Low Carb Vs .Low Glycemic Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You got diet advice from a chiropractor?

Yes I did. My family doctor at that time was wanting me to get weight loss surgery and I didn't want the surgery. So I asked my chiropractor how to lose weight,
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    SashaJaneJ wrote: »
    Did he say WHY he wants you on a low GI diet? I mean, losing 162 lbs is a hell of an accomplishment so you'd think he'd say "carry on!". If you are happy with what you are eating, then I'd say keep going.

That said, neither low carb nor low GI are strictly required for weight loss. A calorie deficit is. He might be worried about continued compliance with the low carb diet, as it can be quite restricting. Maybe he thinks you'd do better gradually re-introducing some carbs?

I really don't know why he wants me to do the low glycemic diet. He never explained why.
    Why did he want you low carb?

I am a diabetic and on insulin.

Low GI diet is the next evolution. Stick to low carb, but then when eating veggies and fruits, you just need to adjust what kinds. This is a great way to further control your blood sugars. I would think of it as an additional variable in your diet, not a different diet. As a diabetic, you should learn about Glycemic Index as well as Glycemic Load. Educate yourself on your foods, and you should still be able to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Did he say WHY he wants you on a low GI diet? I mean, losing 162 lbs is a hell of an accomplishment so you'd think he'd say "carry on!". If you are happy with what you are eating, then I'd say keep going.

That said, neither low carb nor low GI are strictly required for weight loss. A calorie deficit is. He might be worried about continued compliance with the low carb diet, as it can be quite restricting. Maybe he thinks you'd do better gradually re-introducing some carbs?

I really don't know why he wants me to do the low glycemic diet. He never explained why.
    Why did he want you low carb?

I am a diabetic and on insulin.

Low GI diet is the next evolution. Stick to low carb, but then when eating veggies and fruits, you just need to adjust what kinds. This is a great way to further control your blood sugars. I would think of it as an additional variable in your diet, not a different diet. As a diabetic, you should learn about Glycemic Index as well as Glycemic Load. Educate yourself on your foods, and you should still be able to lose weight.
    (sometimes called glycemic impact, depending on where you are). And learn about what can BLUNT that impact. i.e.: why bread with peanut butter is better (in terms of impact) than just bread etc.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    You could even ask your doctor for an appointment with a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes. Many diabetics do find low carb diets can help regulate their blood sugar, although some find they can eat moderate amounts of low glycemic index ones. [Obviously, you know to avoid lots of added sugar and the like!] It will really depend on you and what your meter says.

Diet is a critical aspect (along with exercise and weight loss and medicine) in keeping diabetes under control and your Doctor (NOT your chiropracter!) should take the time to educate you on this, or refer you to someone who can.

NOTE: Glycemic Index of foods really doesn't relate very well to "real life" - it just looks at an individual item in isolation. How often does one simply eat one item of food without anything else? Glycemic Load is a better scale as it looks at combinations, but it isn't perfect. Use your glucometer to find how the meals you actually eat affect you personally.

^^ This the meter helps to see how your body is reacting to the foods on a daily basis.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    You may wish to do some research, going from low carb to slow carb is not straight forward and needs to be approached methodically, low carb diets can result in reduced insulin sensitivity. Carb load is a factor as mentioned by other posters . I would introduce the carbs in moderation preferably in a 40 min window either pre or post training