4 Ingredient French Toast..... Sweet Baby Jesus

Options
I saw this recipe on Lift Like a Girl’s Facebook page a while back. It sounded amazing! Just pure and simple clean eating. I saved the page for a morning when I had time to experiment. This morning I had off from work so I took some time and made this super quick breakfast. Believe me if you have enough time to make scrambled eggs, you can make this awesome healthy breakfast! I’m not saying this will be a perfect substitute for french toast, but it sure as heck comes close!

Ingredients

2 whole eggs
1/3 cup whole oats
Sprinkle of cinnamon, to taste
Dash of salt

Directions

Whisk the eggs in a small bowl then toss in the oats, cinnamon, and salt and stir to combine.
Boom! Done.

Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil, butter or canola oil and pour the combined ingredients in to the skillet. Cook it until you see the sides start to get a little golden brown. Flip the toast/cake over and cook it for another minute or so. I press down to make sure the center is somewhat firm and fully cooked. Get it on a plate. Instagram it. Bam! Eat it!

I had it this morning with light maple syrup but I’m dreaming up a hundred different ways to alter it. Tomorrow I think I’ll add a lot more cinnamon and dice up an apple to add to the mixture. There are a bunch more variations to the recipe over at http://www.niashanks.com/oatmeal-cake/

Let me know what you think! Personally I just found my new morning treat with not guilt attached!

You can find more of my blog over at http://foodtruce.wordpress.com/

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You forgot the bread?
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    this is awesome. Must try this week.
  • KMW1219
    KMW1219 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This does sound yummy!! I must try it! :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You forgot the bread?

This. Toast is made from.. you know... bread. What your recipe is is an oatmeal pancake type thing. Not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but it's not french toast.

French Toast:

Bread
    Egg
    Milk
    Cinnamon

Combine Egg, Milk & Cinnamon in a shallow bowl/pan/pie plate. Dredge bread through mixture on both sides and add to heated skillet. 2-3 minutes per side, per slice.

Bam, Done.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You meant pancake right?
  • 1pjah7
    1pjah7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Looks good, and is on my menu for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
  • KMW1219
    KMW1219 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    She said it was a substitute for French Toast... :-/
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    KMW1219 wrote: »

There is no subsititute
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yes, but she titled it as a 4 ingredient french toast... and it's not. I wouldn't even consider it a substitute for french toast, I'd say it's a substitute for pancakes, if anything.

Again, not trying to be nit-picky, but it's just not even close to french toast.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Totally not french toast but still sounds pretty good. I might try it!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Definitely not French Toast, but this still looks really tasty! I like your idea of adding apple to it. Going to give it a try the next time I eat breakfast at home!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try this-thanks!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You forgot the bread?

This. Toast is made from.. you know... bread. What your recipe is is an oatmeal pancake type thing. Not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but it's not french toast.

French Toast:

Bread
    Egg
    Milk
    Cinnamon

Combine Egg, Milk & Cinnamon in a shallow bowl/pan/pie plate. Dredge bread through mixture on both sides and add to heated skillet. 2-3 minutes per side, per slice.

Bam, Done.
    This and this.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the blog… is it supposed to look like vomit in a frying pan?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Nia calls it 4 ingredient French Toast Oatmeal-Cake and it is awesome
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

There is no subsititute

Truth! Those almost exact ingredients were in my "baked" oatmeal (egg whites instead of whole eggs). "Baked" because it was actually done in the microwave. Didn't taste like French toast, but it's still pretty good.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't care what it's called- it actually sounds pretty good! The next time I go to the grocery store, I think I'll pick up the ingredients and try this!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Couldn't fit cauliflower in there anywhere? >:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options
    lol. Call it what it is for Christ sakes and leave French toast alone.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Rough crowd tonight