Should I be scared of the carbs and sugar in fruits?

Options

Replies

• VaikeVihm
    Options
    Nah. Everything in moderation, as they say. I think having a couple pieces of pineapple is a hell of a lot better than a snickers bar! Eat your fruit, it's good for you :)
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    you can always add protein in the form of plain greek yogurt with your fruit. My fav is 1/4 c crushed pineapple, half a banana and 1/2 c yogurt. so yummy and the protein helps it fill you up.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that is overweight because they ate too many apples, tangerines or bananas.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely. The main sugar in fruit is fructose, which is the same sugar as high fructose cornsyrup. Fruit actualy contains MORE fructose than high fructose corn syrup. It has been well-documented that fructose causes: diabetes, metabolic syndrome, damage tot he immune system, imflammation, and a host of other problems.

Dr. LOLstig, I presume?

I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

So HFCS is healthy?

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    maryv83 wrote: »
    I would probably limit the fruit to 2 servings per day (as per the recommended amount) (3 servings of veggies per day), but eat the fruit. It has been proven to reduce risk for stroke, kidney stones, other cardiovascular diseases and type-2 diabetes. Also, the amount of Vitamin C and A that you'll get from the fruit will help prevent sickness. It's nature's candy!

Recommended by who?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    funchords wrote: »
    ceren23 wrote: »
    I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines

These look like much better choices when you look at the small amount of sugar per ounce. You're getting a satisfying amount of food.

A tangerine weighs about 4 oz. and has 10 grams of sugar, 2.5 grams per oz.

10 grams of sugar of milk chocolate is about 10 chips (the kind of chips found in cookies). Four ounces of this treat is 10 times the calories of the tangerine.

So, fear not! You're now informed!

so tangerine sugar is better than chocolate milk sugar, really?

No I think the poster was saying that you'll eat less sugar by eating a tangerine than if you had the typical cookie instead so if you're concerned about sugars, the tangerine is the better choice because you get more bang for your buck in terms of food volume.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No, they're good for you. I had a nutritionist tell me to try to balance them with some protein but that's easier said then done and upped my caloric intake way too much.

It's also a myth, and who eats meat with fruit FFS.

I did the other night. Pork loin with apples and leeks in a red wine sauce. As far as protein and fruit, apples and cheese or peanut butter are a nice snack. Or strawberries and cheese, or almost any fruit and yogurt.

But to the OP, if you're staying within your calorie count, hell yeah, enjoy some fruit now and then. I find that if I am not eating baked goods often or using artificial sweeteners, fruit gets amazingly sweet to the taste and becomes a happy part of my diet.

If you are VERY sensitive to sugar, yeah, you might find you stay sated longer if you combine the fruit with some fat or protein, but if you're not insanely carb sensitive, that's probably not a huge issue. (I eat cheese with apples because I LIKE it more than some magic food combination crap)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely. The main sugar in fruit is fructose, which is the same sugar as high fructose cornsyrup. Fruit actualy contains MORE fructose than high fructose corn syrup. It has been well-documented that fructose causes: diabetes, metabolic syndrome, damage tot he immune system, imflammation, and a host of other problems.
    no

hell no!
  • sseqwnp
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just NO!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]

You are the one making outlandish statements. Citations are on you.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]

you're the one making the claim. Burden of proof is on you, boo-boo.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    dxc92 wrote: »
    No, you're doing just fine. It's the carbs and sugar in chocolate that you should be scared of o:)

• sseqwnp
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]

So your arguing that HFCS is healthy, pumpkin?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]

No sugar britches, stop with the men of straw and give us your citations on your claim, butter nuts.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    no

hell no!

[citation needed]

Because the only two options are "healthy" or causes diabetes, metabolic syndrome, damage tot he immune system, imflammation, and a host of other problems. There is no middle ground.

:insertsarcasm:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I find your assertion lacking in merit. Perhaps you'd care to cite your source?
  • kookooman333
    kookooman333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    calories are calories. better to get them eating healthy natural things like fruits and veggies instead of processed grains, sugars, etc. no particular food group needs to be avoided except "crap."
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Dr. LOLstig, I presume?

I'm just gonna leave this here:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

So HFCS is healthy?

If by healthy, you mean "not harmful in moderate doses", then yes.

Perhaps you should try reading the attached article before spouting off any more nonsense.