Rocovering from anorexia, now binging.

Options
13»

Replies

• VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Pay no attention to comments you consider rude, even if they were not meant that way. Take the good parts you find.

You are doing the head work and that is definitely the most difficult part. I have dealt with other head issues (not eating disorder) and it as damn hard work, enough to break out in a sweat.

You are doing incredibly well, doing the hard part. Keep going to the docs and group. Keep working on it. Realistically, sometimes you will fail. But more and more times you will succeed.

Your very first post indicated you had successes. Wonderful!

[/quote]

thank you. I contacted EDV today and they are referring me to a dietitian so hopefully that helps. :)

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It has to come down to the root issue. Eat more, confront your fear. Your fear is gaining, allow yourself to gain and you deal with your battle first hand. This is how you truly get passed, and to be absolutley honest with yourself. I dont believe you WANT a healthy relationship with food because your desire to be thin is more important to you.
    You can stay slim and count calories without gaining weight that you dont want.
    Counting calories is a healthy relationship with food for me and in my life...
    the reason I know this is because I used to be a binger, however counting calories, staying slim (key) allows me to deeply appreciate food, of all kinds. To actually feel what it means to enjoy and have gratitude for food that is plenty. I think about those who actually cant afford food or live in bad areas of the world. Belief and solid gratitude for food is step one to a healthy relationship. You must Change this root issue by THINKING differently, and allowing yourself to BUILD a Habit (whether calorie counting weekly, not binging, ..ect) <3
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I am not a doctor..and I HIGHLY reccomend talking with the doc/therapist on this..and if they brush off your concerns, find another professional to help you.

I feel, last year, I had a bout with anorexia..I starved myself down to 108 pounds..which for my medium frame made me look skeletal. it was at the point folks thought I was sick...it was my way of dealing with a ginorumous emotional "boo boo" I had suffered. I now understand in a world spinning out of control, my eating was something I COULD control.

Im now into the 120's..Id love to be 117-ish again, but I realize Im not bad off where Im at..it took awhile for me to mentally overcome this hurdle, but Im getting there. I have my beautiful shape back, including my boobs..which shrank to nothing when I starved myself.

I suffer from late night sugar binges...at first I did not know exactly what it was, just knew I wanted to puke and not eat for a week after one.

I have determined (and I saw it mentioned above) making sure I am close or hit my fat and protein for the day helps curb this..espc if I load up on protein-y snacks. befcause my binge is sugar based, I also include fruit in my day, espc in my evening meal. I still slip up..last night at midnight I ate three oatmeal raisin cookies..:(..and I felt icky this morning. I CAN overcome this and I WILL overcome it..but it takes retraining of the mind, at least for me. Good luck, feel free to friend!
  • SkinnyGourmand
    SkinnyGourmand Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    [/quote]
    daynerz wrote: »
    I dont believe you WANT a healthy relationship with food because your desire to be thin is more important to you.

I know you're trying to help but it's not that easy for someone with anorexia to change their thinking. Anorexia is defined by disordered thinking, OP can't just wake up one day and decide that she's not going to care about being thin. It's like telling a person with clinical depression to stop feeling sad. And she already stated that she's purging/restricting because she is so afraid of being fat now that she's 115 lbs. so simply gaining weight isn't helping her.

OP - best of luck. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by speaking to professionals about your eating disorder. Hopefully your meeting with the dietician helps.
  • VeganEquestrian
    VeganEquestrian Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    I dont believe you WANT a healthy relationship with food because your desire to be thin is more important to you.

I know you're trying to help but it's not that easy for someone with anorexia to change their thinking. Anorexia is defined by disordered thinking, OP can't just wake up one day and decide that she's not going to care about being thin. It's like telling a person with clinical depression to stop feeling sad. And she already stated that she's purging/restricting because she is so afraid of being fat now that she's 115 lbs. so simply gaining weight isn't helping her.

OP - best of luck. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by speaking to professionals about your eating disorder. Hopefully your meeting with the dietician helps.[/quote]

THANK YOU!

I know I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I desire to be thinner and normal. I know this is an issue and its taking over my life and thoughts. I don't want to be like this. I want to change but that takes time as I'm 21 and I've been like this since 12/13 so I can't just change overnight!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I wish we could get the Ignore button back so that we could just block out rude people.

The bingeing is kind of to be expected at this point, but purging is another story, so whatever help you need to *not* purge, that's going to be important. I know it's a horrible panicky feeling to just keep a binge down, but it's a necessary step on the path to eventually not bingeing and relearning a normal pattern. I have not yet conquered the not bingeing part, either. But it's a process.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello Ashley,

I was pretty much in the same boat. I already had a fantastic nutritionist that had helped my fear of food, but he lived halfway across the country. I had gotten over anorexia but had started binging and had no idea how to stop. My doctor told me he wasn't worried about it and said I had OCD, not an ED. I was pretty much left to deal with it on my own but they were like compulsions. I didn't WANT to do them, I just HAD to.
    Then I found a girl at my gym who is studying nutrition and is a fully recovered ex-bulimic.

Her first step with me was to be kind to myself. If a binge occures, the moment it is over is the moment you move on and get back to normality as soon as possible, no starvation period. It's terrying, god I know how scary it is. Don't let this beat you because you are so much more than any ED. She had me stop counting, stop weight and start right from the beginning. I've felt unstable putting all my trust in her but only a few weeks later I am feeling "normal". Yes I gained a lot of weight from binging but I'm even losing it even with the mad volume of food she gave me! I am able to put down food when I've "had enough". I've regained the ability to know whether I want something or not. It's freedom, and you'll have it too.

She put me on IF too as I don't like breakfast and like you would often have the urge to binge at home later at night. This has almost completely stopped. Perhaps this is something you can try?

I'm so happy you're seeing a dietician. Don't be scared of food. Don't be hard on your plateaus. You're not well but you're trying to get better. Asking someone to stop binging is like asking a sick person not to puke. It's just not that simple. You can do this. Take care :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about anorexia, but will say that this sounds like an excellent conversation to have with your counselor. Best wishes to you. :)
  • typicallystrange
    Options
    i'm in recovery, i eat 2500-3000 calories a day. i used to consider that a binge (now i know better). i am in no way fat, in fact, i'm finding it difficult to gain more weight. bingeing in recovery is not bingeing, it's your body trying to get energy and nutrients that it needs