I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta

The British do the same thing and it is equally abhorrent.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Guuuuuuurl! It's totally Pass-ta! That's how we pronounce it in England :wink:

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

It just ain't right. :sad:
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    When people pronounce "chimney" CHIM-LEE. Drives me nuts for some reason.

Your observation reminded me of Chumlee from that Pawn Stars show. That guy cracks me up.

I love Chumlee. I'd probably fangirl if I ever saw him in person.
    (I had to chuckle to myself for a moment, the Swype function on my phone replaced person with prison. That would have made for a far more interesting post)

Auto-correct is the devil.
    I know, right. I once sent a text to my mom telling her that my toddler broke my "vagina watch" instead of "vintage watch".
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    "I could OF said it... "

No. You idiots. I "could've" said it.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Who's and whose. As in, "Whose freakin' cat is that?".
  • emtjmac
    Options

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

My sensibilities only extend so far as what is proper to General American spoken English. I support your right to defend proper pronunciation in your own dialect!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Rosytakesoff Posts: 321
    Options
    I will add another annoyance: people who live in an area for years and still mispronounce place names, despite multiple corrections by natives. I give you Puyallup. Pronounced PYOO-allup.
    Also, those who sprinkle Latin phrases into conversation and mispronounce them or do not know the meaning.
    Eta: Oregon is not O-re-gone. It is OR-e-gun.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.

Used to get upset with this too, but now conversate is officially a word and is in the new dictionaries. Go figure.
  • emtjmac
    Options

Your observation reminded me of Chumlee from that Pawn Stars show. That guy cracks me up.

LOL this is full of win.
    (I had to chuckle to myself for a moment, the Swype function on my phone replaced person with prison. That would have made for a far more interesting post)

I know, right. I once sent a text to my mom telling her that my toddler broke my "vagina watch" instead of "vintage watch".
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I will "prolly" lose weight

Say it after me "PROBABLY"....
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Irregardless definately cheezes me off alot. Its enuf two make me loose my tempur.
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I can tell you that my SIL's brother works for WEBBER and that is how they pronounce it. What gets me is the commercial about the drug that cautions the people taking it and the elderly.............................. Who takes the elderly? lol
  • emtjmac
    Options

LOL, this is full of win.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You: "George Warshington"

Me: gil-head-explode-again.gif
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I have recently started working with a few people who say good mornTING...when did they put a T in morning? WTF?! I swear I want to smack them every time they say it. It's more than one person. It's like a stupid epidemic.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

When my son was younger, he had trouble saying "cockroach". It came out sort of like "crotch rot". He felt the need to say it often in public.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    I can tell you that my SIL's brother works for WEBBER and that is how they pronounce it. What gets me is the commercial about the drug that cautions the people taking it and the elderly.............................. Who takes the elderly? lol

How they pronounce it is irrelevant to whether or not they are pronouncing the word correctly in an objective sense. If you presented that word to a well-spoken person who speaks in a general American dialect and asked them how to pronounce it, they would tell you that it is pronounced WEE-BUR.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

My sensibilities only extend so far as what is proper to General American spoken English. I support your right to defend proper pronunciation in your own dialect!

The English language is pretty much just a mush of languages pinched from everywhere else, often pronounced differently to the original. For example, 'herb' is a French word and the 'h' is silent, but most British people sound the 'h', so I'm not really convinced we can ever say there is a 'proper' pronunciation.
  • emtjmac
    Options

When my son was younger, he had trouble saying "cockroach". It came out sort of like "crotch rot". He felt the need to say it often in public.

LOL! Again, our children are immune to criticism as regards these proceedings on the grounds that they are cute as hell.