Would you buy a house where a child was allegedly murdered?

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sure. I have a really good friend who moved into an apartment after a baby was murdered there. Herself and the landlord did a very thorough space clearing on the entire property and they never had a problem. She even has had a baby of her own there about a year ago, and still no problems.

I would consider it a blessing that an affordable preferable place opened up for you when you needed it the most!

I have no issue whatsoever with buying furniture, home goods etc from the family of the deceased, so... that's just me.

Sage goes a long way, and so does good intentions, communication and calling the witch doctor.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No, absolutely not. The thought would bother me for the duration of my stay there.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I will also add that there is a house in a nearby town that had a brutal ax murder happen a long time ago (100 years or so), and the murder was never solved. The whole family was killed. Ghost Hunters came out and spent a night there once. The guy who owns it rents it out for the night to anyone that wants to stay there and experience staying in a supposedly haunted house.

Here's what a lot of people do not know (except those that have lived around here for awhile): Lots of people lived in that house for several decades without any idea of the axe murder or that anything was wrong with the house. When it was up for sale, this guy had done some research and found out about the murders. He saw dollar signs, bought it, and turned it into a revenue stream for himself. It isn't haunted, and prior residents didn't notice anything strange enough to make them try to figure out why they were seeing/hearing strange things.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I live in a house where an unsolved murder occured. I am not bothered in the least. I am afraid of the living, certainly not the dead. If people really took the time to investigate their dwellings, they may some interesting history behind it. If it does not bother you, go for it.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    I couldn't. As a mother I'm extremely emotional when it comes to things involving children, I couldn't live in a home with such a sad history. However I did buy my home knowing the history of it and that the elderly woman who lived here before us passed away in the bath tub. (non violent, she was 97) I replaced the tub when we remodeled the bathroom and I have no issues.

you might need to see someone about that.

See someone about what?
    you obsessive personality.

I don't have an obsessive personality. I just think that it would be sad living somewhere where that happened. The child wasn't sick, it didn't pass away in it's sleep or in a loved ones arms, it was brutally beaten to death. I think it's pretty normal to find something like that sad.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I would add that up until modern times, it wasn't abnormal for generations of families to live together, and for older relatives to die at home.

The infant mortality rate was huge, and those deliveries also occurred in the home.

So basically, in the old days, everyone lived in a home where someone died.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

Outside the arctic regions, Siberia, northern Canada and - maybe - southern Patagonia, you won't find a single square meter where we humans haven't fought one another, murdered one another, infanticided one another, genocided one another, etc...

ETA : and northern Scandinavia.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I couldn't. As a mother I'm extremely emotional when it comes to things involving children, I couldn't live in a home with such a sad history. However I did buy my home knowing the history of it and that the elderly woman who lived here before us passed away in the bath tub. (non violent, she was 97) I replaced the tub when we remodeled the bathroom and I have no issues.

you might need to see someone about that.

See someone about what?
    you obsessive personality.

I don't have an obsessive personality. I just think that it would be sad living somewhere where that happened. The child wasn't sick, it didn't pass away in it's sleep or in a loved ones arms, it was brutally beaten to death. I think it's pretty normal to find something like that sad.

you spoke about furniture (bathtub) and other things.

this had nothing to do with the house ......you continue to elaborate on your problems with other things.

the elder lady still died there........her essence remains right?

I remodeled the bathroom because I wanted a steam shower, not SOLELY because the woman died there. I still have the bathtub, because I'm having it refinished to use in another bathroom in my house.

The rest of what you're saying makes no sense, there is no essence. She was old, she died peacefully, end of story. My apologies for thinking it's sad that a child was brutally murdered somewhere.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

Outside the arctic regions, Siberia, northern Canada and - maybe - southern Patagonia, you won't find a single square meter where we humans haven't fought one another, murdered one another, infanticided one another, genocided one another, etc...

ETA : and northern Scandinavia.

Exactly. Superstitions are so silly.

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    If the murderer is in jail then sure! But if he is still at large, then NO!

I don't get the logic behind this answer.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no I don't think so. Knowing what happened there would bother me and I honestly believe that places absorb the energy of people who inhabited them. I just don't think I could live there. I feel like in my mind I would be seeing that poor child being harmed over and over again. I don't think it would be good for my family. Good luck to you! I hope you are able to find a good place to live!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I loved the house/area.
  • jharlowlives
    jharlowlives Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ghosts are the best - definitely do it
  • avoidtheclapp107
    avoidtheclapp107 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    NOPE. When I bought my house I specified "not haunted" and "no flood zone." Not necessarily in that order.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    true story.........I used to live in Houston, Texas........and 3 houses over was the famous Rogers Refrigerator murder scene

the house is gone, but the lot was NEVER built on....well, until about 5 years ago........An older couple was found in June of 1965 all cut up and put in a refrigerator...its a true story, goole it.......the Rogers Refrigerator murder.....and they think it was their son who killed them and put them into the refrigerator......

No one, no one would ever consider building or living on that lot..matter of fact, the next door neighbors opened thier fencing to include their yard within the Rogers lot....all, and I repeat, all of their dalmations that they owned, sensed something wrong and would never venture into the lot

One really strange thing happened..........when President John Kennedy was shot in Dallas, thier son, the one who was suspected of chopping up his parents ,was one of the first arrested and taken in for questioning that day in November

When I lived there, everyonce in a while, a car would stop and ask where the famous Rogers murder home was........really creeepy........

here is the link.......Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHvsbz0SJqs
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in ghosts. Or "vibrations". I would make sure that it was an isolated incident and not some REALLY creepy situation, just because I wouldn't want any of the church pastor's other friends coming by. But if it's safe, there is no reason you shouldn't be happy there. Supersition ain't the way.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    true story.........I used to live in Houston, Texas........and 3 houses over was the famous Rogers Refrigerator murder scene

the house is gone, but the lot was NEVER built on....well, until about 5 years ago........An older couple was found in June of 1965 all cut up and put in a refrigerator...its a true story, goole it.......the Rogers Refrigerator murder.....and they think it was their son who killed them and put them into the refrigerator......

No one, no one would ever consider building or living on that lot..matter of fact, the next door neighbors opened thier fencing to include their yard within the Rogers lot....all, and I repeat, all of their dalmations that they owned, sensed something wrong and would never venture into the lot

One really strange thing happened..........when President John Kennedy was shot in Dallas, thier son, the one who was suspected of chopping up his parents ,was one of the first arrested and taken in for questioning that day in November

When I lived there, everyonce in a while, a car would stop and ask where the famous Rogers murder home was........really creeepy........

here is the link.......Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHvsbz0SJqs

I read about this. The house was demolished in 1972 and condos were built on the lot in 2000. So people are now living there. Wonder if they've seen any ghosts or "sensed" any "vibrations." lol

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I still keep up some with my old neighbors, but I did talk to the ones who were living when it first happend......

The lady who lived across the street knew them and she always thought their was something strange........it was a one story house, but they opened the attic up and the son lived up on the 2nd story, but it had an outside stairway to get into the attic......

so, and she stated that when she asked Mrs Rogers , how her son was doing, she would say, that although he lived there in the same house, she hadn't seen her son for months...he lurked about at night, after they went to bed

Also, this same lady told me, after it happend for about 3 months, it was non stop traffic..people driving around the block, over and over and over.......they were mesmorized by it...again, back in those days, these crimes were rare, unlike today..

also, the little idiot son had to dispose of other internal parts, and they found those a few weeks later........really a macabe situation

I did speak to many of the people who lived on that block, and they were all scared of the son......creepy.......HAPPY HALLOWEEN..........
  • RyanQu
    RyanQu Posts: 48
    Options
    If it was cheap, yes.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    ravenribbs wrote: »
    Under NO circumstances. I live in Newtown, CT, where Sandy Hook Elementary School has been, thankfully, razed. You have too many other options for housing than to live in that place.
    Has it? Thank goodness for that. Awful horrible incident with too many bad memories for a lot of people I imagine.