Not losing weight on low carb?

Options

Replies

• Kmhornak
    Kmhornak Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    2013sk wrote: »
    Why are you low carbing??? Just eat less calories and move more!

I love my carbs and need them to power my workouts!!! I love fruit too - I couldn't give this up! I would be so ratty & miserable too.

Dieting is all about a lifestyle change, Having what you want, but in moderation. Looking at your portion control etc. Also getting the most out of your calories.

My bmr is 1450 and I never eat under this, 1200 calories wont cut me, especially at 5 ft 9... I love my food too much!!!!

If that works for YOU then that is great. However, the medical expert I saw has put me on this plan and I actually feel great. I am not working out with cardio every single day. I cannot do carbs in my diet. Yes, carbs if you can do a good work out, but not when I have two children and my husband travels for work. I am lucky to get a shower most days.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 63% fat is low by any standard.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I'm not sure 63% fat is low by any standard.

Definitely more of a high-fat, low protein, low carb diet.
  • Kmhornak
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A lot of the fat I do get is from eggs and cheese. All the meat I eat is lean.

Added - I also eat almonds every day - exactly 28 (1 oz) of them. Ha ha!

And, don't I need the fat if I am eating low carb?

My 63% of fat yesterday still only gave me 1,287 calories for the day.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.
  • LoraF83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kmhornak wrote: »

I don't think anyone said you didn't need fat.

You said you were eating low fat. Which is incorrect if you're fat is 63%. And there's nothing wrong with eating high fat. It was just an inaccurate statement and some people were concerned that you were doing low fat and low carb.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Knowing your ratios now, its not what I was originally imagining. However, if you do want to add more calories in, there is nothing wrong with regular bacon, adding full fat dressing, or eating ground beef that has a higher fat content. There is nothing wrong with eating meat that isn't lean. Don't forget to count the oils/butters you are cooking with.

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »

Knowing your ratios now, its not what I was originally imagining. However, if you do want to add more calories in, there is nothing wrong with regular bacon, adding full fat dressing, or eating ground beef that has a higher fat content. There is nothing wrong with eating meat that isn't lean. Don't forget to count the oils/butters you are cooking with.

Why would she want to add MORE calories in? She's not losing weight on the calories she IS eating. So she needs to eat fewer of them, not more.
  • MelRC117
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tameko2 wrote: »

Why would she want to add MORE calories in? She's not losing weight on the calories she IS eating. So she needs to eat fewer of them, not more.

Its common to stall after a few weeks of eating low carb. Then after another week or 2 the loss continues. Just like other diets, there may be stalls, then drops again. If she is genuinely eating 1200 calories (weighing/measuring). Are you suggesting she goes below that even? I would actually hardly consider 1 week of no loss a stall.

• Kmhornak
    Options
    Kick-start your metabolism? I'd see a new nutritionist. Your metabolism should always be functioning...unless you're dead. In fact, eating in a calorie surplus for extended periods actually help metabolism, so unless you have a medical condition, you should be in a prime position FOR weight loss without doing anything special to your diet, outside of a calorie deficit.

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.
  • Kmhornak
    Options
    tameko2 wrote: »

Its common to stall after a few weeks of eating low carb. Then after another week or 2 the loss continues. Just like other diets, there may be stalls, then drops again. If she is genuinely eating 1200 calories (weighing/measuring). Are you suggesting she goes below that even? I would actually hardly consider 1 week of no loss a stall.

THANK YOU MelRC! That makes a lot of sense. And I agree, I cannot go under 1,200 calories. I won't allow myself to do that. For now, I will be patient and give it a few more weeks.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Basic water weight fluctuations. You haven't even been on this a whole hormone cycle, so there is no way you could know if you are stalled or not!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh your food.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

The purpose of a low carb diet is so that your body stops feeling hungry and burns the fat in your body. The lack of carbs help my blood sugars so that I am not feeling hungry all the time. High carbs diets lead to insulin spikes. It is working on that level. I don't have hunger cravings and I am not tired 24-7. I actually have energy. I have a call with my nutritionist today and will begin the next phase of this plan.

Those body responses in regards to carbs shouldn't effect your fat loss. Protein has the same reaction in the body. I ate high carb for weight loss on. However, I did prioritize hitting my nutrient needs and getting optimal proteins, fats, and fibers. I seem to have done fine losing fat.

Often, people get scammed into low carb under the assumption the weight loss is faster...when it all evens out. The only thing about low carb is you drop a lot of water weight at first, so it makes it appear you are losing faster. There's nothing special about it and you're not losing fat at any quicker rate than someone eating more carbs

For sustainability, absolutely go with what you can stick to. IF you are happy with this method and you're not feeling deprived, then by all means continue. Most people fail diets because they believe they have to cut things out and restrict. It's just not true.
  • Kmhornak
    Options
    So bombsell, you honestly eat poptarts for breakfast and chips for lunch and you don't get fat? Really...how does one do that? Even when not dieting, I don't eat like that. Unless you work out all day?

I am not being scammed by an expert at a hospital. The purpose is to not feel hungry and that part is working.
  • LoraF83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So bombsell, you honestly eat poptarts for breakfast and chips for lunch and you don't get fat? Really...how does one do that? Even when not dieting, I don't eat like that. Unless you work out all day?

I am not being scammed by an expert at a hospital. The purpose is to not feel hungry and that part is working.

I eat pop tarts for breakfast (well today it was a cupcake) and chips for lunch and I haven't gained a pound in a year.

I do exercise a lot. I mean, not all day.....I work, my husband works, I have a kid, and volunteer commitments. But I make time for regular exercise.

But that exercise just affects how much I can eat, not what I can eat.

If a low-carb diet works for you, that's great. But.....your lack of loss is directly related to your intake, so you just need to consider being more accurate.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is a post like this everyday. People don't loose 5 pounds of fat in a week. You loose a ton of water dieting especially on low carb diets. Expect to loose 1-2 pounds of fat a week over an extended period of time. You're doing fine as long as you have a general downward trend in your weight over several months.
  • MelRC117
    Options
    You CAN eat poptarts and chips AND lose weight. Its about a calorie deficit.

However, if you're like me, I find it difficult to eat just one or when trying to do a low calorie diet, eating appropriate nutrition because I prioritized foods with less nutrition in them. I could eat 4 pop tarts for breakfast. Then, be hungry later on before its lunch.

That's why I choose to eat low carb. When I'm in ketosis, I don't get as hungry, allowing me to maintain my deficit. I have also learned to prioritize protein and fats, and eat my veggies. I also feel a lot more energy.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    LAWL @ a nutritionist being a "medical expert". You do know there are no legal requirements you need to call yourself a nutritionist, right? None. Zero. So this "professional" may very well have exactly zero idea of what he's talking about. And based off what he's telling you, I'm gonna have to go with "Ignorant Fool Blowing Smoke for $200" please. You are being grossly mislead by this idiot. Please see a registered dietitian. That is the only title truly qualified to give in-depth diet and weight loss advice. Everyone else is 9/10 going to tell you some pretty ridiculous, non-science-based crap.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    2013sk wrote: »
    Why are you low carbing??? Just eat less calories and move more!

I love my carbs and need them to power my workouts!!! I love fruit too - I couldn't give this up! I would be so ratty & miserable too.

Dieting is all about a lifestyle change, Having what you want, but in moderation. Looking at your portion control etc. Also getting the most out of your calories.

My bmr is 1450 and I never eat under this, 1200 calories wont cut me, especially at 5 ft 9... I love my food too much!!!!

If that works for YOU then that is great. However, the medical expert I saw has put me on this plan and I actually feel great. I am not working out with cardio every single day. I cannot do carbs in my diet. Yes, carbs if you can do a good work out, but not when I have two children and my husband travels for work. I am lucky to get a shower most days.

This is wrong. Carbs are necessary in every diet, not just for people who work out/do cardio. I am actually quite unsure where you got that idea from. And I'm talking about more than the paltry 30g a day you say you're getting.

Find your TDEE, subtract 20% from that number, and eat the number of calories to lose weight at a reasonable and sustainable rate. Don't cut out or demonize any food groups.
This discussion has been closed.