Not losing weight on low carb?

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Again, I'd ask if you've read other sources that would dispute those points - but honestly a lot of those are just laughable. Malnutrition, simply due to a lower carb intake? Cholesterol... what type? You realize low carb diets are known to raise HDL cholesterol, a.k.a. "good" cholesterol? Cancer... really? He's determined a lack of carbs elevates your risk of cancer? I'd LOVE to see that research... but it probably only causes cancer in the state of California (where everything causes cancer). I could go on, but you should expand your world beyond that book. You've been fed misinformation by someone pushing what many would call a pretty radical diet.

If it works for you, by all means. But when your knowledge of other diets is superficial at best, I'd be leery of passing judgement. 80/10/10 for someone who is insulin resistant would be a nightmare, it would provide inadequate protein intake for anyone looking to get optimal results from strength training unless they eat a massive caloric surplus, it could very well mess with hormone levels due to inadequate fat intake, and on and on.

No diet is optimal for every individual, and attempting to scare people out of a proven diet based on exaggerated symptoms put forth a book pushing another fad diet is just silly.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    LOL I HAVE read other books and I have learned in my nutrition classes that being in ketosis is unhealthy. The OP never said she was insulin resistant (from what I saw) and that's one reason why I advised against a low carb diet. Do some research on ketosis. If you find some peer reviewed studies that say I'm wrong, I'll gladly read them.
  • parkscs
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    LOL I HAVE read other books and I have learned in my nutrition classes that being in ketosis is unhealthy. The OP never said she was insulin resistant (from what I saw) and that's one reason why I advised against a low carb diet. Do some research on ketosis. If you find some peer reviewed studies that say I'm wrong, I'll gladly read them.

There are plenty of studies. But hint, studies don't lead to broad conclusions like a "deadly diet" that will necessarily bring on malnutrition, cancer, and other laughable conclusions. You're quoting sensationalist quotes from a book on a fad diet... and yet talking about studies in the same breath. Does not compute.

If you want to talk studies, let's put away the fad diet book and talk studies. But so far I just see you quoting a laughable book.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Kmhornak wrote: »
    I don't weigh everything but the food I eat is high protein,
    low fat.

You're doing it wrong.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    If she is genuinely eating 1200 calories...

She's clearly not.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2011.01916.x/abstract

Are you sure you aren't getting ketosis confused with ketoacidosis?...two very different things.

And also, why would doctors prescribe low-carb diets if they are deadly?
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

There are plenty of studies. But hint, studies don't lead to broad conclusions like a "deadly diet" that will necessarily bring on malnutrition, cancer, and other laughable conclusions. You're quoting sensationalist quotes from a book on a fad diet... and yet talking about studies in the same breath. Does not compute.

If you want to talk studies, let's put away the fad diet book and talk studies. But so far I just see you quoting a laughable book.

No...... I have read similar information from studies as well... And my nutrition professors. I'm assuming Dr. Graham said malnutrition because of calcium and potassium losses as they bind to ketones. How is that laughable? I'd still like to see some studies that prove me wrong.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I don't weigh everything but the food I eat is high protein,
    low fat.

You're doing it wrong.

We've gotten past this. She already admitted that she needs to measure accurately.
  • parkscs
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

No...... I have read similar information from studies as well... And my nutrition professors. I'm assuming Dr. Graham said malnutrition because of calcium and potassium losses as they bind to ketones. How is that laughable? I'd still like to see some studies that prove me wrong.

I'm not in the business of arguing with fad diet books. ;) If having seen studies sometime, somewhere, that you can't remember the name of or citation to, is the basis for that conclusion, well, I won't lose any sleep over that one. Let's remember, you're the one making the radical conclusions that this "deadly diet" is going to cause malnutrition, high cholesterol (of an unspecified type of cholesterol, mind you) and, let's not forget, cancer. I wouldn't be surprised if Ebola is on the list too. That might help Dr. Graham sell more books.

But why not, I'm a few glasses of wine in, so I'll play ball. How about the study from just last month, concluding:
    The low-carbohydrate diet was more effective for weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor reduction than the low-fat diet. Restricting carbohydrate may be an option for persons seeking to lose weight and reduce cardiovascular disease.

Sounds deadly, doesn't it? And there are numerous other studies out there showing many people see an increase in HDL ("good") cholesterol on low carb diet, many times paired with a reduction in LDL cholesterol. So let's talk about this - your fad diet book concludes cholesterol is increased, yet the studies seem to show that it's actually HDL cholesterol that's typically increased. A bit misleading, don't you think, to suggest that this "deadly diet" raises cholesterol in view of ample evidence that, to the extent cholesterol is raised, it's actually "good" HDL cholesterol?

I'm not trying to say you need to follow a low carb diet or that anyone should for that matter. But I do have a problem when people try to scare people away from a diet that could potentially help them reach a healthy body weight. If you're interested in actually helping people be healthy, encouraging them to find a way to reach a healthy body composition is probably the best way to do so. I'm good friends with quite a few doctors and I have yet to find one that disagrees with me - if a low carb diet will help someone reach a healthy body composition, then that's probably the healthiest diet for that person. For that matter, if you want a citation, how about this study from last month that concluded:
    Significant weight loss was observed with any low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet. Weight loss differences between individual named diets were small. This supports the practice of recommending any diet that a patient will adhere to in order to lose weight.

Again, I think you'll find that once you venture outside the fad diet book realm, you'll find people interested in actually helping people move away from the scaremongering and advocating that people do whatever works for them.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose either… I actually got into the food choices..… but no loss… maybe a good way to maintain if you like it..

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.

more LOLZ ..yes, please see a new nutritionist if they are feeding you this...

pretty much every food that you eat is going to cause an insulin spike..

and you can burn fat by just having a negative energy balance, i.e. eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit...

I hope you are not paying this "nutritionist"

The idea behind the low-carb diet is that decreasing carbs lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy and ultimately leads to weight loss.

and barring a medical condition you can do the same thing with a low calorie diet and eat carbs...

Low Carb does not = fat burning ...
    negative energy balance = fat burning...
    Low Carb does not burn fat, all you have accomplished is that you replace more calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and create a calorie deficit...

You guys underestimate the power of the keto diet. One of the BIG FAT HUGE benefits is that you eat very infrequently. Very often (like today), I will go about 18 hours without having much in between. Fat satiates hunger, and I normally have one huge meal a day with a supporting cast of a few hundred calories in the meantime. This satiation curbs the need to feed, and to over-feed, which is a very common problem for people that have 3-5 meals a day.

Other than that:
    OP, how is your water intake? In ketosis, you need to be drinking more than the average person. I am 208, and I drink no less than about 90 oz per day. That is about 12 cups

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.

and you can burn fat by just having a negative energy balance, i.e. eat in a 500 per day calorie deficit...

The idea behind the low-carb diet is that decreasing carbs lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy and ultimately leads to weight loss.

yes! Who ever said that EVERY food will cause a blood sugar spike? I agree, every food will cause it to rise, but on a ketogenic diet, that rise is minimized if it is not a sugar or starch. Diabetics benefit from this, which is why it is gaining popularity with the diabetic community. If a diabetic does not eat carbs, there is less risk for a blood sugar spike that overruns their body's ability to release insulin. If the carbs are limited, their insulin levels will be appropriate for the amount of glucose they have in their bodies.

Insulin spike: where the blood sugar levels shoot up, and for normal people, the insulin levels accommodate that spike. Diabetics can't do that, so they take insulin treatments and have to monitor when they eat compared to when they inject
    Insulin rise: slow, gradual rise of insulin in response to an influx of glucose. The ketogenic diet keeps it at this level, and is a strong reason why diabetes patients can benefits from this diet.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

yes! Who ever said that EVERY food will cause a blood sugar spike? I agree, every food will cause it to rise, but on a ketogenic diet, that rise is minimized if it is not a sugar or starch. Diabetics benefit from this, which is why it is gaining popularity with the diabetic community. If a diabetic does not eat carbs, there is less risk for a blood sugar spike that overruns their body's ability to release insulin. If the carbs are limited, their insulin levels will be appropriate for the amount of glucose they have in their bodies.

Insulin spike: where the blood sugar levels shoot up, and for normal people, the insulin levels accommodate that spike. Diabetics can't do that, so they take insulin treatments and have to monitor when they eat compared to when they inject
    Insulin rise: slow, gradual rise of insulin in response to an influx of glucose. The ketogenic diet keeps it at this level, and is a strong reason why diabetes patients can benefits from this diet.

This. And reactive hypoglycemia patients as well. Smaller amounts of carbs mean smaller amounts of insulin being produced by my deranged pancreas.
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I bought ketostix and use those to measure whether I'm still excreting ketones or not. I also lost about 16 pounds and then nothing for two weeks and suddenly it started back up again. Try and hang in there and best of luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

and barring a medical condition you can do the same thing with a low calorie diet and eat carbs...

Low Carb does not = fat burning ...
    negative energy balance = fat burning...
    Low Carb does not burn fat, all you have accomplished is that you replace more calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods and create a calorie deficit...

You guys underestimate the power of the keto diet. One of the BIG FAT HUGE benefits is that you eat very infrequently. Very often (like today), I will go about 18 hours without having much in between. Fat satiates hunger, and I normally have one huge meal a day with a supporting cast of a few hundred calories in the meantime. This satiation curbs the need to feed, and to over-feed, which is a very common problem for people that have 3-5 meals a day.

Other than that:
    OP, how is your water intake? In ketosis, you need to be drinking more than the average person. I am 208, and I drink no less than about 90 oz per day. That is about 12 cups

so you are saying you are more satiated, hence you eat less, hence you are in a calorie deficit, hence you are burning fat ….? Great ..I can do the same thing eating carbs and being in a calorie deficit ….I don't need some magical low carb solution ...
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ah what a suprise ndj1979 trolling yet again in another low carb thread..

Anyways OP I didn't read much of the thread but that is perfectly normal. First 2 weeks I lost 15lbs most of it water. 3rd week I lost nothing. Apparently the third week stall is very common on keto, but should pick up again soon. I started losing in 4th week again.
    The scale is a tool, but sometimes can be misleading. It says you don't go down weight, yet your belt goes on 1 notch tighter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    harmar21 wrote: »
    ah what a suprise ndj1979 trolling yet again in another low carb thread..

Anyways OP I didn't read much of the thread but that is perfectly normal. First 2 weeks I lost 15lbs most of it water. 3rd week I lost nothing. Apparently the third week stall is very common on keto, but should pick up again soon. I started losing in 4th week again.
    The scale is a tool, but sometimes can be misleading. It says you don't go down weight, yet your belt goes on 1 notch tighter.

so its trolling to point the ridiculousness in that post?

Do you really believe that Keto burns more fat than a regular calorie deficit?????
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Granted. I don't have a problem if that is all that is going on in the comment. But it is often paired with "just eat what you want instead," which for many people doesn't work for multiple reasons, or some sort of negative judgment on low-carb diets. Some are trying it because run-of-the-mill calorie deficit failed over and over for them. And then there are those with medical issues. Telling them to just eat what they want can be harmful instead of helpful. And for those who just want to cut carbs to help cravings or to reestablish portion control, it is discouraging.

I, like many others, tried to eat trigger foods in moderation and failed every time. Low-carb diets can sometimes be the answer for people who need a crutch. And for those with medical issues of a certain type, low-carb IS the answer.

I understand where you are coming from and I never said there weren't ignorant comments made, lol. It's a public forum, so sometimes you have to determine what is valid and what is not.

In terms of medical issues, I completely understand... my wife has them (and yes, she is low carb). And unfortunately in my cases, they are not disclosed until after 3 or more pages of going back and forth.

• nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that you guys dismissing the approach are all fitness folks and not people who really want to lose weight.

It is a sad fact that some people wear their obesity badge proudly on their chest and are afraid to get their hands dirty and actually lose weight. They like their victimhood status.

I am still trying to figure out why you think that losing weight has to be a challenge? Why you have to go to some extreme to get results? Why do you have to get your hands dirty? Is that because when you have dirty hands you don't want to eat what you have touched?

I have lost over 40 lbs this year with slow and steady loss, just like I planned. Weighing, measuring and logging what I eat. Exercising regularly. Not cutting out anything since I like a variety of foods and know that cutting out whole food groups isn't sustainable for me. I have been making sure the calories I take in are less than the calories I expend. Once I figured out what works for me, it isn't hard. I don't need to make it harder or more extreme than that.

So explain to me why would I challenge myself to your purported way of losing weight when what I am doing is working for me? Why should anyone who has found something that is working for them? Since the bottom line in weight loss is finding what works for you and sticking with that.
  • parkscs
    Options
    So explain to me why would I challenge myself to your purported way of losing weight when what I am doing is working for me? Why should anyone who has found something that is working for them? Since the bottom line in weight loss is finding what works for you and sticking with that.

You shouldn't completely change your routine if what you're doing is working for you. Of course, the same can be said for the OP who seems to enjoy a low carb diet.
This discussion has been closed.