Still paleo

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Too many rules!!! I don't like rules... Oh and I'm not rich enough to go Paleo... I am not paying $12 per pound for meat that isn't venison... or bison...

If you find a local deer processor you can likely get venison for $2-$3 per lb. There are often people that drop deer off for processing, then don't have the money to pay for it so they never pick it up. Usually any meat not picked up in within the specified 1-2 days is sold to anyone willing to pay the processing fee. But then, of course, it's "processed" meat. ;)

I don't mind me some processed food... ;) Processed food makes the world go 'round... otherwise we would all be sick with food poisoning.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Too many rules!!! I don't like rules... Oh and I'm not rich enough to go Paleo... I am not paying $12 per pound for meat that isn't venison... or bison...

lol. I laugh derisively at anyone doing that. No need to spend that much. A beef quarter is easily had about $4 a pound, whole pigs can be had for as little as $2 a pound from small outfits. I got this year's lamb for a whopping $3.50 a pound after processing.

Around here that's what conventional meat costs per pound... If I want the special frufru free range, we treat them like they are living in a penthouse of a 5 star hotel type of meat that paleo and "clean eating" diets usually require it's at least twice the cost, sometimes more than that..

I ain't got the money for that... I'm not going to make dry *kitten* cookies with $4 per pound of almond flour either... again... "diets" such as paleo and 'clean eating' just cost too much and suck the fun right out of eating... that's not to say that I'm going to be stuffing my face with poptarts... but I'm not going to substitute my favorite foods for some joyless wannabe to satisfy the sancti-dieters...
    What's interesting to me is that out here in the outer rim territories, conventional meat costs a good bit more than that, lamb starts at around 7-9, beef starts at 6, with ground at 4.

Chicken is really the only one not up there. Even duck starts at $10 a pound unless you buy them live. You go to a processor though, they will even hook you up with someone raising. We went the 4H route, and hit up the annual market stock auction. Money goes to the kids, animals have names and eat cookies. Everyone is happy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    People are so rude and afraid of what they don't understand. I love how some folks can sum me up based upon some comments and half *kitten*'d food logging via a social media forum.

A healthy life style/nutrition plan doesn't happen overnight. It's a work in progress so many of the comments whining about people on paleo but not following paleo to a T... just need to relax. Slow and steady and process of elimination is usually the best course of action.

One other comment that stuck out like a childish sore thumb, do I want a medal or cookie for mentioning that someone told me I'd fail on Paleo and I haven't? Hell yes I do. It's an accomplishment why the hell shouldn't I toot my own horn?

Mean and nasty has no room in my life. Intelligent and kind ADULTS are happy for one another’s accomplishments no matter how small. Decent people are encouraging and positive to one another. Grownups that are genuine lift each other up... not tear each other down. At the end of the day a bad attitude and cynicism will serve to make you lonely and miserable in this life. For those who left intelligent comments, questions, disagreements without being total *kitten* for the sake of a nice conversation, thank you. To all the others... shame on you.

This is supposed to be a supportive forum correct? Could have fooled me.

been thinking the same thing. I have 3 kids and a life so I have more half assed logging days than not, trying to fix that. It seems posting on these boards would inhibit me from actually losing. All these *kitten*, with a lot of time on their hands, trying to show others how smart and witty they are.
    Anyway glad you are feeling positive about something when you have a lot to be down on. Good luck.

So, let me ask you...

If you start a thread about how awesome your diet is, don't you think that people will want to check out your diary to see what you are eating? And, if they do check out your diary and your logging isn't right, then don't you think you are sending the wrong message?

• k8blujay2
    Options

lol. I laugh derisively at anyone doing that. No need to spend that much. A beef quarter is easily had about $4 a pound, whole pigs can be had for as little as $2 a pound from small outfits. I got this year's lamb for a whopping $3.50 a pound after processing.

Around here that's what conventional meat costs per pound... If I want the special frufru free range, we treat them like they are living in a penthouse of a 5 star hotel type of meat that paleo and "clean eating" diets usually require it's at least twice the cost, sometimes more than that..

I ain't got the money for that... I'm not going to make dry *kitten* cookies with $4 per pound of almond flour either... again... "diets" such as paleo and 'clean eating' just cost too much and suck the fun right out of eating... that's not to say that I'm going to be stuffing my face with poptarts... but I'm not going to substitute my favorite foods for some joyless wannabe to satisfy the sancti-dieters...
    What's interesting to me is that out here in the outer rim territories, conventional meat costs a good bit more than that, lamb starts at around 7-9, beef starts at 6, with ground at 4.

Chicken is really the only one not up there. Even duck starts at $10 a pound unless you buy them live. You go to a processor though, they will even hook you up with someone raising. We went the 4H route, and hit up the annual market stock auction. Money goes to the kids, animals have names and eat cookies. Everyone is happy.

Around here conventional 93/7 ground beef and most other cuts of beef costs around $4-5 a pound, chicken $2-3 a pound depending on where you get it... pork somewhere in between... duck and lamb, I don't know about as I don't usually shop for it and I don't recall seeing it... I'm sure if I went to the local butcher shops I could find it. But if you want the organic, free range type of meat the price at the very least doubles around here.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    digginDeep wrote: »
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

First of all I'm not dissing your diet. I am truly glad that you are eating healthier and have found a diet that you can stick with.

I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.

There is no such thing as unprocessed bacon, and certainly not unprocessed turkey bacon. Number of ingredients does not determine whether something is processed.

Kudos to you for eating more whole natural foods. But, I honestly do not understand why so many people on this site praise the paleo diet when they don't seem able stick to it's overly restrictive rules.

What? How can this be? What is processed about bacon? Usually, it's maybe smoked after it's been sliced from the pig's belly, but I wouldn't call that processed. Is the cutting part the processing?

WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?

By definition, bacon is smoked, cured, pork belly. What would you call that other than processing?

And turkey bacon is turkey that has been pulverized to mush, seasoned to taste like smoked, cured pork belly, then mechanically formed into strips to look like it's been carved from a pork belly. It's even colored to mimic the meat and fat striping of pork belly. But surely that wouldn't count as processing, would it?

Spot on- I don't eat vegetables either for the same reason- some dude with dirty hands takes them out of the ground, then the putting them in the tractor, driving them to the farm stand- so processed that what you buy doesn't even resemble how it existed in nature!

Exactly why I grow my own.

Nice. I forgot to include the 'driving them across the country and somehow they are still fresh 8 days later...' - I love my local farm stand, I meant to besmirch agri-business. Though I still don't eat as many as I should. Unless it goes into chili.

The food is not still fresh 8 days later. In most cases, it's ripe (not fresh) 8 days later because it was picked before it was ripe and allowed to ripen in transit. This is true of organic and non-organic produce. And, sometimes of produce found at a farmer's market. Not all farmer's market food is local. People truck food into farmer's markets from other states, too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That is cheap meat! Even the cheapest ground beef is over $3 a lb where I live. Local meat is outrageously expensive. Local free range turkeys are sold for more than $85 unprocessed. You still have to defeather and butcher it youself!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    People are so rude and afraid of what they don't understand. I love how some folks can sum me up based upon some comments and half *kitten*'d food logging via a social media forum.

A healthy life style/nutrition plan doesn't happen overnight. It's a work in progress so many of the comments whining about people on paleo but not following paleo to a T... just need to relax. Slow and steady and process of elimination is usually the best course of action.

One other comment that stuck out like a childish sore thumb, do I want a medal or cookie for mentioning that someone told me I'd fail on Paleo and I haven't? Hell yes I do. It's an accomplishment why the hell shouldn't I toot my own horn?

Mean and nasty has no room in my life. Intelligent and kind ADULTS are happy for one another’s accomplishments no matter how small. Decent people are encouraging and positive to one another. Grownups that are genuine lift each other up... not tear each other down. At the end of the day a bad attitude and cynicism will serve to make you lonely and miserable in this life. For those who left intelligent comments, questions, disagreements without being total *kitten* for the sake of a nice conversation, thank you. To all the others... shame on you.

been thinking the same thing. I have 3 kids and a life so I have more half assed logging days than not, trying to fix that. It seems posting on these boards would inhibit me from actually losing. All these *kitten*, with a lot of time on their hands, trying to show others how smart and witty they are.
    Anyway glad you are feeling positive about something when you have a lot to be down on. Good luck.

If this is half-assed logging, then it's been going on a really, really long time, and people have mentioned to her in numerous other posts that she's made that she is eating too little. The OP also has talked about how she exercises 2-3 times a day. Not week. Day.
  • dbmata
    Options

Around here conventional 93/7 ground beef and most other cuts of beef costs around $4-5 a pound, chicken $2-3 a pound depending on where you get it... pork somewhere in between... duck and lamb, I don't know about as I don't usually shop for it and I don't recall seeing it... I'm sure if I went to the local butcher shops I could find it. But if you want the organic, free range type of meat the price at the very least doubles around here.

there's a butcher here, sells beef from a small farm in north idaho for $20 a pound and up, the ground can be had for $10 and up. Not organic, but a small scale production, so they're essentially just not paying for the marketing tag. There's a processor/butcher that sells quarters and halves from the same farm. $3-5 a pound processed, depending on if you're buying a quarter or a half. It's just silly some of the games being played with costs.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    cushman, :) I passed day 30 and am still following. I didn't have the ice-cream treat, but instead had an angry-orchard hard cider. (only thing going for it, is gluten free and tasty). I enjoyed the bottle and am back to being good. :)

I didn't follow the book, I'm trying to be "primal blueprint" - and gave up all grains, and had one cheat day last week, with the cafeteria chili... but, overall am doing much better than I had been. I find that there's control to be had after all the extra sugars are out of our systems.

I am beginning to buy grass fed meats, and I just found a local farm that runs a 'store' about an hour drive away, which I have not yet driven to, but hope to on the next weekend.

I am learning how to cook - buying coconut flour, almond meal, tapioca flour - finding recipes for pancakes, breads, desserts - so that when I finally do have a craving, or a holiday with friends - I can bring something tasty and also 'healthy'. :)

It's not a diet as much as learning to make better choices. I feel REALLY good though. My skin is clearer. I haven't caught the germs that seem to already be 'around' up here in New England. One day at a time, and it's all good. :)

I'm so happy to hear this. Good for you and keep moving forward... All wonderful things have come out of this plan for me as well. As stated before I am still learning and growing but little by little I'm getting there. I love it!
  • dbmata
    Options

That is cheap meat! Even the cheapest ground beef is over $3 a lb where I live. Local meat is outrageously expensive. Local free range turkeys are sold for more than $85 unprocessed. You still have to defeather and butcher it youself!

Oh god yeah, here people think turkeys and geese are gold. So overpriced. Particularly since there are about 30 wild ones that live in my neighborhood. I wouldn't mind taking on of them home....
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

Seriously... My words are bigger than yours and my sarcasm is better than yours :wink:

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I don't know why folks have to make this into something it's not.
    Meat, vegetables, some fruit, seeds, nuts, good fats.
    It doesn't get any easier.
    At least I make sure I don't mock something until I've tried it out for myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2014
    Options

You don't have to try something to know it's not true. Legumes are not unhealthy for the vast majority of humans. That's a fact supported by science and several billion human experiments. Same for nightshade vegetables and grains.

No matter what my experience might be if I were to be the one and only person ever to strictly follow the paleo diet long term, there would still be all that evidence that it wasn't necessary for health. Eat whatever you want. I don’t think any reply on this thread has told you to change the way you eat. Many have congratulated you on finding a diet that works for you. But facts are facts.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Exactly. And the Paleo food concept is always changing. When evidence shows that previous ideas are wrong then the Paleo group starts to move in the right direction. I do not follow a Paleo diet exactly I but do use a lot of the ideas that I feel have good arguments.
  • dbmata
    Options

I've never paid anyone to urinate on me. I know enough about it that I have no qualms mocking people who do pay for that practice.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

And that's kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. Why make your diet into something it's not by slapping a meaningless label on it?

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Cushman, yes, it's a tough crowd in here.

it's easier sometimes to just not label yourself, and live a clean life. That way people can be happy when you're happy, and not be so judgemental. If your method works for you, and you're healthy, happy, and doing well - Great! :) I'm glad it's working.

We can only do the best that the thickness of our wallets, and the quality offered in the stores around us, provides.

Paleo seems to have a bad reputation, which I don't understand - to each his own.

• k8blujay2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Look, I don't really give a darn about how one eats or doesn't... but no matter what "diet" you follow, if you come out the gate swinging and professing that your way is the best way... I'm going to give you crap.

FTR: You in this comment is used in the general sense, not the personal sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ETA: Even if you don't like that comparison, you're still calling all dairy products processed... all whole grains... most grocery store produce.... I don't buy that definition of processed.

They are. That's why saying you should avoid "processed foods" is ridiculous (also kind of off topic, as paleo goes way beyond that in some ways and yet many paleo advocates seem fine with plenty of processed food). One should look at the specifics regarding the food item in question.

For example, I buy my meat from a local farm. Commonly, the law will require that farms selling to the public must not "process" their meat themselves, but must use a third party where the meat can be processed, inspected, etc.

And, of course, lots of meat--which is not sold separately from other meat in grocery stores and is on the periphery to the extent the meat in general is, is much more processed than that. Lean ground beef and skinless, boneless chicken breasts, for example.

Some bacon is more processed than other bacon (although it's all processed), but here's Loren Cordain on bacon:
    Virtually all of the bacon you buy at the supermarket comes from pigs that are raised indoors for most of their lives, predominantly fed grains, synthetic amino acids, vitamins and given hormones and antibiotics. Bacon is by no means a natural meat, but rather is selectively manufactured from the fat tissue butchered directly above a pig’s abdominal cavity. These slabs of tissue contain huge amounts of fat, little muscle (see table above) and are known in the industry as “pork bellies.”

After a pig’s slaughter, pork bellies (slabs) are typically injected with 1) salt, 2) nitrite or nitrate, 3) sodium erythorbate or sodium ascorbate and 4) phosphates. So, where once outside of a pig’s abdominal tissue you previously had natural fat and a miniscule amount of muscle, you now have a totally adulterated product containing salt, nitrites or nitrates, sodium erythrobate or ascorbate and phosphates – to say nothing about the selective butchering process which leaves the predominant muscle carcass behind. After pork bellies/slabs are injected, they are usually mechanically massaged, cooked/smoked and chilled and then sliced into the bacon strips we all recognize. You don’t have to be a food scientist to know that all of these manufacturing procedures yield a product far different from the animal’s natural meat and fat content.

Beyond this, Cordain seems anti fatty meat in general, on the theory that the vast majority of meat that paleo people would have hunted would have been much leaner, even in their fattier cuts. But I suppose you could make a good argument for bacon you process yourself from wild boar.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The bellies aren't injected, that's silly. They're put into big tumblers a few thousand at a time and tumbled in a brine, then stored until cured.

I'd like to see his peer reviewed, published proof that curing of bacon yields a product different from the animal's meat and fat content.

Cordain sounds like a total goober. Additionally, you don't want bacon from wild boar, trust me. It's rough. ROUGH.