Green Tea question?

Options
pandagirl813
pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
One of the biggest things you read about while researching weight loss is that green tea boosts your metabolism. Whenever i drink green tea i always add 2 tsp of sugar,so it doesn't taste like grass. I would like to start drinking more but do you think that there would be no point because of the sugar? Also does passion fruit tea help with weight loss(a friend gave me 5 boxes!)?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The benefits are minimal and the sugar is probably worse.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    HATE green tea. I am surrounded by green tea drinkers in work but even hate the smell. Give me regular coffee or tea with skim milk instead.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Green tea, without sugar, is a good 0 calorie option when you need some caffeine, but that's about it. No tea is going to help you lose weight.

The grassier the better for me. I matcha green tea which is really grassy lol.
  • kmack29_
    kmack29_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not proven about the weight loss benefits, but there do seem to be others.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/superfoods/pages/is-green-tea-a-superfood.aspx
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I enjoy drinking green tea, as well as other types of tea, with a packet of stevia and a some almond milk.
    It makes it enjoyable without all the calories.

I drink it because I like it, and because it may have the added benefit of being an anti-oxidant. I've read as well that it is supposed to boost metabolism, but I would guess that even if true, it is too minimal to have any real effect on weight loss.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    kmack29_ wrote: »
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.

Think youll find its 2l of fluid a day. Tea and Coffee count towards it.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The benefits are minimal and the sugar is probably worse.
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    It's the caffeine in the tea that gives your metabolism a boost. I love green tea but add no sugar. Green tea may have other benefits that many argue, but there is no sound evidence.
    Who knows?
    I drink a cup before training and feel more energy as the caffeine hits. You could take a swallow of coffee for the same effect.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    try jasmine green tea, it's delicuous. but for weight loss... there isn't such a thing i'm afraid!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Instead of buying green tea do this. Take the money you would have spent and throw it up in the air outside on a windy day. Watch it start to blow away. Now chase after it and collect the bills. The calories you burn will probably help your weight loss more than the green tea.
    I am going to put this in my miracle weight loss chapter of a book I'm writing! :o

• ElizabethTucker11
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Instead of buying green tea do this. Take the money you would have spent and throw it up in the air outside on a windy day. Watch it start to blow away. Now chase after it and collect the bills. The calories you burn will probably help your weight loss more than the green tea.
    Thanks for sharing your feelings.
    What is your exact suggestion?

• LuckyShimmer
    LuckyShimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally love plain green tea and I've heard that it boosts up the metabolism and due to that, helps lose weight. But honestly, my all-time favourite warm drink is black coffee. It boosts the metabolism, gives energy, one cup has about 2 cal. and it's warm and delicious.

Also, I suggest adding less sugar to your drinks. It only does good.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I drink diet green tea iced tea. I haven't noticed any effect on my metabolism.

I agree it isn't water but it does dilute my urine so it is hydrating for me somewhat
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Get the vanilla + green tea mix, does not taste as grassy.

Also, the sugar on it may be calories you can spend on eating something you'd like to eat instead, don't force something just because everyone else is doing it.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Green tea, without sugar, is a good 0 calorie option when you need some caffeine, but that's about it. No tea is going to help you lose weight.

The grassier the better for me. I matcha green tea which is really grassy lol.

agree 100%, even with the grassier the better comment...love my matcha tea
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kmack29_ wrote: »

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.

Wrong. Tea, coffee, soda, milk, juice, etc all count towards your water intake, just make sure all calories are logged.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There is a small amount of caffeine in green tea which may slightly boost your metabolism but it boosts it less than a caffeinated soda or coffee would. Nothing magical about green tea but it IS a good no calorie drink that potentially has some antioxidant benefits.