Should I be scared of the carbs and sugar in fruits?

Options
124»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely. The main sugar in fruit is fructose, which is the same sugar as high fructose cornsyrup. Fruit actualy contains MORE fructose than high fructose corn syrup. It has been well-documented that fructose causes: diabetes, metabolic syndrome, damage tot he immune system, imflammation, and a host of other problems.
    Still waiting for citations on the bolded part.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ceren23 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

This is my second attempt at MFP as I failed at logging for two months. Anyway my question is I see lots of carbs and sugars in the fruits that I eat in a day. I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines in a day as snacks. Can they affect my weight loss? Should I decrease the number of fruits that I eat?

Absolutely not. Eating more calories than we burn is what affects weight loss.

Moderation is the key. :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Be scared of a caloric surplus and MFP's protein guidelines. Good luck!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ceren23 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

This is my second attempt at MFP as I failed at logging for two months. Anyway my question is I see lots of carbs and sugars in the fruits that I eat in a day. I usually eat an apple, a pear and two tangerines in a day as snacks. Can they affect my weight loss? Should I decrease the number of fruits that I eat?

You should focus on actually logging your food for now, do that for 6 months then start looking into your macros.

6 months? If her macros are seriously out of whack, that is something she would want to bring to light immediately and modify her diet as quickly as possible.
  • ceren23
    ceren23 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    At this point i am just glad that this post is a place where you can show your sarcasm skills.
    Thanks to everyone else :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    calories are calories. better to get them eating healthy natural things like fruits and veggies instead of processed grains, sugars, etc. no particular food group needs to be avoided except "crap."

LOL explain to me how fruit sugar is better than the sugar in dark chocolate...???????????
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    calories are calories. better to get them eating healthy natural things like fruits and veggies instead of processed grains, sugars, etc. no particular food group needs to be avoided except "crap."

LOL explain to me how fruit sugar is better than the sugar in dark chocolate...???????????

Obviously the sugar is dark chocolate is better because dark chocolate, duh.......
    /endsarcasm
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No, they're good for you. I had a nutritionist tell me to try to balance them with some protein but that's easier said then done and upped my caloric intake way too much.

It's also a myth, and who eats meat with fruit FFS.

Who said you could only get protein in meat? I was thinking peanut butter with the apples and pears! You could actually do any nut butter!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No, they're good for you. I had a nutritionist tell me to try to balance them with some protein but that's easier said then done and upped my caloric intake way too much.

Who said you could only get protein in meat? I was thinking peanut butter with the apples and pears! You could actually do any nut butter!
    Peanut butter has a pretty crappy protein to calorie ratio.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1123553/should-i-stop-eating-fruit
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

Mmmmmmmmmmm. "Nut butter."

lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Really??? I do all the time. Fruit with meat is amazing.. you are missing out. Hellloo pork chops with apples, turkey with cranberry, melon wrapped in prosciutto, figs with ANYTHING...Nom I'll show you how it's done

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Really??? I do all the time. Fruit with meat is amazing.. you are missing out. Hellloo pork chops with apples, turkey with cranberry, melon wrapped in prosciutto, figs with ANYTHING...Nom I'll show you how it's done
    I agree. I had turkey slices with grapes and cottage cheese. Twas the bomb.

• ndj1979
    Options
    TX_Rhon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Obviously the sugar is dark chocolate is better because dark chocolate, duh.......
    /endsarcasm

let me guess..anti oxidants nullify the "bad" sugar...
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. You would have to be eating a lot more than that to make it a problem. Nutritionists are still recommending fruit with each meal and/or as snacks throughout the day. A small apple has only 35 calories, 47 in a tangerine and 102 in a pear. All of these put together is still less than the 210 in a Kit Kat bar. Eat your fruit without guilt.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    celestlyn wrote: »
    Absolutely not. You would have to be eating a lot more than that to make it a problem. Nutritionists are still recommending fruit with each meal and/or as snacks throughout the day. A small apple has only 35 calories, 47 in a tangerine and 102 in a pear. All of these put together is still less than the 210 in a Kit Kat bar. Eat your fruit without guilt.
    or just eat the kit kat bar..either way you will be fine..