Macros vs Calories

Options
Ide appreciate if anyone could give me thier opinions on macros vs calories or any tips they have they think may be useful.

Theres soo much conflicting info out there that Im finding it hard to figure out what to use! I am a 135pound female roughly 25%bf doing crossfit 4 times a week. I have set my macros to Carbs20%(90g) Protein45%(202g) Fat35%(70g) at 1800cals. This is for workout days and on my three rest days will just miss on the pre and post workout meals taking my cals down to about 1500. Im soo confused though because when I try workout out what I should be eating the calculators on line all give me such large variations. Some say I should be eating 2000 and others 1500. Also some very low carb others saying higher carb. My goal is to get my bf% down but still have the energy to perform to my best in crossfit.

Whats your opinion on macros and cals? Do you think its more important to follow your macronutrients or do you think its the amount of cals that's most important?

Any tips would be appreciated

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP the way it's supposed to be used... it tells you how much to eat.

For your macros, you don't really have to go low carb and 202g of protein is WAY WAY overkill IMO... For your size 120g would be plenty.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Your macro breakdown is something you have to find with trial and error. I find I do better with higher fat and moderate carb/protein. The overall cals will determine your weight loss/gain, just track your weight and adjust this to your goals.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We need carbohydrates for energy in the weight room; they increase performance. Carbs also hydrate the muscles. Ever wonder why they're called CarboHYDRATEs? By neglecting carbs, you're going to sacrifice performance and pump. IMO ( taken from BB .com ) but i LIVE by this rule!
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you need to find a good balance of monitoring both your macros and your calories. They are both important. If you haven't, fill out the IIFYM calculator on their webiste.. (IIFYM.com). From my own experience and from conversations I've had with others, the recommended calories and macro amounts work pretty well. When I'm filling out the calculator, I chose "reckless". From my understanding/research.. "reckless" according to IIFYM is equivalent to choosing the "Lose 2lbs a week" goal on MFP.

And eating on the "reckless" plan, I can tell you.. it's really not reckless. I'm always full/satisfied and sometimes struggling to eat all of my macros.

My Stats:
    Height- 5'6" Weight- 145lbs
    - Calorie Goal- 1570
    - Carbs-116
    - Fat- 58
    - Protein- 145

It works for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Weeyin06 wrote: »
    I am a 135pound female roughly 25%bf doing crossfit 4 times a week. I have set my macros to Carbs20%(90g) Protein45%(202g) Fat35%(70g) at 1800cals. This is for workout days and on my three rest days will just miss on the pre and post workout meals taking my cals down to about 1500.

IMO, these macros are not appropriate for cross-fit. You are going to eventually hit a wall. Up your carbs and lower your protein... For starters, just swap the percentages.

To answer your initial question, it's not macros or calories, it's macros and calories...
  • Weeyin06
    Weeyin06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some really great stuff here. Thanks a lot for all the replys :smile: Definetly need to make changes. Already starting on my new macro/cals target before tomorrows weekly food shop and prep.

Thanks again everyone :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    We need carbohydrates for energy in the weight room; they increase performance. Carbs also hydrate the muscles. Ever wonder why they're called CarboHYDRATEs? By neglecting carbs, you're going to sacrifice performance and pump. IMO ( taken from BB .com ) but i LIVE by this rule!

They're called carboHYDRATEs because they are hydrates of carbon, not because they hydrate you. You're confounding two different definitions of the term.

90g isn't neglecting carbs, particularly if dosed correctly. >_<
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If switch your fat and protein %. I feel best and perform well on around 100g/carbs so I don't see that as an issue.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are doing something so physically challenging, you are going to need more energy! I would say at least 1600 cals. I like 40/40/20 for prot/carbs/fat, but if you are bottoming out of workouts you may need to go 35/45/20. Just keep working with them. Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you have more questions!
  • Weeyin06
    Weeyin06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feed back :) it's interesting how so many people have different views. I'm coming to the conclusion that everyone's body reacts differently so it's just a matter of being paint while finding what suits u. I have went between so many different types of diets and defo think track macros is the way to go.

This time around I am going to go on the recommendations of IIFYM and bb.com as they Hav both gave me kind of similar results on thier calculators. So going to give 1407cals a go on a ratio of 45c/30p/25f on both workout and rest days. I'm a bit apprehensive at the lower calorie and hav been very high proteing and high fat for such a long time is taking me a bit to workout what my meals should be. We will see. All part of the process I guess and if anything at least I'm learning to be patient!

Thanks again everyone!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tracking macros is basically tracking calories. You're just tracking a different intake unit.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Worth noting: MFP is not always correct. Here is what my breakdown yesterday looked like. 1,498 164carb55fat123pt 41fiber 55sugar However. If you add the macros that comes to 1643 calories not 1498. Big difference. So I track macros and I get my guidance from iifym.com
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Worth noting: MFP is not always correct.

true. MFP macro guidelines are "legally safe" guidelines but they are not automatically appropriate for for all users

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb:

0.8g of protein per lb body weight (this should be considered a minimum*)
    0.4-0.5g of fat per lb body weight (this should be considered a minimum*)

*more does not necessarily mean better

Remaining calories distributed as you choose. You might want to experiment. Some people like more carbs, some more fat, etc. All depends on how you like to eat and whether you need more satiety, more quick energy, ...
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

They're called carboHYDRATEs because they are hydrates of carbon, not because they hydrate you. You're confounding two different definitions of the term.

90g isn't neglecting carbs, particularly if dosed correctly. >_<

The analogy was taken from BB.com... not the most accurate source lol!

Carbohydrate - structurally it is more accurate to view them as polyhydroxy aldehydes and ketones.

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Basic rule of thumb:

0.8g of protein per lb body weight (this should be considered a minimum*)
    0.4-0.5g of fat per lb body weight (this should be considered a minimum*)

*more does not necessarily mean better

Remaining calories distributed as you choose. You might want to experiment. Some people like more carbs, some more fat, etc. All depends on how you like to eat and whether you need more satiety, more quick energy, ...

I thought it was 0.8g protein per lb of lean body mass? I'm 175 lbm 137.5 for the first 140g for the second 110g. I've been aiming for the second.