Not losing weight on low carb?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Important to remember, all these "diets" are mere tools in a toolbox to achieve a desired result. Certain tools are more or less appropriate for a given task, preferences and lifestyles. Find the tool that fits your task... and get on with your life.

Dude, you inspire. That just brought this room to a baseline. None of us can counter that.

X 1,000
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

Agreed. Also, I'd see a dietitian over a nutritionist as they have more education. Being in a full state of ketosis isn't healthy and can lead to high cholesterol, kidney problems, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and of course all the diseases linked to high cholesterol like heart disease. Carbs are absolutely necessary in one's diet to fuel your brain and cells. Any nutritionist that recommends a low carb diet is not a nutritionist that I would recommend.
    Citations for all of this please?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

Agreed. Also, I'd see a dietitian over a nutritionist as they have more education. Being in a full state of ketosis isn't healthy and can lead to high cholesterol, kidney problems, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and of course all the diseases linked to high cholesterol like heart disease. Carbs are absolutely necessary in one's diet to fuel your brain and cells. Any nutritionist that recommends a low carb diet is not a nutritionist that I would recommend.
    Citations for all of this please?

Agreed, I would love to see the peer-reviewed references on that statement. As an academic in health I know this to be false, or at least false within the scope of healthy adults. You take somebody with kidney problems then perhaps there is relevance.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    The books that advocate eating a mild deficit and exercising regularly should add the same disclaimer, because failure rates are pretty comparable between the two groups. So... your point?

I don't disagree, failure rate is high either way. But all too often authors put a fancy name on a nutrition plan, some of which is rather poor to begin with, and people jump on the bandwagon because it sounds new and different but in reality it's not all that different. It's troubling to me that nobody believes in basic nutrition principles unless it's in one of these books or websites. I see it all the time first hand as well. A family member went to a dietician for help in losing weight and she put her on a normal healthy, with some flexibility, eating plan. She didn't lose 10lbs in 3 weeks and she got frustrated and did one of the "Cleanses" lost the 10lbs and then gained back 15lbs. Where if she would've stayed on the initial plan that 10lbs would be long gone by now and probably more. Situations like that are so common in that people need immediate gratification and get there by using buzz-words; you see the same thing in fitness with *kitten* like "muscle confusion". Hell, look at Paleo. I listened to an interview by the author of the original book and what Paleo has become is not what he intended at all, but things get twisted and misrepresented all the time. Sorry for the rant... lol
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Kmhornak wrote: »
    I haven't weighed my food but I will start doing it, thanks.

Bingo. This is why you aren't losing weight. You are eating more than you think you are.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    steve098 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that you guys dismissing the approach are all fitness folks and not people who really want to lose weight.

It is a sad fact that some people wear their obesity badge proudly on their chest and are afraid to get their hands dirty and actually lose weight. They like their victimhood status.

Look dude, I'm not stupid. I know I can't eat anything I want as long as I skip breakfast. I do need to lose weight and believe it or not, I have managed to do so without you or your books. I have lost 27 pounds so far and I eat breakfast almost every day. When you stop stealing someone else's photo or heck, even acknowledge that you do so, I might consider listening to you. Might.

LOL.

Don't do me any favors.

If you are not stupid, then download a free copy of Guyton's textbook and do some reading.

If you are not stupid, then you have read the studies and know that your chance of keeping your weight off five years out on dietary restriction approach is vanishing small.

Believe it or not, there are people on these boards who make money off keeping people obese, or steering them in a direction that will fail, thereby keeping them obese and keeping their cash "cow" viable.
    Did you remove the tinfoil hat for the photo?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »

Who are the "misinformers"? I mean I can only think of the one fake guy...

There's plenty, although the typical post isn't so much misinformation as unsolicited advice to completely overhaul the OP's routine. But as far as misinformers, we could start with:

What information is wrong in my response?! I got this information out of a book.

Lol, this thread is ridiculous.

Lol, I'm curious… What book did you get your "information" from?

A ketogenic diet is perfectly healthy.

"The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

MyFitnessPal Moderator

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.