I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Words I'd Only Read And Never Heard Said, Then Felt Stupid When Someone Called Me Out For Pronouncing Wrong

Albeit = Al-Bait
    Chagrin = Chah-Grin
    Colonel = Col-en-al
    Ravine = Rah-vine
    Caveat = Cah-veet

Now you may all shoot lasers with your eyes at me!

I know the feeling! I have a different list- but my vocab is much better in the reading sense. Like I get a feel for it, like the word, know what it means contextually and then say it wrong- so embarrassing! I thought pseudonym was pronounced "sway-doh-nim" until I was about 20. AND the girl the called me out on it was the girl who had nicknamed me "big word b*tch" lol. I suppose that's how we learn.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As I am reading this my 2 year old had me writing letters on a paper so he could tell me what they were. I wrote an "R" and he says "aah"... yep you gotta love that Boston accent. Talk about NOT pronouncing things right. hahahahaha

My son too! One of his first words was "Cah" (you know, the thing people drive)
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    I fear for my life when someone wants to "axe" me a question.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is the English language, which is a conglomerate of hundreds of dialects and a great number of words from many other languages, so pronounciation could be anything...and they're mostly all correct. For instance, the word balcony was pronounced bal-Cony (emphasis on the second syllable) up until the late 1800's. The word Ask, was originally pronounced Axed throughout the middle ages (so is technically correct).

So, you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to, so what...We've got bigger issues to deal with these days !

The correct pronunciation is toe-may-toe, all others are incorrect. This ruling is final and binding on all peoples in all nations.

Negatory! I farkin love my TO MAH TOES MATE
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear "Can I AX you a question?" ...... I wan't to scream "NO!"
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    OH. And I think it's funny the way Americans butcher Van Gogh's surname by pronouncing it Van Go.

12604999902042333558vincent_van_gogh_-_old_man_in_sorrow_(on_the_threshold_of_eternity)-hi.png
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    That freaking made up word "hangry" and the idiots that use it....I am angry that you assume I'm hungry, other than that your an idiot in my world.:yawn:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta

Guuuuuuurl! It's totally Pass-ta! That's how we pronounce it in England :wink:

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

It just ain't right. :sad:

My sensibilities only extend so far as what is proper to General American spoken English. I support your right to defend proper pronunciation in your own dialect!

The English language is pretty much just a mush of languages pinched from everywhere else, often pronounced differently to the original. For example, 'herb' is a French word and the 'h' is silent, but most British people sound the 'h', so I'm not really convinced we can ever say there is a 'proper' pronunciation.

While it is true that there are different pronunciations across national dialects and that those pronunciations are correct in their respective places, the only correct pronunciation of the word herb in American English is -erb. The H is silent.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    OMG people... The word is "for" not "fir." Stop the madness!
  • kerricam45
    kerricam45 Posts: 2
    Options
    I get skeeved out when people say mature like manure.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    This is the English language, which is a conglomerate of hundreds of dialects and a great number of words from many other languages, so pronounciation could be anything...and they're mostly all correct. For instance, the word balcony was pronounced bal-Cony (emphasis on the second syllable) up until the late 1800's. The word Ask, was originally pronounced Axed throughout the middle ages (so is technically correct).

So, you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to, so what...We've got bigger issues to deal with these days !

The correct pronunciation is toe-may-toe, all others are incorrect. This ruling is final and binding on all peoples in all nations.

Negatory! I farkin love my TO MAH TOES MATE

While it is true that there are different pronunciations across national dialects and that those pronunciations are correct in their respective places, the only correct pronunciation of the word tomato in American English is toe-may-toe.
  • crenner07
    crenner07 Posts: 36
    Options
    And milk, not melk.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    I have recently started working with a few people who say good mornTING...when did they put a T in morning? WTF?! I swear I want to smack them every time they say it. It's more than one person. It's like a stupid epidemic.

tumblr_m7hfvzuYcc1qc6dvxo1_500.gif

^ Pretty much when this came out.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What about Am-blEE-ance instead of ambulance
  • emtjmac
    Options
    I get skeeved out when people say mature like manure.

I enjoy the word skeeved.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    That freaking made up word "hangry" and the idiots that use it....I am angry that you assume I'm hungry, other than that your an idiot in my world.:yawn:

Notice that no one else in this thread is actually calling people names for using a particular word. Perhaps you should follow suit.

But what do I know, maybe I'm just HANGRY.
  • emtjmac
    Options

Notice that no one else in this thread is actually calling people names for using a particular word. Perhaps you should follow suit.

But what do I know, maybe I'm just HANGRY.

Whoa! Hey now, let's take a time out and feel the love.

Ok, times up, back to being offended!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta

Guuuuuuurl! It's totally Pass-ta! That's how we pronounce it in England :wink:

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

It just ain't right. :sad:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, just hold up a minute there!!! I say or-a-gah-no!! There is no rag in there! :wink:
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    What about Am-blEE-ance instead of ambulance

"Am-ba-lance."
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    How about wash vs. warsh...there is no "r" in wash. Drives me nuts and makes me cringe every time I hear it!