call Puerto Rico "Porto Rico" (correctly pronounced "pwer-to ri-co").
    It's not a rich port-o-potty, it's a commonwealth.

/rant.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I do not yield the right to pronounce one's own name incorrectly. Just because time, cultural influences and tradition have warped the pronunciation of a proper name does not change it's true and accurate pronunciation per the rules of English. I have spoken!

Then since time and cultural influences don't matter, you agree that it is indeed pronounced "Veh-ber". I am glad we could come to an agreement :D
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That's the brilliance of capitalism. You can do whatever you want with your own company. But Mr. Weber likes to pronounce it WEB-BER, and that's good enough for me!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ummm, hearing the word "penalized" pronounced"pee-nal-ized" sounds kinda dirty to me. Does that count?

BWAHAHA.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Weber is German. So shouldn't it be "Vay-ber"? That's how I've always pronounced it.

Edit to add: I don't like it when people say 'preformance' instead of 'performance.'
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    How about effect and affect..?

I know, I know, it's more of a grammar thing but I am very bothered when they are used incorrectly.

Also, the when people call Puerto Rico "Porto Rico" (correctly pronounced "pwer-to ri-co").
    It's not a rich port-o-potty, it's a commonwealth.

/rant.

I totally say Porto Rico because I get made fun of by my fiance's Porto Rican part of the family for saying Pwerto Rico. They say I'm too white to say it like that D:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Weber is German. So shouldn't it be "Vay-ber"? That's how I've always pronounced it.

Edit to add: I don't like it when people say 'preformance' instead of 'performance.'

Thank you! I've spelled it Veh-ber but in my head the veh is vay.
  • emtjmac
    Options

That's the brilliance of capitalism. You can do whatever you want with your own company. But Mr. Weber likes to pronounce it WEB-BER, and that's good enough for me!

Being a capitalist does not give one the right to pronounce one's own name incorrectly. Don't settle for less than perfect!