Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options
I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to start making small changes to my eating and activities that will add up in the long run to a healthier lifestyle. I wanted to ask people here with more experience than me, what small changes have you made in your life that made a huge difference to your weight/fitness/general happiness? For example, I've always hated coffee, so in college and grad school I usually drank soda for caffeine :( Now I've begun substituting black tea for my daily soda, and it's definitely making a difference, both to my weight and to how my body feels. What are some other small but crucial steps I could take to ease myself into this whole awesome-but-slightly-scary health thing?

Replies

• sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, it was cutting calorie corners where I could. Like not getting cheese on sandwiches or burgers, not eating one of the buns, or even just eating half the meal when I went out and save the other half for another meal. Another thing is watching your sodium intake. It's not fat weight, but you'll feel less water bloat which can change your weight by pounds.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water take the stairs instead of elevators have fun

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Went from whole fat milk to fat free
    Smaller portions
    Have burger lettuce wraps instead of buns (I like the wrap better anyways)
    I work a desk job and don't have to get up much so I set an alarm on my phone for 45 minutes. Every time it goes off I alternate between going to the bathroom and a 5 minute power walk around the building. It really adds up quick.

ETA: Using a food scale to actually weigh out servings. It's amazing what a differance that makes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    -I keep a glass water jug by my desk so there's no excuses to get a glass of water. I just keep refilling my glass all day.
    -I cut out my "frilly" coffees like pumpkin spice lattes and iced cappucinos. There's 300 calories a day saved. Switched to brewed coffee or Americanos with NF or almond milk.
    -I started weighing and measuring my food. I was shocked at how much I was actually eating vs. how much I thought I was eating.
  • mgcarrillo
    mgcarrillo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Went from whole fat milk to fat free
    Smaller portions
    Have burger lettuce wraps instead of buns (I like the wrap better anyways)
    I work a desk job and don't have to get up much so I set an alarm on my phone for 45 minutes. Every time it goes off I alternate between going to the bathroom and a 5 minute power walk around the building. It really adds up quick.

ETA: Using a food scale to actually weigh out servings. It's amazing what a differance that makes.

I love the alarm idea! I also have a desk job, so this would be a great way to remind myself to get on my feet more. Thanks for the great advice!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Logging everything
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Water only. Makes a huge difference!

Park at the back of the lot at Publix.

Wash my own car.

Dance while rinsing dishes.

Read more about nutrition (from a reliable book) to help with food choices (or at least know why I suck, lol)

More planks, leg lifts, six inches

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Make a distinction between foods you WANT to eat, and foods that you eat just because they're lying around. It's amazing how many calories I saved doing that.

I'm not a big fan of doughnuts for example. I don't mind them but I don't crave them or think they're particularly tasty. In the past when someone would bring doughnuts I would take one (or two) just because it's right there sitting on the table and I happen to be passing by. Now I rarely, if ever, eat them. The other day I forgot, took a bite, and the taste instantly reminded me that I would much rather spend my calories on something else.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One of the big things for me was getting a good digital food scale. I weigh every thing because it's very easy to underestimate what you eat. By weighing food it makes me accountable for every choice I make. If I'm having a sandwich with turkey, lettuce, and tomato, I might weigh out just a half ounce of cheese or skip it entirely.

Also knowing how many calories are in a teaspoon or tablespoon of mayo, butter, catsup, or mustard makes me very aware of the small stuff I add to sandwiches. Like the mustard (almost no calories) might be a better choice than the mayo (fairly high in calories). Or I often cut back to a teaspoon or less mayo or butter on a slice of bread, simply because I don't want to have to log it.

Mentally I'm trying to get used to the idea that I don't have to feel 'full' all the time. I really don't like the feel of a growling empty stomach either, but there is a happy medium where I'm neither full or empty and I'm trying to get used to that. Everytime I go to the refrigerator or poke around for something to eat, I ask myself if I'm really hungry or I'm just bored and need to find something to do that will occupy both my hands and my mind. And I'm learning to skip second helpings too.

It's great to consider some of the small things because they do add up in the long-run and by making some small changes you can set in motion some big dividends.

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water and more water!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've taken to doing twelve bodyweight squats each time I use the bathroom at home. Two weeks ago I could barely keep my balance with arms extended now I do deep squats with arms folded against my chest.

Small steps in a greater journey toward fitness.
  • ellen_couliez
    ellen_couliez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    no patatos/bread/pasta and rice
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log every morning.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    mgcarrillo wrote: »
    I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to start making small changes to my eating and activities that will add up in the long run to a healthier lifestyle. I wanted to ask people here with more experience than me, what small changes have you made in your life that made a huge difference to your weight/fitness/general happiness? For example, I've always hated coffee, so in college and grad school I usually drank soda for caffeine :( Now I've begun substituting black tea for my daily soda, and it's definitely making a difference, both to my weight and to how my body feels. What are some other small but crucial steps I could take to ease myself into this whole awesome-but-slightly-scary health thing?

I love this thread. I need ideas, too. Thank you :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to set aside a little time everyday and read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Following my previous post, re-arrange your pantry/fridge. Keep the high calorie foods in the back where they are hidden from view and you will be less incline to random snack on them. This way you will only have higher calorie foods if you want to have them, not because you randomly opened your fridge and reached for something to munch on.
  • mgcarrillo
    Options
    Following my previous post, re-arrange your pantry/fridge. Keep the high calorie foods in the back where they are hidden from view and you will be less incline to random snack on them. This way you will only have higher calorie foods if you want to have them, not because you randomly opened your fridge and reached for something to munch on.

What a great idea!
  • mgcarrillo
    Options
    Undertwo wrote: »
    I've taken to doing twelve bodyweight squats each time I use the bathroom at home. Two weeks ago I could barely keep my balance with arms extended now I do deep squats with arms folded against my chest.

Small steps in a greater journey toward fitness.

This is totally something I need to incorporate. Thanks for the advice!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I lug a lot of crap to work each day. Lunch, snacks, water for the morning, water for the afternoon, protein shake for the gym, gym clothes. I use a wheely bag. My neighbors thought I was a flight attendant because of the bag! LOL! I come home one day and they ask me which airline I work for! :smile:

Planning makes a huge difference. If you have stuff to eat, you won't hit the vending machine. If you bring water, you won't get thirsty and get some pop. If you go tot he gym right from work, you'll avoid the black hole that is your couch.

I also don't buy snacky foods (chips/sweets). I have no self-discipline and will eat them up! Know yourself, and be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. :smiley:
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't leave the house without some type of healthy snack pre-portioned out. My favorites are string cheese, grapes or apples, greek yogurt, and nuts.

It makes eating right a lot easier when you are ready for battle.