Trophy Wife I am Not.

Options
clairabellle
clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
I need help, I am 44 and am in love with a man that is 19 years older than me.... This is very heart-felt and really it should stop there in a perfect world.
BUT this is not a perfect world!

My integrity has been questioned, my very existence is a source of conflict to my partners children who are grown and extremely successful in their own right. My partner is too.

And so am I!,
I have represented my country in sport to an international level, And was placed 3rd. I have been enlisted in my countries army where I also excelled top of class, this was male and female.... And guess what? I am female.

My point is; My partners children won't accept me after 4 years of being with my partner and we are now engaged.

After all I have worked for I have been branded a "Trophy Wife and a gold digger..
I do not look at things over emotionally and use a wise mind as much as I can.

Right now II am stumped and need a fresh perspective .

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    If you know you're not using him then it's no big deal can't make the whole world like you.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agreed. Easier said than done, I know. But honey, if after 4 years they still feel that way, they will always do. You know how you feel, don't waste your time to prove them wrong.
  • clairabellle
    Options
    Agreed, I have my own source of income. But all i want is to be accepted as loving this man. End of story.
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    Look at it from their perspective hun, he is almost old enough to be your father if he had a child at 19.

Its hard seeing another woman walk into dads life and therefore take time away from them. They may worry you are going to take away their inheritance.

This all may seem illogical to you but to them its a real fear. My only suggestion is to be nice to them hopefully one day they will realise you are genuine
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just going by what you have said here, it kind of sounds like his children are not ready for their dad to remarry. They may be immature, or jealous of his time, especially if he was single for a long time before you and got used to getting the lion's share of their dad's time and resources.
  • clairabellle
    Options
    Yes there is an inheritance and I have never expected my partner to choose as his children where there before me. I strongly believe in that. Family comes first. :heart:
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    How is he helping to smooth these waters?

They are children -- young adults, not kids. Their father made a choice and he should be telling them to mind their own business.
  • clairabellle
    Options
    They are 30, 36 & 38 respectfully.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Are you going to sign a pre-nup? You may not want to or like the idea, but if you do it may help his kids realize you are not after his money! Well, they aren't kids, but it sounded better than offspring. Have you asked them why they feel you are a gold digger?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There's probably a better website for an issue like this where you're more likely to find people who are/were in this situation. If you know you're true and he knows your true that's what really matters. Either his family will in time see the truth too or they won't.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    How is he helping to smooth these waters?

They are children -- young adults, not kids. Their father made a choice and he should be telling them to mind their own business.

I was thinking the same thing. Why does he not address this situation?
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My mom dated the same man since I was 9 not my father but growing up he was the closest thing I had to a father so that is how I looked at him as my father - They never married or lived together but they did have a child together and when I was 25 my mom broke things off with him at first I thought it was like the other times and they would get back together but when she started dating other people I was not a happy camper - I was grown, married and had my own child but believe you me I did not like this guy my mom was dating and sadly as I look back he was quite a nice man but in my eyes this was someone taking away my father and definantly was not supposed to be there in my book because it would ruin any chance of them getting back together

Is there mother still around? Maybe its resentment that you are there and they feel like their dad should be trying to work things out with her - Or if she is not around anymore perhaps its resentment that they think their dad moved on to quickly - Maybe you could try getting together with them 1 by 1 go to lunch have a nice talk with them and get to the root of the problem

**sad note**
    Sadly my mom got sick a few months later and she did die - And I have to say even all they had been thru the past year my "dad" was the their by her side the entire time
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I am assuming his children are fully grown adults? Shame on them for sticking their nose in. Your only worry should be that their selfish disapproval might get in the way of a single minute of happiness in your married life!
    If it makes you and he feel better, have a pre nup wherein you both leave with what you came in with in the event of a quick divorce, with a caveat that something go to the surviving partner when one of you dies.
    Everyone's days are numbered. Do not let them steal your joy!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    WAKE UP! THIS IS ALL BULL****...ENJOY YOUR LIFE:)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I need help, I am 44 and am in love with a man that is 19 years older than me.... This is very heart-felt and really it should stop there in a perfect world.
    BUT this is not a perfect world!

My integrity has been questioned, my very existence is a source of conflict to my partners children who are grown and extremely successful in their own right. My partner is too.

And so am I!,
    I have represented my country in sport to an international level, And was placed 3rd. I have been enlisted in my countries army where I also excelled top of class, this was male and female.... And guess what? I am female.

My point is; My partners children won't accept me after 4 years of being with my partner and we are now engaged.

After all I have worked for I have been branded a "Trophy Wife and a gold digger..
    I do not look at things over emotionally and use a wise mind as much as I can.

Right now II am stumped and need a fresh perspective .

Sounds like the kids see you interfering in their inheritance. Just love him and ignore them. Greed is an ugly thing.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what his children think. They seem more concerned about the money then their father being happy. Life is short, love him with everything you have. You have your own income and self worth, you don't need their acceptance or validation. Has your fiancé told his kids that he loves you and nothing is going to change? He needs to back you up and make you feel accepted and console you about his kids. There are so many bad things that happen in the course of a life, don't let this be one that impacts you. They are adults and if they don't respect their fathers wishes to be with you then you can never change their mind. Do you have children?
  • LAMAnRLA91909
    Options
    Don't worry about his "kids". At the ages of 30, 36, and 38 they should be mature enough to realize how much you love their father. . Marry the man you love, live your life with him, and be happy. Hopefully in time they will accept you as a part of their family. Best of luck to you.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My father and mother divorced when I was young. My dad never remarried, though I really wish he had. It's very sad to see him alone at 75. I hope your partner's grown children will reconsider their position and wish you and their father all the happiness in the world. Life is too short. Best wishes to you and your partner. :flowerforyou:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Yup, Sign a prenup. You can just get it undone later.
  • AmazeButt
    AmazeButt Posts: 6
    Options
    I could see their issue if you were 25 year's old with the brain of an eleven year old. They'll get over it, I'm sure.