going to try JUDDD starting next week

Options
2»

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    sorry for so many questions. on UP days, do you eat all the way to your calorie goal, or do you cut it back? i found one website that said to shave-off 500 calories from your daily goal on UD's and then eat 500 total on your DD's.

i did my calculations and my UD's total is 2108, so my DD's would either be 420 or 500 depending on if i go with 500 or 20%. if i take-off 500 from my UD's, then i would eat 500 one day, then 1608 the next, 500 the next, then 1608 again. by week's end, i should have a deficit of close to 7000 calories which would be 2 lbs/week. that seems a little extreme...perhaps sticking to the whole 2108 on UD's, that would be 4824 calorie deficit/week.

SORRY for the ?s :\
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No, you don't shave 500 off your up days. You might want to read one of the books or at least the web site.

In general, "eating back" is a matter of deciding what you want more-- more food or faster weight loss. There is no right answer or magic formula.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    No, you don't shave 500 off your up days. You might want to read one of the books or at least the web site.

In general, "eating back" is a matter of deciding what you want more-- more food or faster weight loss. There is no right answer or magic formula.

ok, i re-read and that taking-off 500 was for something else! thank you so much for your help and answering all my *stupid* questions. i truly appreciate it. i am starting on monday. i am not going to eat-back my exercise cals for right now to see how i do. i am a rather intense heavy lifter, so i might end-up having to eat some of them back on days i do my weight-lifting. again, thank you! :flowerforyou:

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    oh and by the way, i had NO IDEA about not posting on more than one board - SO SORRY! i didn't get any responses at all on the food & nutrition board, so i thought it would be better suited here. i should have deleted the post on the other board first! won't happen again! :blush:
  • Shewolfgurl
    Options
    I am new to MFP and considering JUDDD.. I've read many threads today and I have to say that this has been the most informative. Thanks to all for sharing info and resources!! I plan to start on Nov 4th (it's a timing thing.. lol) But I want to be well educated by then. I've done this in the past and remember being successful for a short time.. can't remember why I side-tracked but most of us have been there right? And thanks to La5Vega5Girl for the OP.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Shewolfgurl- There is a lot of good info at the lowcarbfriends/juddd forum. Or PM me.

I must've had Sam_I_Am on ignore because I never saw his comments here before. I don't know what research he's referring to but Varady's published a lot on it, not one 8-week study with no control group or comparison to non-ADF dieting.

Here are some reviews of her book.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Every-Other-Day-Diet-That-Weight/dp/1401324932
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I am new to MFP and considering JUDDD.. I've read many threads today and I have to say that this has been the most informative. Thanks to all for sharing info and resources!! I plan to start on Nov 4th (it's a timing thing.. lol) But I want to be well educated by then. I've done this in the past and remember being successful for a short time.. can't remember why I side-tracked but most of us have been there right? And thanks to La5Vega5Girl for the OP.

i accepted your friend request :smile:
    i start today, we'll see how it goes! i plan to log my feelings, etc on my home page so feel free to follow. nov 4 is my bday!! :smile: nice day for me - turning 44 on the 4th in '14. LOVE all those 4's!!! :blush:

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

To be diplomatic here, there seems like there could be promise but is such a plan better than anything else? Is it going to get you where you want faster? Will you keep the weight off long-term? Who knows, there doesn't appear to be enough information to answer these questions yet. It does sound like an interesting concept though.

in answer to your question, i think there most definitely can be such a thing as one plan being better than another. it depends on the person. some people can lose weight with PLAN "ABC" and others do not, while someone else might lose with PLAN "XYZ."

will i keep the weight off long-term?
    there is no way to know that without living a very long time and seeing! i lost a significant amount of weight before using another method and gained it back, so it seems to me that the method of weight loss may having nothing to do with maintenance.

no, there isn't enough information to answer these questions, but it has nothing to do with the method. it has to do with the individuals and time itself. i am giving it a try because i am stalled and i need a kick-start. if it doesn't work, i will try something else.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

To be diplomatic here, there seems like there could be promise but is such a plan better than anything else? Is it going to get you where you want faster? Will you keep the weight off long-term? Who knows, there doesn't appear to be enough information to answer these questions yet. It does sound like an interesting concept though.

in answer to your question, i think there most definitely can be such a thing as one plan being better than another. it depends on the person. some people can lose weight with PLAN "ABC" and others do not, while someone else might lose with PLAN "XYZ."

will i keep the weight off long-term?
    there is no way to know that without living a very long time and seeing! i lost a significant amount of weight before using another method and gained it back, so it seems to me that the method of weight loss may having nothing to do with maintenance.

no, there isn't enough information to answer these questions, but it has nothing to do with the method. it has to do with the individuals and time itself. i am giving it a try because i am stalled and i need a kick-start. if it doesn't work, i will try something else.

The method of weight loss has NOTHING to do with maintenance. You can switch to another plan altogether for maintenance. The question is sustainability for the individual. That is a personal issue. People gain back the weight on every diet there is. And every maintenance plan there is. Failing to plan (as in have a maintenance plan at the get-go) is planning to fail. Whatever the maintenance plan, if it is not sustainable to the individual, they will gain back the weight. So whatever your diet plan is, if it isn't working, try something else. And if your maintenance plan isn't working, you can try something else. It isn't the diet that fails, it is the individual, in most cases. And that's not casting dispersions on the character of humans, it's recognizing that they aren't flawless. If they can't live with it, they won't stay on it, and it won't work.

The entire weightloss biz is about finding which variables add up to your perfect personal formula. That takes experimentation and observation. OP, I think you've got the right attitude going into it. I hope this is THE PLAN that gets you to maintenance, and that you find a sustainable plan for you. :heart:

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    The 500 calories and down days sounds excessive and the fact that a supplement is being on the front page is questionable as well. Do yourself a favor, do some research on rapid fat loss, matabolic adaptation, and body-fat overshooting (this is a big one). Extreme caloric deficits are not good. Granted it is balanced between very high days and almost looks like a quasi body re-comp strategy, but this seems like a bit much. You always try and lose weight on as many calories as possible. Something like 80% of people that lose weight rapidly gain it back and a small percentage of those people experience body-fat overshooting, meaning they gain back more weight than they lost in the first place.

i actually just read a study to the opposite which showed that the majority of the people in their study who lost weight quickly actually kept it off longer and lost more overall. again, it depends on the person. i am not worried so much about genes, turning off and/or on, etc. and i do not think this is considered an "extreme caloric deficit" because in the end, i will only be in a deficit of about 3500 calories per week, which is what most people aim for when losing 1 lb/week.