I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've always thought Americans pronounce things weird. Especially 'jagwire' for jaguar and 'alumium' for aluminium. The pronunciation doesn't even go with the spelling? Y'all are crazy over there!
  • AspiringPinkPinUp
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.

OMG!! I live in Maine (20 mins from Bangor actually), I couldn't agree more! this annoys me SO much!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    What pisses me off is the phonetics doesn't start with an "F".
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ummm, hearing the word "penalized" pronounced"pee-nal-ized" sounds kinda dirty to me. Does that count?

Yes! Yes it does! Thank you for sharing this!

How about "PEE-anist." Come on people! It's "p'YAN-ist."

And of course, there's penis.
  • MoosieMooMama
    Options
    Who cares how people pronounce things? There are more important things to think about...like stuff in your own life. >.<

This.

at the end of the day if this sort of thing causes you so much stress (or any second of stress at all) it is YOUR OWN life that needs to be re-evaluated, not the lives of your so called "offenders"
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    How about effect and affect..?

I know, I know, it's more of a grammar thing but I am very bothered when they are used incorrectly.

Also, the when people call Puerto Rico "Porto Rico" (correctly pronounced "pwer-to ri-co").
    It's not a rich port-o-potty, it's a commonwealth.

/rant.

I totally say Porto Rico because I get made fun of by my fiance's Porto Rican part of the family for saying Pwerto Rico. They say I'm too white to say it like that D:

You are pronouncing it correctly. Feel free to print this out and show them that someone of my intellectual standing has ruled in your favor. No charge!
  • MoosieMooMama
    Options
    and let me add that belittling people is so much more fun and makes you feel grander?

effin GAG!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Who cares how people pronounce things? There are more important things to think about...like stuff in your own life. >.<

This.

at the end of the day if this sort of thing causes you so much stress (or any second of stress at all) it is YOUR OWN life that needs to be re-evaluated, not the lives of your so called "offenders"

I don't think anyone is getting overly stressed. It's just a pet hate thing, I'm sure you have some too.
  • ElliMae0u812
    Options
    I am more interested in losing weight. Who cares how people pronouce words. All parts of the country pronouce words differently. To each his own. Live and let live. :flowerforyou:
  • diamondcricket
    diamondcricket Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

what if they were talking specifically about the Pacific Ocean? lol

Mind: blown.

LMAO My mind is also blown!:laugh:
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    proberbly instead of probably - I cringe and feel like someone is clawing their nails down a chalkboard every time I see it.

Suposebly - same feeling.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    and let me add that belittling people is so much more fun and makes you feel grander?

effin GAG!

Look, before you get too far into this line of thought, I think you should evaluate the rest of my responses and then reconsider how you interpret my intentions here.
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    I really enjoy when people say "specially" in lieu of "especially".

It makes ordinary things feel far more special.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Does this mean my name pisses you off? (Excuse my language.)

Spelled Destoni, pronounced Destiny. (=
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Can we add the fact that when you say to an MFP friend that they are doing a great job, it is spelled "You're"????

That's what spikes my righteous indignation.... can we please pass 3rd grade grammar?

And yes, the phonetic spelling thing drives me crazy too. :-)
  • Rosytakesoff
    Rosytakesoff Posts: 321
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.

Good to know. I live near the other Bangor-the submarine base--and it is pronounced banger.
    My peeve is 'irregardless'.
  • Genzoids
    Genzoids Posts: 2
    Options
    UGH, Conversate!
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    When people pronounce "chimney" CHIM-LEE. Drives me nuts for some reason.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I hate when people say LIBARY instead of LIBRARY. Are you going to the LIBARY to get your learnin' on?

fakelibarycardforguild.jpg
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    All words are creations of humans used for the purpose of communication with other humans. If a human uses a word and it communicates as expected who is to say it's proper or not. Given enough time and popularity this made up word will enter the lexicon of human speech.

Most of this is silly and pedantic but on a serious note why did the definition of INFLATION change in 1971 from being the quantity of money supply in circulation to an increase in overall prices? This question deserves serious thought from anyone whom expects to exchange paper money for food, fuel, rent or anything.