Gaining Muscle while still 'fat'?

Options
I know the whole concept "Muscle weights more than fat - its not about the number on the scale, its about how your clothes fit"

BUT -- I find it hard to believe that at my weight 155+ with plenty of fat to lose, that I have gone up several pounds of muscle since my weight lifting regimen started 8 weeks ago but have lost NO weight/NO inches - but my clothes still fit the same..... HELP!

Please tell me I am not crazy!! AHH!!

Replies

• WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Hello

Muscle does not weigh more then fat... A pound of muscle is still a pound ;) - its in its density that it counts. SO 3 pound of muscle could amount to the same space as 1 pound of fat.

YOu cannot gain muscle on a deficit, So when lifting weights and losing weight at the same time you are trying to keep muscle "mass" - I can tell you now if you have been dieting you have not gained ANY muscle, more likely kept it.

Weight lifting to lose weight is good, because of the HIIT aspect, but you cannot GAIN to LOSE.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Its like saying 1 pound of concrete is heavier then a pound of feathers.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    So000o0o0o that would mean that I am either not being honest with myself and not eating at a deficit and therefore gaining muscle mass (because I definately see a change in my arms and back) o0o0o0o0o0orrrr I have kidding myself and am just gaining over all weight.. :(
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    YOu cannot gain muscle on a deficit,

She can if she has never lifted weights before (newbie gains) and or has a significant amount of weight to lose. Other then those 2 rare cases I agree with you...

OP, is this your first time lifting? How much weight do you have to lose?

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat by volome...
    I put it this way...
    One gallon of muscle weighs more than one gallon of fat....just like one gallon of concrete weighs more than one gallon of feathers...
    B)

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have gone up several pounds of muscle since my weight lifting regimen started 8 weeks ago
    That's not all muscle. If you do everything right you might put on 1lb of muscle/month. Gaining some fat along with muscle is normal. This is why bodybuilders do a bulk cycle and then a cut cycle. They are cutting the fat that was added along with the muscle.

Also, when you first start lifting your body will store water to repair the muscles and replenish your glycogen stores. It's not fat or muscle, but it will make the scale move up. Just keep going and re-evaluate after another 8 weeks. Adjust your diet if needed. You want to eat a a surplus, but if the surplus is too big the fat gains will be greater.

• VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses.

I have 30 pounds+ left to lose and this is the first time I have done a program for lifting weights. So over the course of eight weeks I have been upping my amount of lifting.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Another thing that happens when you lift is that the muscles will retain more fluid. This will add weight. Many people link that to gaining actual muscle but its just fluid.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat by volome...
    I put it this way...
    One gallon of muscle weighs more than one gallon of fat....just like one gallon of concrete weighs more than one gallon of feathers...
    B)

I did kinda explain this, but you sure cleared it up ;) ....

J72FIT wrote: »
    YOu cannot gain muscle on a deficit,

She can if she has never lifted weights before (newbie gains) and or has a significant amount of weight to lose. Other then those 2 rare cases I agree with you...

OP, is this your first time lifting? How much weight do you have to lose?

Yeah, I never think its fair to say noobie gains count!!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to lose more fat? Add more cardio to go along with the strength training.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • aaroncottingham3
    Options
    Wolver- not being able to gain muscle on a deficit is completely false.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never think its fair to say noobie gains count!!

They do. Making a statement like that derides the effort newbies are putting in. Well done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, WTG on your loss, awesome. Second with the exception of newbie gains, its very difficult for a woman to gain muscle and not possible while in a deficit. Third, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat, its denser than fat therefore a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat. THEY WEIGH THE SAME. Finally, if you just began an exercise program, you're likely retaining water, which is normal as the muscle repairs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add to this, except holy crap-you look great.
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you still have 30+ lbs to lose and you are new to strengh training then you will build muscle even if at a deficit. Enjoy this as it will become much harder to gain any muscle when you reach a good body comp.

Having said that, even if you are building muscle you should still lose weight if doing this properly. It should be more of a body recomp type of idea then building more muscle than losing fat therefore weighing more. If that makes sense.

If eating at a deficit, even when strenght training and gaining muscle you should see those numbers drop. You need to do some adjustments, probably eat less or be more accurate on your counting and measuring.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOL why do people think it is so easy to put on muscle???????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Look at it this way…you need to eat in a calorie surplus (energy) to build muscle, and you need to be in be in a calorie deficit (negative energy) to lose body fat….

how is it possible to do add muscle (need more energy) and lose body fat (need less energy) at the same time, when they are directly opposed to one another.

That is like saying you can fill up your gas tank and empty it at the same time ….or that you can build a house and tear it down at the same time...
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't have much to add to this, except holy crap-you look great.

HAhaha thanks!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    Love all the reply's!!

I think I havent been honest with what Im eating lately. So I believe thats why I saw the gain (whether it be muscle or fat).

Still looking to lose those last 30ish pounds so Im keeping with my cardio and strength and watching more closely what I am eating! Lets see how this goes =)