Should I be scared of the carbs and sugar in fruits?

Options
Hello everyone,

This is my second attempt at MFP as I failed at logging for two months. Anyway my question is I see lots of carbs and sugars in the fruits that I eat in a day. I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines in a day as snacks. Can they affect my weight loss? Should I decrease the number of fruits that I eat?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NO

be scared of zombies and mad axe murderers

far more sensible
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No, you're doing just fine. It's the carbs and sugar in chocolate that you should be scared of o:)
  • ceren23
    ceren23 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @dxc92 Thanks! :smiley:
    @rabbitjb what about serial killers and shiny vampires?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right Ceren - how remiss of me

- those shiny vampires are just the worst - so many reasons to be afraid of them .. it's just not right! I tried to tell my 10 year old that but she doesn't seem to care. And the worst thing about it is I kind of enjoyed it more than she did :diesofshame:
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No, they're good for you. I had a nutritionist tell me to try to balance them with some protein but that's easier said then done and upped my caloric intake way too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    NO

far more sensible

this...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No, they're good for you. I had a nutritionist tell me to try to balance them with some protein but that's easier said then done and upped my caloric intake way too much.

It's also a myth, and who eats meat with fruit FFS.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating too much fructose (the quantities usually only possible with processed foods made from corn syrup), or the level of carbs in your daily diet are affecting your adherence to your calorie deficit, I probably wouldn't worry too much about either.

There are many ways to lose weight, and while reducing added sugar and carbs can be helpful tools to do so (they were for me, for example), there are many other ways to lose weight, so just find what suits you best and works for you :smile:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

It's also a myth, and who eats meat with fruit FFS.

You've clearly never encountered Thai cuisine then :wink:

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil, the fruit sugar gives you energy. I do try to balance sugars with proteins (cheese, peanut butter, nuts) but I have blood sugar issues
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    NO

far more sensible
    I love fruit...and fear Zombies because of how much sugar they have...

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In for zombies!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Probably. They come out of the fruit at night and murder people in their beds. True story.
  • in_lieu_of
    in_lieu_of Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I LOVE apple and cheese. Salty/sweet yumminess for a quick snack.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Only if it keeps you from hitting adequate fat and protein intake, otherwise, have at it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    NO, carbs and sugar DO NOT make you gain weight ..the only thing that makes you gain weight is over eating < this assumes no underlying medical condition. You can eat carbs and sugar and lose weight. Be afraid of Ebola, not carbs and sugar….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Unless you're eating too much fructose (the quantities usually only possible with processed foods made from corn syrup), or the level of carbs in your daily diet are affecting your adherence to your calorie deficit, I probably wouldn't worry too much about either.

There are many ways to lose weight, and while reducing added sugar and carbs can be helpful tools to do so (they were for me, for example), there are many other ways to lose weight, so just find what suits you best and works for you :smile:

ahhh yess, the dreaded "added' sugars..as if one form of sugar is superior to another ….*face palm*
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    ceren23 wrote: »
    I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines

These look like much better choices when you look at the small amount of sugar per ounce. You're getting a satisfying amount of food.

A tangerine weighs about 4 oz. and has 10 grams of sugar, 2.5 grams per oz.

10 grams of sugar of milk chocolate is about 10 chips (the kind of chips found in cookies). Four ounces of this treat is 10 times the calories of the tangerine.

So, fear not! You're now informed!

• ndj1979
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    ceren23 wrote: »
    I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines

These look like much better choices when you look at the small amount of sugar per ounce. You're getting a satisfying amount of food.

A tangerine weighs about 4 oz. and has 10 grams of sugar, 2.5 grams per oz.

10 grams of sugar of milk chocolate is about 10 chips (the kind of chips found in cookies). Four ounces of this treat is 10 times the calories of the tangerine.

So, fear not! You're now informed!

so tangerine sugar is better than chocolate milk sugar, really?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Do you have diabetes, insulin resistance or other blood sugar related issues? If not, don't worry about it. Please enjoy your fruit