Still paleo

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    Sorry about everything happening in your life, but I'm happy to hear your staying on task with Paleo - kudos! I think you hit the nail on the head -- folks stress too much about what they can't have and don't appreciate all that they can have.

I'm not perfect on Paleo, but I do try very hard. Have you seen the cookbook Against All Grain? I love it! I do find Paleo style eating is more time consuming on the prep, but I think its' worth it. I struggle for breakfast options but I enjoy a salad or soup both with protein for lunch with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a protein and 2 veggies for dinner. I don't really like veggies, but I'm coming to enjoy roasted veggies. I'd love to find new ways to eat them. I've decreased processed foods and grains for my kids too, but I haven't removed them completely. At dinner they have a protein and 2 veggies too.....I figure they've eaten enough grains during the day that they can enjoy a simple dinner at night. My 8 yr old will ask "mom, what is our rice tonight?" I say "none tonight, just our 2 veggies." He's fine with it, he just checks in. :)

But really, I'm fine without eating bread or grains at night. I'm not a big cereal fan because it doesn't fill me up. I drink a glass of milk when i really crave it, which is like once a week. I concentrate on clean eating, healthy eating and it includes fruits/veggies, protein, fats.

Heading to the butchers for our 1/2 grass fed cow. I agree - once you eat grass fed, you can't go back!

Love your positive post. Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've noticed the typical "Ya but nay sayer comments", but I'm going to just ignore them. I never said I was perfectly Paleo, just trying to adhere to a strict Paleo diet. Don't be misguided by some of my diary entries. I'm not much into tracking these days, just calorie wise sometimes so I'll pick whatever has the same amount of calories only. I don't care about the other stuff.

Anyway, good for you for sticking with it as well! It really is a life changer to be sure. I used to stress about my calorie range and macros and micros and when to eat and when to not eat and all that and as it turns out, if you're eating right, none of that matters :smile:

My breakfast... oh my, I have come up with some creative ideas! It almost always includes eggs and veggies and some kind of meat e.g., bacon, chicken, steak, or fish and sometimes a little of everything haha! I've gotten a lot of great recipes from Paleogrubs and nomnom Paleo, you should check it out. My favorite is to just roast a bunch of veggies in coconut oil the night before and chop up some hard boiled eggs, add meat, the veggies, some avocado. Makes for a yummy breakfast bowl and can be eaten hot or cold! One of my favorite go too snacks is roasted asparagus wrapped with bacon. Quick and easy!

I have not seen that cookbook but will look it up, thanks for the tip!

One of the things that amazes me the most is the taste of real food. I swear, even a simple piece of lettuce is the most delicious thing I've ever had. I find myself saying "Wow... this is what REAL food tastes like"!

I try to stick to single ingredient foods or foods that have minimal ingredients that I understand.

Are you kidding me right now with the lettuce? In what universe does a diet make a thing taste different than what it always tasted like? What the whaaaaaaaa?

I mean you swore, so I guess I have to take you at your word but COME ON! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get a GRIP on yourself!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/
    My favorite quote:
    "I’ve recently made the point that traditional Mediterranean populations have intakes that violate every food restriction rule of the Paleo diet, but they’re busy being too healthy to give a damn."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    http://paleomovement.com/alan-aragon-paleo-critic/
    My favorite quote:
    "I’ve recently made the point that traditional Mediterranean populations have intakes that violate every food restriction rule of the Paleo diet, but they’re busy being too healthy to give a damn."

That is funny, and a very good point. B)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    svpracer wrote: »
    converted to paleo from catholisism.
    Oh that's hilarious. Good on ya!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

First of all I'm not dissing your diet. I am truly glad that you are eating healthier and have found a diet that you can stick with.

I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.

There is no such thing as unprocessed bacon, and certainly not unprocessed turkey bacon. Number of ingredients does not determine whether something is processed.

Kudos to you for eating more whole natural foods. But, I honestly do not understand why so many people on this site praise the paleo diet when they don't seem able stick to it's overly restrictive rules.

What? How can this be? What is processed about bacon? Usually, it's maybe smoked after it's been sliced from the pig's belly, but I wouldn't call that processed. Is the cutting part the processing?

WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    People are so rude and afraid of what they don't understand. I love how some folks can sum me up based upon some comments and half *kitten*'d food logging via a social media forum.

A healthy life style/nutrition plan doesn't happen overnight. It's a work in progress so many of the comments whining about people on paleo but not following paleo to a T... just need to relax. Slow and steady and process of elimination is usually the best course of action.

One other comment that stuck out like a childish sore thumb, do I want a medal or cookie for mentioning that someone told me I'd fail on Paleo and I haven't? Hell yes I do. It's an accomplishment why the hell shouldn't I toot my own horn?

Mean and nasty has no room in my life. Intelligent and kind ADULTS are happy for one another’s accomplishments no matter how small. Decent people are encouraging and positive to one another. Grownups that are genuine lift each other up... not tear each other down. At the end of the day a bad attitude and cynicism will serve to make you lonely and miserable in this life. For those who left intelligent comments, questions, disagreements without being total *kitten* for the sake of a nice conversation, thank you. To all the others... shame on you.

This is supposed to be a supportive forum correct? Could have fooled me.

People aren't being rude just to be rude. If you start a thread about how fantastic any diet is for weight loss, people are naturally going to look at your food diary to see what you are doing. I actually think it's pretty irresponsible of you to post about how great Paleo is for losing weight when you haven't accurately logged and it looks like you are undereating. There are a lot of lurkers on these forums that might look to you as an example and try to follow a VLCD because they think that's what works.

Also, we can't read your mind. We can only use the facts that we have. The facts we have (before you explained) are that you are eating a VLCD. This is a very supportive community, but that does not mean people are going to blindly advocate a diet that appears dangerous (too few calories) or excludes certain foods arbitrarily.

Just remember, you are the one who put yourself out there.

Also, FYI, not everyone is here for weight loss.

• dbmata
    Options
    Processing involved with bacon:
    1. Slicing the hog's throat and bleeding it out.
    2. Cleaning and de-hairing the carcass.
    3. Breaking the carcass down into pieces (market cuts or primals)
    4. Prepping and trimming bellies
    5. Curing the bellies with flavorings and cure
    6. To smoke, or not to smoke (optional step)
    7. Slicing, packing, selling

So, with the bacon I make, there are 6 or 7 steps. I'm sure there are more processing steps from bacon you get at the market.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

First of all I'm not dissing your diet. I am truly glad that you are eating healthier and have found a diet that you can stick with.

I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.

There is no such thing as unprocessed bacon, and certainly not unprocessed turkey bacon. Number of ingredients does not determine whether something is processed.

Kudos to you for eating more whole natural foods. But, I honestly do not understand why so many people on this site praise the paleo diet when they don't seem able stick to it's overly restrictive rules.

What? How can this be? What is processed about bacon? Usually, it's maybe smoked after it's been sliced from the pig's belly, but I wouldn't call that processed. Is the cutting part the processing?

WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?

By definition, bacon is smoked, cured, pork belly. What would you call that other than processing?

And turkey bacon is turkey that has been pulverized to mush, seasoned to taste like smoked, cured pork belly, then mechanically formed into strips to look like it's been carved from a pork belly. It's even colored to mimic the meat and fat striping of pork belly. But surely that wouldn't count as processing, would it?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

So, with the bacon I make, there are 6 or 7 steps. I'm sure there are more processing steps from bacon you get at the market.

Are you joking? You think this is what people refer to when they say you shouldn't eat processed foods? That's assinine.

That's like saying a bell pepper is a processed food, because it took a process to get it to the supermarket and into your mouth...

1. Plant the seed
    2. Water it
    3. Eventually, harvest
    4. Get to grocery store
    5. Buy bell pepper
    6. Take home
    7. Wash
    8. Cut
    9. Eat

There you go, now bell peppers are just as processed as bacon...

ETA: Even if you don't like that comparison, you're still calling all dairy products processed... all whole grains... most grocery store produce.... I don't buy that definition of processed.

Here's one I do agree with, more or less:The definition of what constitutes a processed food can vary slightly, but it usually refers to foods that are packaged in boxes, cans or bags. These foods need to be processed extensively to be edible and are not found as is in nature. In addition to going through many complex processing steps, processed foods often contain additives, artificial flavorings and other chemical ingredients. Avoid processed foods and base your diet on whole food to get the most nutrition and maximize your health.

You can determine whether a food is processed by looking at the ingredient list. The longer the ingredient list, the more processed a food is likely to be. Processed foods are usually found in the center aisles of the grocery store and are more likely to contain ingredients that you are not able to recognize or ingredients that you wouldn't have in your kitchen. Avoid foods that you wouldn't be able to produce or make yourself at home. Stick to unprocessed, natural foods, mostly found on the periphery of the grocery store, such as vegetables, fruits, eggs, meat and other single-ingredient foods.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    "paleo is a logical framework applied to modern humans, not a historical reenactment"

/thread
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think you misunderstand the definition of processing. You should go look it up.

I'm sorry, I thought your question was in earnest, and not because you were eye to eye with your prostate, that is why I was kind enough to let you in on the secrets of bacon. Next time, don't ask questions that you are just going to caterwaul about when they get answered.

As for what people think when they say don't eat processed foods, what do you think they mean? Considering how little people actually know about what they stick in their craw, they probably have little understanding of the processes involved and would probably not have a sophisticated enough understanding to determine the difference between heavily and minimally processed foods, and what steps of processing can be beneficial or deleterious to their myriad beliefs, wonts, and desires.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Are you joking? You think this is what people refer to when they say you shouldn't eat processed foods? That's assinine.

That's like saying a bell pepper is a processed food, because it took a process to get it to the supermarket and into your mouth...

1. Plant the seed
    2. Water it
    3. Eventually, harvest
    4. Get to grocery store
    5. Buy bell pepper
    6. Take home
    7. Wash
    8. Cut
    9. Eat

There you go, now bell peppers are just as processed as bacon...

ETA: Even if you don't like that comparison, you're still calling all dairy products processed... all whole grains... most grocery store produce.... I don't buy that definition of processed.

Here's one I do agree with, more or less:The definition of what constitutes a processed food can vary slightly, but it usually refers to foods that are packaged in boxes, cans or bags. These foods need to be processed extensively to be edible and are not found as is in nature. In addition to going through many complex processing steps, processed foods often contain additives, artificial flavorings and other chemical ingredients. Avoid processed foods and base your diet on whole food to get the most nutrition and maximize your health.

You can determine whether a food is processed by looking at the ingredient list. The longer the ingredient list, the more processed a food is likely to be. Processed foods are usually found in the center aisles of the grocery store and are more likely to contain ingredients that you are not able to recognize or ingredients that you wouldn't have in your kitchen. Avoid foods that you wouldn't be able to produce or make yourself at home. Stick to unprocessed, natural foods, mostly found on the periphery of the grocery store, such as vegetables, fruits, eggs, meat and other single-ingredient foods.

So, is pasta a processed product?
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you go to the store, you find bacon in bags.

You also don't find bacon running wild on the plains of missouri. Lordy, that post got silly with the edit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?

By definition, bacon is smoked, cured, pork belly. What would you call that other than processing?

And turkey bacon is turkey that has been pulverized to mush, seasoned to taste like smoked, cured pork belly, then mechanically formed into strips to look like it's been carved from a pork belly. It's even colored to mimic the meat and fat striping of pork belly. But surely that wouldn't count as processing, would it?

Spot on- I don't eat vegetables either for the same reason- some dude with dirty hands takes them out of the ground, then the putting them in the tractor, driving them to the farm stand- so processed that what you buy doesn't even resemble how it existed in nature!

Exactly why I grow my own.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Too many rules!!! I don't like rules... Oh and I'm not rich enough to go Paleo... I am not paying $12 per pound for meat that isn't venison... or bison...
  • dbmata
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Too many rules!!! I don't like rules... Oh and I'm not rich enough to go Paleo... I am not paying $12 per pound for meat that isn't venison... or bison...

lol. I laugh derisively at anyone doing that. No need to spend that much. A beef quarter is easily had about $4 a pound, whole pigs can be had for as little as $2 a pound from small outfits. I got this year's lamb for a whopping $3.50 a pound after processing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If you find a local deer processor you can likely get venison for $2-$3 per lb. There are often people that drop deer off for processing, then don't have the money to pay for it so they never pick it up. Usually any meat not picked up in within the specified 1-2 days is sold to anyone willing to pay the processing fee. But then, of course, it's "processed" meat. ;)
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Paige682 wrote: »

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Just because you're lost in the woods doesn't mean your compass is broken :)

Ok. I wasn't even going to weigh in on the actual paleo thing. I was making a joke based of a previous thread that was ridiculous.

About the Paleo thing, I guess my question is...why even label yourself if you are 80/20? It seems silly. I'm sure my diet is probably 75/25 Paleo naturally, but I would never say I'm "Paleo" and I would never waste my money on "Paleo" products. I just happen to like meat and vegetables.

This is my thought and earlier point as well. Why not just say "I eat mostly whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods"? Why give credit to a made-up diet that you aren't even following?

Because it's cool to have labels.

harvard.edu

Mine is an MIT household.

Ohhh!!! So is ours!
  • bybyadipocytes
    bybyadipocytes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    People are so rude and afraid of what they don't understand. I love how some folks can sum me up based upon some comments and half *kitten*'d food logging via a social media forum.

A healthy life style/nutrition plan doesn't happen overnight. It's a work in progress so many of the comments whining about people on paleo but not following paleo to a T... just need to relax. Slow and steady and process of elimination is usually the best course of action.

One other comment that stuck out like a childish sore thumb, do I want a medal or cookie for mentioning that someone told me I'd fail on Paleo and I haven't? Hell yes I do. It's an accomplishment why the hell shouldn't I toot my own horn?

Mean and nasty has no room in my life. Intelligent and kind ADULTS are happy for one another’s accomplishments no matter how small. Decent people are encouraging and positive to one another. Grownups that are genuine lift each other up... not tear each other down. At the end of the day a bad attitude and cynicism will serve to make you lonely and miserable in this life. For those who left intelligent comments, questions, disagreements without being total *kitten* for the sake of a nice conversation, thank you. To all the others... shame on you.

This is supposed to be a supportive forum correct? Could have fooled me.

been thinking the same thing. I have 3 kids and a life so I have more half assed logging days than not, trying to fix that. It seems posting on these boards would inhibit me from actually losing. All these *kitten*, with a lot of time on their hands, trying to show others how smart and witty they are.
    Anyway glad you are feeling positive about something when you have a lot to be down on. Good luck.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

lol. I laugh derisively at anyone doing that. No need to spend that much. A beef quarter is easily had about $4 a pound, whole pigs can be had for as little as $2 a pound from small outfits. I got this year's lamb for a whopping $3.50 a pound after processing.

Around here that's what conventional meat costs per pound... If I want the special frufru free range, we treat them like they are living in a penthouse of a 5 star hotel type of meat that paleo and "clean eating" diets usually require it's at least twice the cost, sometimes more than that..

I ain't got the money for that... I'm not going to make dry *kitten* cookies with $4 per pound of almond flour either... again... "diets" such as paleo and 'clean eating' just cost too much and suck the fun right out of eating... that's not to say that I'm going to be stuffing my face with poptarts... but I'm not going to substitute my favorite foods for some joyless wannabe to satisfy the sancti-dieters...